Current Events > Breaking News

A.P. Cracks Down on Unpaid Use of Articles on Web

(1/9) > >>

bijou:
Taking a new hard line that news articles should not turn up on search engines and Web sites without permission, The Associated Press said Thursday that it would add software to each article that shows what limits apply to the rights to use it, and that notifies The A.P. about how the article is used.

Tom Curley, The A.P.’s president and chief executive, said the company’s position was that even minimal use of a news article online required a licensing agreement with the news organization that produced it. In an interview, he specifically cited references that include a headline and a link to an article, a standard practice of search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo, news aggregators and blogs.

Asked if that stance went further than The A.P. had gone before, he said, “That’s right.” The company envisions a campaign that goes far beyond The A.P., a nonprofit corporation. It wants the 1,400 American newspapers that own the company to join the effort and use its software.

“If someone can build multibillion-dollar businesses out of keywords, we can build multihundred-million businesses out of headlines, and we’re going to do that,” Mr. Curley said. The goal, he said, was not to have less use of the news articles, but to be paid for any use. ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/24/business/media/24content.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

Chris_:
The newsprint industry, as well as the broadcast networks news operations are circling the drain, so they decide to attempt to wring a few more nickles out of a lousy product......

Great move.....best of luck.......

As if there are not millions of web sources for news besides AP.........

doc

seabelle:
AP has been circling the drain for years, not to mention deep in Obama's pockets.  Doesn't CU ban using these articles?  Not that I blame them.

I won't use them anymore, they depend too much on smacking down conservatives with too many "sources say" credit to legitimize their, uhm, journalism.

Chris:

--- Quote from: seabelle on July 25, 2009, 12:31:37 PM ---AP has been circling the drain for years, not to mention deep in Obama's pockets.  Doesn't CU ban using these articles?  Not that I blame them.

I won't use them anymore, they depend too much on smacking down conservatives with too many "sources say" credit to legitimize their, uhm, journalism.

--- End quote ---
I'm pretty sure the mods and admins at FR enforce a non-AP policy.  Don't know about CU.

seabelle:

--- Quote from: Chris on July 25, 2009, 12:42:08 PM ---I'm pretty sure the mods and admins at FR enforce a non-AP policy.  Don't know about CU.

--- End quote ---

Found it:

http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=13296

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version