Author Topic: Mark Steyn: Mumbai could happen just about anywhere  (Read 1797 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Mark Steyn: Mumbai could happen just about anywhere
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:41:13 AM »
When terrorists attack, media analysts go into Sherlock Holmes mode, metaphorically prowling the crime scene for footprints, as if the way to solve the mystery is to add up all the clues. The Mumbai gunmen seized British and American tourists. Therefore, it must be an attack on Westerners!

Not so, said Newsweek's Fareed Zakaria. If they'd wanted to do that, they'd have hit the Hilton or the Marriott or some other target-rich chain hotel. The Taj and the Oberoi are both Indian-owned, and popular watering holes with wealthy Indians.

OK, how about this group that's claimed responsibility for the attack? The Deccan Mujahideen. As a thousand TV anchors asked Wednesday night, "What do we know about them?"

Er, well, nothing. Because they didn't exist until they issued the press release. "Deccan" is the name of the vast plateau that covers most of the triangular peninsula that forms the lower half of the Indian subcontinent. It comes from the Prakrit word "dakkhin," which means "south." Which means nothing at all. "Deccan Mujahedeen" is like calling yourself the "Continental Shelf Liberation Front."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ideology-mumbai-gunman-2242227-muslim-terrorists
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Mark Steyn: Mumbai could happen just about anywhere
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 09:48:39 AM »
I kind of think that Mumbai might be a "dress rehearsal" for someplace in the US.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 09:51:39 AM »
Imagine a similar scenario in Miami Beach, Santa Monica, or Honolulu.  Not so farfetched.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 09:53:34 AM »
Imagine a similar scenario in Miami Beach, Santa Monica, or Honolulu.  Not so farfetched.

I was thinking more like one of those huge Gaylord Hotel/Resports...or someplace like Disneyworld.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 10:17:42 AM »
I was thinking more like one of those huge Gaylord Hotel/Resports...or someplace like Disneyworld.

Possible as well, but the places I listed have many hotels easily accessible to beaches with significant merchant shipping traffic.  Even launching a Zodiac off a ship coming into San Pedro and attacking hotels in Long Beach would have a devestating effect.  Where the attacks in Mumbai were so effective was the fact that the targets were very close to the ocean, so close that authorities had no time to react.  If one were to try something like Orlando there is somewhat of a possible warning/lead time.

I left off places like Chicago/New York/San Francisco because in the case of the first two, security and local law enforcement is pretty much on their toes, and the tourist concentrations are not along the shoreline as they were in Mumbai.  But imagine, if you've ever been to Honolulu, sailing into Ala Wai and going from there.  The devestation of a similar attack from there would be mind-boggling.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 11:37:47 AM »
Possible as well, but the places I listed have many hotels easily accessible to beaches with significant merchant shipping traffic.  Even launching a Zodiac off a ship coming into San Pedro and attacking hotels in Long Beach would have a devestating effect.  Where the attacks in Mumbai were so effective was the fact that the targets were very close to the ocean, so close that authorities had no time to react.  If one were to try something like Orlando there is somewhat of a possible warning/lead time.

I left off places like Chicago/New York/San Francisco because in the case of the first two, security and local law enforcement is pretty much on their toes, and the tourist concentrations are not along the shoreline as they were in Mumbai.  But imagine, if you've ever been to Honolulu, sailing into Ala Wai and going from there.  The devestation of a similar attack from there would be mind-boggling.

Imagine an attack on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City.  Couple Zodiacs onto the beach and there you go.

There's a big new fancy Gaylord Hotel across the Potomac from D.C.  I can see it from the GW Parkway when I drive to work.

Targets everywhere...yet the left thinks we're just being paranoid.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 12:23:11 PM »
Typical, y'all ain't even talking about the "flyover country". The Mall of America is one BIG target, with their hotel areas and all....

Lots of muslims in Minneapolis already.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »
Typical, y'all ain't even talking about the "flyover country". The Mall of America is one BIG target, with their hotel areas and all....

Lots of muslims in Minneapolis already.

Yeah I was reading something today on Newsbusters about Somali "agents" recruiting from the Somail's in Minneapolis to return to the homeland for a "visit".

But it seems that the Strib was downplaying the link between the "visits" and the country's cast terrorist links.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 01:20:16 PM »
There was a saying in Russia during Stalin that if there were three conspiritors at a meeting, one was a police spy. NOW, FOR VERY DIFFERENT REASONS, that seems to be the case in the USA. Sleeper Agents , from the islamofascist view, go bad and chose the materialism of the West over the "Garden with a River Beneath" of the martyr's grave.

Whereas in places like India , there is no positive pragmatic change possible yet. Reasons, time lapse between insertion and attack, and widespread poverty.

I suspect the next attack on the USA of any consequence will be chemical, biological of a dirty bomb. The ultimate goal, of course, is a nuclear device at NYC or WashingtoN DC.. San Fran , tho., is quickly becoming  a secondary taerget.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 01:23:46 PM »
The ultimate goal, of course, is a nuclear device at NYC or WashingtoN DC.. San Fran , tho., is quickly becoming  a secondary taerget.

Talked to an officer with the Capitol Police's version of SWAT a few months back...he says they plan for "when" not "if" the next attack comes..and that yes D.C. is a prime target.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 07:45:39 PM »
Any place people are concentrated is a 'Prime target,' and the more vulnerable the type of people are at the location, the better for the terrorists.  The point is simultaneously obvious, uselessly large in terms of possible target analysis, and often largely ignored by our defense/police/AT organizations, who devote a large proportion of their efforts to further hardening some of the least likely targets possible.

The main limitation the terrorists have is their own tenuous logistics, which means it usually takes them 12-24 months to move all the pieces around the board to mount a major international move without compromising it.  Intelligence gathering and analysis is the primary threat to them, not the capabilities of reaction forces (important as that may be).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:54:04 PM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 07:52:23 PM »
CNN had an interview of some ****in' woman from Los Angeles.  She said "it wasn't so bad" and that she "survived by eating snacks out of the minibar".
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 08:08:44 PM »
CNN had an interview of some ******' woman from Los Angeles.  She said "it wasn't so bad" and that she "survived by eating snacks out of the minibar".

What's her DU name?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 08:11:50 PM »
What's her DU name?

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw it.  ****in' idiot woman. 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »
Imagine an attack on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City.  Couple Zodiacs onto the beach and there you go.

There's a big new fancy Gaylord Hotel across the Potomac from D.C.  I can see it from the GW Parkway when I drive to work.

Targets everywhere...yet the left thinks we're just being paranoid.

Are you kidding? if the muzzies got in between an old lady and her favorite slot machine I would put my money on the old lady  :-)
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005