Author Topic: There's been a major shift towards acceptance of the Taliban.  (Read 741 times)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
There's been a major shift towards acceptance of the Taliban.
« on: February 23, 2009, 02:59:53 AM »
leftchick  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-22-09 09:32 PM
Original message
"There's been a major shift towards acceptance of the Taliban,"

sending more troops to fight the Taliban, who had NOTHING to do with the WTC attack on Sept. 11, is pure bullshit. What is the real reason? Oil? Pipelines? MIC/Corporate Profits? It is most certainly not for "our freedoms".

Obama's Yes-We-Can War: More Troops to Afghanistan

Link

[snip]

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5111902

Oil pipelines ? That's so 2002 era. At least get your damn conspiracies updated.

Corporate Profits ? That's about on par with the oil pipeline herring.

leftchick  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Sun Feb-22-09 09:38 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. I keep hearing this

And it makes about as much sense as the bush initial invasion, it doesn't. The facts are, you do not stop terrorism with bullets. You stop it with the use of intelligence resources, which btw indicate if he is anywhere it is in Pakistan NOT Afghanistan. So my questions stand, why the **** are we still there?

Bubba's "blowjobs not bombs" tactic worked real well there didn't it ?

FreakinDJ  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-22-09 09:57 PM
Response to Reply #3
9. Osama's head on a stick paraded down the streets of Kabul

would have been the VERY BEST deterent to future acts of Terrorism against the United States.

Until then....

I like this idea.

scarletwoman  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-22-09 10:14 PM
Response to Reply #4
12. The Taliban offered to turn over Bin Laden. A fact that many seem to have forgotten.

Posts like yours make me wonder if people were paying ANY attention to what was really happening back then. Or was everybody just too drunk on their bloodlust.

Speaking of paying attention ...

As I recall it the US said "hand him over and no one gets hurt" , and the taliban said "well why should we ?"

geek tragedy  (1000+ posts)  Mon Feb-23-09 02:15 AM
Response to Reply #33
41. Yes, those honorable Taliban. Go fight alongside your ideological

brothers.

****ing Christ. They had been ordered to turn him over by the UN after he bombed the US embassies in Africa.

Honor. Amazing that some people can be so stupid as to believe that horseshit.

Amazing that some DU'ers are incapable of seeing that this level of stupid is pretty much par for the course at DU.

scarletwoman  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Feb-23-09 02:43 AM
Response to Reply #41
45. Yeah, like anyone pays attention to what the U.N. "orders".

I didn't say the Taliban were honorable, I said they were honoring their cultural traditions regarding guests. It is a statement of fact.

Oh, and take your "ideological brothers" horsehit and shove it.

That fact seems to be lost on you whenever the UN orders something you dislike. Like say 1441 or any of the preceding resolutions dealing with Iraq.

geek tragedy  (1000+ posts) Mon Feb-23-09 02:14 AM
Response to Reply #22
40. Not all anti-Bush leftists are pro-America or even progressive. n/t

Really ? No shit ?

babylonsister  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Feb-22-09 09:55 PM
Response to Original message
8. VetVoice, for a difference of opinion:

http://www.vetvoice.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=2475

I wanted to Stop Bush's Surge, but I Support Obama's Stabilization

"I was against it before I was for it"

leftchick  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-22-09 10:15 PM
Response to Reply #8
13. that is a ridiculous argument by them

if more than half of the population supports the Taliban, as it appears, NOTHING the US can do will change anything except creating more chaos, terrorist wannabes and death. Reality sucks to militarists.

I believe this is complete Fantasy, especially as we bomb Afghan civilians daily...

<snip>

More U.S. troops are absolutely necessary to turn the tide in Afghanistan, but American troops are a short-term answer to a lasting set of problems. Supporting Afghan and Pakistani governments that can meet the needs of their own people--including security--must be the long-term solution. The paradoxes of counterinsurgency detailed here, counterintuitive though they may be, provide the best guideposts on the rocky trail toward success. It will not be the death or capture of every last enemy fighter that wins this war, but creating a position of strength from which to negotiate a lasting political solution to a cycle of conflict with no other end in sight.

good lord this is complete fantasy! I wish SOMEONE would read a ****ing history book instead of 'MILITARY MANUALS'!

You mean read one of the history books that leftist scum like you are constantly trying to rewrite so they fit your PC blinders worldview.

Prometheus Bound  (87 posts) Mon Feb-23-09 03:39 AM
Response to Reply #55
59. Anyone advocating war who doesn't at least try to sign up isn't worth listening to.

I just can't imagine pushing for a war and expecting someone else to fight it for me. What's the word. It starts with a 'C'.

Ahh the chickenhawk meme again. How nostalgic.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: There's been a major shift towards acceptance of the Taliban.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:15:06 AM »
scarletwoman  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-22-09 10:14 PM
Response to Reply #4
12. The Taliban offered to turn over Bin Laden. A fact that many seem to have forgotten.

Posts like yours make me wonder if people were paying ANY attention to what was really happening back then. Or was everybody just too drunk on their bloodlust.

Who was it that said no....................?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:06:48 PM »

Who was it that said no....................?

This gifted and talented one is thinking of billy jeff and the Sudanese.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:37:03 PM »
This gifted and talented one is thinking of billy jeff and the Sudanese.

You get a lolipop, but no pony.   :tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 04:59:42 PM »
If the Taliban had turned over bin Laden, they would probably still be running Ashcanistan