Author Topic: I heard on one of the TV shows...  (Read 1002 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
I heard on one of the TV shows...
« on: December 02, 2018, 06:44:33 PM »
ashling (25,417 posts) https://upload.democraticunderground.com/100211502757

Today I heard on one of the TV shows

I don't remember who, or what network,but someone said, in regard to Trump lieing to the American people, that it is a crime to lie to the FBI, but no to lie to the people.

So here is the question: why?

It seems that in a democracy a lie to the American people, by a candidate in a campaign should be a crime ... as well as by an elected official. It is a serious form of corruption, the same as a bribe.

Am I crazy? ... let me restate that ...is this idea crazy?

If you like your Dr., you can keep your Dr.

RDANGELO (1,943 posts)

1. If the lie is big enough, the remedy is impeachment. n/t

“More young black men languish in prison than attend colleges and universities across America”
“We signed into law the biggest middle-class tax cut in history”
“90 percent of the budget deficit is due to George W. Bush’s policies”
“If you like your health-care plan, you can keep it”
“The Capitol Hill janitors just got a pay cut”
“The day after Benghazi happened, I acknowledged that this was an act of terrorism”
“I didn’t call the Islamic State a ‘JV’ team”
“Republicans have filibustered 500 pieces of legislation”
“We have fired a whole bunch of people who are in charge of these [VA] facilities”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/01/19/obamas-biggest-whoppers/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d1e8c01ecf03

shanny (3,736 posts)

3. I get your point but am not sure how it could be enforced.

Politicians spin, shade the truth, misspeak, and yes, lie all the time. Other than a lawsuit after the fact (along the lines of truth-in-advertising) I don't see how to fix it. But I do disagree with the above poster who suggested impeachment as a remedy: a remedy that is unworkable is not a remedy at all.

Star Member Me. (21,921 posts)

5. Fix Gerrymandering

and vote the sucker out

Nictuku (1,725 posts)

14. They should be under oath whenever speaking on behalf of the office they were elected to.

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: I heard on one of the TV shows...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 07:05:56 AM »
Uhm, what about all the posts on DU during the midterms that were saying their candidates were just saying what they needed to to get elected, then they could do what they really planned to do?  All that seemed fine and good just a scant month ago.  Just saying.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:54:58 AM »
Ah did not have sex with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 08:29:40 AM »
Star Member Me. (21,921 posts)

5. Fix Gerrymandering

and vote the sucker out
How exactly does gerrymandering affect presidential elections (except for Nebraska and Maine)?

There needs to be a test to weed out people from voting who have no idea how elections work.

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 04:54:57 PM »
A matter of national security and he knew about it and ****ing lied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxnFoFOyn48&t=3s