Author Topic: NFL Broadcaster John Madden Retires  (Read 2318 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
NFL Broadcaster John Madden Retires
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:20:28 PM »

NEW YORK —  John Madden is retiring from football announcing, where his enthusiastic, down-to-earth style made him one of sports' most popular broadcasters for three decades.

The Hall of Fame coach spent the last three seasons on NBC's "Sunday Night Football." His final telecast was the Super Bowl in February.

"You know at some point you have to do this — I got to that point," Madden said on his Bay Area radio show Thursday. "The thing that made it hard is not because I'm second guessing, `is it the right decision?' But I enjoyed it so damn much.

"I enjoyed the game and the players and the coaches and the film and the travel and everything."

Cris Collinsworth will replace Madden, moving over from the network's studio show, NBC Sports chief Dick Ebersol said. Collinsworth filled in when Madden took a game off last October.

Ebersol called Madden "absolutely the best sports broadcaster who ever lived."

Madden said his health is fine, but at the age of 73, he wanted to spend more time with his family. His 50th wedding anniversary is this fall, and his five grandchildren are old enough to notice when he's gone.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,516737,00.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lord Undies

Re: NFL Broadcaster John Madden Retires
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:04:31 PM »
A graceful exit is a measure of class.  Madden certainly qualifies as genuine Americana.  I hope he has a nice long retirement.

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 08:08:17 PM »
Oh my goodness...I was so excited when I read this headline!  He annoys me to no end when I have ot listen to him!  I suffer throug hit to be able to watch the game, but I won't miss him!

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:30:21 PM »
Oh my goodness...I was so excited when I read this headline!  He annoys me to no end when I have ot listen to him!  I suffer throug hit to be able to watch the game, but I won't miss him!

He may have annoyed a lot of people...but as someone who's done football play by play...the things he said on air directly helped me improve my announcing skills.

My first thought when I heard that he'd retired was that the death of Harry Kallus might have spooked him.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:08:54 PM »
Sunday football won't be the same without Madden. I wish Dan Dierdorf would've retired instead of him.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:46:27 PM »
Am I the only one that remembers John Madden's commercials for Quincy's all-you-can-eat rib night?  Even the internet has failed me.  I can't find a copy anywhere.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:50:43 PM »
Am I the only one that remembers John Madden's commercials for Quincy's all-you-can-eat rib night?  Even the internet has failed me.  I can't find a copy anywhere.

It's probably on the same shelf as Julie Newmar's Snap-e Tom Tomato Juice Cocktail commercial.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:10:05 AM »
I think it was a Thursday.

Man, those were the days.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 12:17:51 AM »
Sucks to be a turkey. They're about to be unemployed.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline 9outof10

• Just Off Probation
  • Big Babboon ass lovin' to Mr. President.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »
Sucks to be a turkey. They're about to be unemployed.

Then there is also his bus driver.......

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 03:50:50 PM »
I will miss him. He seemed like he enjoyed football, and he wanted me to enjoy it, too. And he seemed like a regular guy, and not just somebody who finished at the top of his class in broadcasting school.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 06:38:13 AM »
Sunday football won't be the same without Madden. I wish Dan Dierdorf would've retired instead of him.

You've just given me an idea for a thread in the Sports Section.  Thanks.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford