Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg has torn ligament, out 12-18 months  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Stephen Strasburg has torn ligament, out 12-18 months
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
Stephen Strasburg has a torn elbow ligament and most likely needs Tommy John surgery, bringing the pitcher's promising rookie season to an abrupt end.

Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Friday an MRI on the right elbow revealed a "significant tear."

Strasburg will travel to the West Coast for a second opinion, but Rizzo anticipates the 22-year-old right-hander will need the operation that requires 12 to 18 months of rehabilitation.

"I look at the bright side," Rizzo said. "Tommy John surgery is a surgery that we've had great success at. The success rate for guys coming back from Tommy John and retaining their stuff is very good."

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft, Strasburg struck out 14 batters in a sensational major league debut in June. He is 5-3 with a 2.91 ERA and 92 strikeouts in 68 innings.

LINK

Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Stephen Strasburg has torn ligament, out 12-18 months
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:21 AM »
Stephen Strasburg has a torn elbow ligament and most likely needs Tommy John surgery, bringing the pitcher's promising rookie season to an abrupt end.

Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Friday an MRI on the right elbow revealed a "significant tear."

Strasburg will travel to the West Coast for a second opinion, but Rizzo anticipates the 22-year-old right-hander will need the operation that requires 12 to 18 months of rehabilitation.

"I look at the bright side," Rizzo said. "Tommy John surgery is a surgery that we've had great success at. The success rate for guys coming back from Tommy John and retaining their stuff is very good."

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft, Strasburg struck out 14 batters in a sensational major league debut in June. He is 5-3 with a 2.91 ERA and 92 strikeouts in 68 innings.

LINK

I kinda doubt that he'll have a 102-mph fastball when he comes back, maybe more in the 97- to 98-mph range.  That's still fast as all Hell.  If he retains that 12-6 curveball and can develop a killer changeup, look out.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:49:25 PM »
Mark Prior Rd. 2...
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
Mark Prior Rd. 2...

Yep, and Prior had supposedly perfect mechanics.

TINSTAAPP

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 07:27:19 PM »
Ken Rosenthal is apparently saying that Strasburg could come back stronger than before. 
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
Ken Rosenthal is apparently saying that Strasburg could come back stronger than before. 

We need a dope smokin' smiley for Ken Rosenthal.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline ConservativeJoeG

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:51:05 AM »
What a blow to the National franchise.  The hype that surrounded this guy was leading to increased ticket sales and revenue.  They actually had the makings of a solid rotation with Jordan Zimmerman coming back from surgery.  Oh well, I guess they will have to wait till 2012 to be relevant.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 09:22:44 AM »
We need a dope smokin' smiley for Ken Rosenthal.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 09:29:28 AM »
What a blow to the National franchise.  The hype that surrounded this guy was leading to increased ticket sales and revenue.  They actually had the makings of a solid rotation with Jordan Zimmerman coming back from surgery.  Oh well, I guess they will have to wait till 2012 to be relevant.

I woulodn't just toss them away just yet, there.  Bryce Harper is going to make a splash.  Their new closer is a good one, too.

Chase her.

Offline ConservativeJoeG

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 08:58:05 AM »
Isn't Harper only 17? If I had to guess, he'll still be in the minors when Stephen gets back.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:00:04 AM »
Isn't Harper only 17? If I had to guess, he'll still be in the minors when Stephen gets back.

Yes, Harper won't even turn 18 until October.  Apparently he put on quite a batting practice display last week at Nationals Park.  I don't know how soon they'd move him up to the bigs.  He'll be an interesting one to watch.