Author Topic: From Karin's Linky: Angry Father Confronts Warren on Student Debt Plan ...  (Read 904 times)

Offline SVPete

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1287442220

highplainsdem (26,463 posts)

Angry Father Confronts Warren on Student Debt Plan: 'The Ones That Do The Right Thing Get Screwed?'

Posting this because it points out that there will be some backlash over student debt forgiveness.

And Sanders will run into it, too. Not just Warren.

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/watch-angry-father-confront-elizabeth-warren-on-selfie-line-people-who-paid-for-college-get-screwed/

The Valley Below (1,567 posts)

1. This is a real issue.

Many families scrimp and save for decades to make college for children as debt-free as possible. That's a real sacrifice.

People who felt they did the right thing will feel burned under such loan forgiveness plans.

blm (102,623 posts)

29. It isn't screwing any one over. When this country gets to singlepayer

at some point, will that mean that we somehow screwed over people like me who have been paying off high medical bills for the last ten years? No. And I wouldn’t even think in terms of being screwed over. Not to mention paying college tuition the last two years for baby blm.

Ruh-roh Raggy! ^Someone^ "got" the trap in the Iowa Dad's reasoning!

The Valley Below (1,567 posts)

41. Sure it is "screwing over people" to pay off student loans for some.

That is hardly "ideal."

Many eschewed high dollar universities, or went to community colleges, and worked--and parents sacrificed and paid the bills, while the Warren plans is "too bad for you."

That won't fly.

Then jberryhill went ad hominem on The Valley Below for heresy:

jberryhill (60,037 posts)

82. You are joking, right?

The GI Bill was for white people.

The auto bailout program must have really made you angry during the Obama administration.

Race Card played!

jberryhill (60,037 posts)

277. When Jimmy Carter pardoned draft evaders en masse, what did you say to the parents...

...who lost kids that were drafted and died in Vietnam?

Were you out complaining about that?

Peacenik Card played!

VERY long thread, not many actually taking on Iowa Dad's point. Pop up more :popcorn: !
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Mary Ann

A couple of them call the guy "selfish." Selfish? Really? Taking responsibility for your own expenses is selfish?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

I'm guessing 'The Valley Below' is either an actual taxpayer or hangs out with a lot of them, and 'jberryhill' isn't/doesn't.  And yes, Carter's amnesty DID screw over everyone who did their duty and the families who lost sons, fathers, brothers, etc., while rewarding the cowards and weasels.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Guess what,those that did struggle to pay off student debt are also the ones being handed the tab of debt forgiveness and FREEEEE! college.

Offline SVPete

Every member of my immediate family has a degree or "some college". I believe I'm the only one who had a student loan, and that was paid off when either Ford or Carter was President. Yeah, college is more expensive than then, but so were wages.

Being upset at getting stuck with the bill for others' less than wise choices - not saving, majors that have no remunerative career path, impractical choices of college/university - is not "selfish". Especially when you got college education without "needing" a taxpayer bail-out.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
A couple of them call the guy "selfish." Selfish? Really? Taking responsibility for your own expenses is selfish?

It is if you're a DUmbass. Remember a DUmbasses world is 180 degrees opposite of normal people.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Mary Ann

If you want to see college costs PLUMMET, take government $$$ out of it!!! There was a time when colleges had to be responsive to their market--students and/or the parents who were footing the bill. Now, they can charge anything they want and nobody cares. Which is why Liz Warren was way overpaid at Harvard.

(Of course, we'd probably be plagued by roving bands of unemployable college administrators.)

Offline landofconfusion80

(Of course, we'd probably be plagued by roving bands of unemployable college administrators.)
^^ totally fine with this. Way back when I was an RA, i was pushed by a massive drunk freshman. Wrote him up and described the altercation in full. He was a danger to the rest of my hall and i pressed hard for him to be kicked out. Administration would have none of it since he was such a big money maker for them. Numbers are everything to these people no matter the waste of space or harm to society.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline SVPete

... Which is why Liz Warren was way overpaid at Harvard.

That and being a Native American woman.

Offline Karin

Thanks, SVPete, for rowing it over.  My arms were tired. 

forthemiddle (729 posts)
323. 529 plans

My son is 30, and I remember these plans becoming very popular among the parents we talked to.

We instead saved in mutual funds, from the time my son was born to put towards his schooling. We paid half, he paid the other half, but let me tell you, saving for our children’s education was important to all of our peers, and yes, this debt forgiveness will put a bitter taste in all of our mouths. Why did we sacrifice, and save for all of those years?

The Warren supporters begged them to let the thread die.  And it did on Friday night, after 346 comments.  Some called dad a right wing asshole. 

Response to highplainsdem (Original post)
Fri Jan 24, 2020, 10:38 PM
 Blue_true (19,991 posts)
346. The guy had a point. Maybe he was a rightwing asshole, but he had a point.

Parents that saved to pay for their kids college so that the kids don't have to take out loans get screwed under debt erasure. They don't get the money they paid in back. This is why I favor a plan that calculates the reasonable cost of a year of college at each level (tuition, meals, board, travel between school and home only). People that had to take out loans get the debt erased. People that paid for their expenses get a credit that can be routed back to them through tax refunds until the credit goes to zero.

That cost would be enormous.  What about the people who didn't go to college?  They're footing the bill for Masters in basketweaving? 

Offline Mary Ann

Re: From Karin's Linky: Angry Father Confronts Warren on Student Debt Plan ...
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 06:07:54 PM »
That cost would be enormous.  What about the people who didn't go to college?  They're footing the bill for Masters in basketweaving?
Someone on that thread said it would cost NOTHING. It's just wiped off the books, no harm, no foul. And -these- are the smartestest people on the Internet.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 06:26:44 PM »
Someone on that thread said it would cost NOTHING. It's just wiped off the books, no harm, no foul. And -these- are the smartestest people on the Internet.
I'd like to know the political leanings of people on government assistance of all types, the results wouldn't be surprising if the DU is any indication
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 08:35:04 AM »
If you want to see college costs PLUMMET, take government $$$ out of it!!! There was a time when colleges had to be responsive to their market--students and/or the parents who were footing the bill. Now, they can charge anything they want and nobody cares. Which is why Liz Warren was way overpaid at Harvard.

This...People are worried about who will pay rather than why college costs so much.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke