Author Topic: Hard drive diagnostic tools  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Hard drive diagnostic tools
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:48:48 AM »
Does anyone have a reliable hard drive diagnostic tool (preferrably a bootable ISO) that they have used successfully?  I have a hard drive that I need to prove is bad before sending it back to the manufacturer for a replacement unit.

The laptops at work have Hitachi SATA drives in them.  I have a copy of the newest Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, but it hangs on startup and nobody here can seem to get it to work on a laptop.  It seems to work fine with the desktop machines, though.  We've tried previous versions of the HDFT with no luck.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Hard drive diagnostic tools
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:46:18 AM »
Does anyone have a reliable hard drive diagnostic tool (preferrably a bootable ISO) that they have used successfully?  I have a hard drive that I need to prove is bad before sending it back to the manufacturer for a replacement unit.

The laptops at work have Hitachi SATA drives in them.  I have a copy of the newest Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, but it hangs on startup and nobody here can seem to get it to work on a laptop.  It seems to work fine with the desktop machines, though.  We've tried previous versions of the HDFT with no luck.

Just a thought, but what about hooking up the laptop hard drive as a secondary (tertiary or other) drive to the desktop?? I've done that in the past.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:49:01 AM »
Someone else tried that... it didn't work.

I'm using Seagate's SeaTools.  I overlooked it earlier because I didn't expect it to work with a Hitachi drive.  As expected, I'm seeing dozens of errors with this disk.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:36:49 PM »
Someone else tried that... it didn't work.

I'm using Seagate's SeaTools.  I overlooked it earlier because I didn't expect it to work with a Hitachi drive.  As expected, I'm seeing dozens of errors with this disk.

yeah, it was an Hitachi drive that died recently in my desktop machine.

Bastids.  :bird:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:56:40 PM »
yeah, it was an Hitachi drive that died recently in my desktop machine.

Bastids.  :bird:

They only have a certain working life!! Beyond that, it's all luck & the generosity of the Computer Gods.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »
They only have a certain working life!! Beyond that, it's all luck & the generosity of the Computer Gods.

Yeah, I realize that. Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF).

I remember reading something like 100,000 hours was considered normal.

Let's see. There are 8,760 hours in a year. That freakin' hard drive was only a little over 3 years old. That's a little over 24K hours - call it an even 30K hours before the damn thing died.

Hitachi -- Piece Of Shit hard drive. Gimme a WD (though that one will die too, but usually when it's brand new -- not afterwards after it's been "broken in."
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »
Yeah, I realize that. Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF).

I remember reading something like 100,000 hours was considered normal.

Let's see. There are 8,760 hours in a year. That freakin' hard drive was only a little over 3 years old. That's a little over 24K hours - call it an even 30K hours before the damn thing died.

Hitachi -- Piece Of Shit hard drive. Gimme a WD (though that one will die too, but usually when it's brand new -- not afterwards after it's been "broken in."

I've had my share of WD drives fail even though they are my favorite brand. I had one lock up on me after being stored. That kind of aggravated me.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 03:08:01 AM »
SpinRite is a hdd diag tool that has worked quite well for me over the years. :)
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline namvet

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 08:34:10 AM »
mine simply said no HD can be found.

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:46:41 AM »
mine simply said no HD can be found.

Then it's REALLY broken.  Or it's not plugged in.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »

Maybe it's super efficient and state of the art+++. Maybe it runs on air.  :naughty:
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 12:29:51 PM »
You could simply have a bad cable, although I have yet to see a SATA cable go bad.  If you're using an IDE ribbon cable I'd replace it with a new one.  They're only a couple bucks if you don't have a spare lying around.

Offline namvet

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »

yep. mine was toast. fortunately I had the recovery CD's. I fixed it myself. its windows XP home which i like

usually they don't unplug themselves. they need someones help there.

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY