Author Topic: S.F. officials locked out of computer network  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
S.F. officials locked out of computer network
« on: July 16, 2008, 04:38:31 AM »
S.F. officials locked out of computer network

A disgruntled city computer engineer has virtually commandeered San Francisco's new multimillion-dollar computer network, altering it to deny access to top administrators even as he sits in jail on $5 million bail, authorities said Monday.

Terry Childs, a 43-year-old computer network administrator who lives in Pittsburg, has been charged with four counts of computer tampering and is scheduled to be arraigned today.

Prosecutors say Childs, who works in the Department of Technology at a base salary of just over $126,000, tampered with the city's new FiberWAN (Wide Area Network), where records such as officials' e-mails, city payroll files, confidential law enforcement documents and jail inmates' bookings are stored.

Childs created a password that granted him exclusive access to the system, authorities said. He initially gave pass codes to police, but they didn't work. When pressed, Childs refused to divulge the real code even when threatened with arrest, they said.

(more...)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: S.F. officials locked out of computer network
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:01:19 AM »
heh.

BOFH FAIL !!

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
Re: S.F. officials locked out of computer network
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 08:02:50 AM »
heh.

BOFH FAIL !!

Ive been the network admin for my company for years and learned most of my 'customer skills' from the BOFH, lol.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell