Author Topic: Uber: How the **** do you get them on the phone?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Uber: How the **** do you get them on the phone?
« on: November 28, 2018, 02:04:52 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211483786

Ok, this thread is a hoot for several reasons.  First the smartest people on the internet can't figure out how to get Uber to their location.  Second, they are all talking about how much they use Uber and Lyft, while decrying how they don't pay their people anything, but they won't take a taxi because it's too freaking expensive!  LOL  Oh man, these people.

Wed Nov 28, 2018, 12:56 PM
Star Member Cyrano (10,835 posts)

Uber: How the **** do you get them on the phone?

I drive my own car. I've always driven my own car.

But sometimes, I need a ride, so I googled Uber. There was countless information there. They printed everything you wanted to know except what you needed to know.

Turns out there is no customer service number. There's no one to help you join. Everything is in print. There is no person you can talk to help you join, or give you info.

I tried Lyft. Pretty much the same thing.

I'm pissed and have a **** 'em attitude right now.

Any suggestions on how to reach these "convenient" services?

Star Member Cyrano (10,835 posts)

4. But I want to talk to them first.

I've googled both, but they don't have a phone numbers where you can ask questions and then join up.

What are they hiding? Why can't you reach them? Why don't they make convenience a priority?

Cyrano (10,835 posts)

16. Just linked to it. Not that helpful.

Told me how to become a driver. Didn't tell me how to sign up, how to get a ride when needed, costs, etc.

Useless.

Really need to talk to a person.

My conclusion is that Uber, Lyft, etc. are bots. At the moment, they seem to be working for many. But what if they are Aliens or Republicans who have figured out a new way to screw up humanity, how we get around, and **** up everything we take for granted?

Sorry, but I'm really getting frustrated with not being able to talk to a customer service person. So as Charlie Brown would say, "Aaaghu."

Star Member lpbk2713 (34,891 posts)

11. They would have to pay several people to answer a CS line.

They would rather put that money in their pockets and
let you work out your own silly little problems. 

I'm sure they would have no problem setting up a customer service line ... are you willing to pay for it?  Because THEY don't pay for anything, that's how business works.  It's why taxes on corporations don't work, because they don't pay them, you do.

Thomas Hurt (2,484 posts)

13. IMHO they purposely do not what to talk to you on the phone, that would require...

paying full time employees with benefits and such to man a customer service group....the horror!

Another business major, I see.

gratuitous (63,016 posts)

15. No, you can't contact Uber directly

A couple of years ago, a driver with both Uber and Lyft stickers cut me off at a corner, made a couple of turns without signaling, dropped off his passenger without pulling over to the curb, and then ran a stop sign without signaling his turn. It was appalling, and would have cost a cab driver quite a bit (my wife is the office manager for a cab company), if not his license.

I wanted to report this guy, and while Lyft had an internet portal to make a complaint, there was no phone number to talk to someone there. I sent an email to Lyft, which gave me a canned "Your concerns are very important to us" response, but nothing after that. But Uber? No, there's no way a common citizen can get in touch with Uber without downloading their app to a smart phone. Try as I might, I couldn't find a phone number, an internet portal, or even an address to write an old-fashioned letter. Uber doesn't want to hear from the rabble, and they don't care about corporate citizenship. Just let them into your urban locale, let them destroy the cab and for-hire businesses, and loot your citizens while paying their drivers a pittance in the brave new world of the gig economy.

No bias there, I'm sure.

FSogol (39,673 posts)

24. Use a taxi company, they are regulated by your local govt and safe. Unlike web-based companies

set up by soulless libertarians to avoid regulations and safety standards!

Flame away uber drivers!

Hey, the reason all of these folks use Uber is because it's more convenient and cheaper.  Even if Uber were to raise prices to match the cab companies I'll bet they would still kick ass because they can get to you quicker.  Typical liberal.  Wants everything cheaper, but wants more regulation.

And from another thread about the same thing, by the same poster;

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211483998

JCanete (4,776 posts)

8. Dang, I thought this was going to be about how the average Uber driver nets like 2.50 an hour nation

wide. Was all ready to back you. The customer service point on the other hand, is a model that allows you to reject it because it doesn't suit you, in favor of taxi services. The shitty pay that these employees get on the other hand is generally under the hood(and even hard for the driver's themselves to fully evaluate since the tax on their income is in their vehicle maintainence, etc), so that Uber and Lyft's attractive fast response and fairly cheap fairs are enticing enough for people to pick those services over something with a customer service line. And of course because of their success, they've certainly taken a bite out of taxi driver's livelihoods.

I agree that patronizing these services is generally bad though.

No one forces them to drive for Uber or Lyft.  If they are making $2.50/hour and happy with it, what's your beef?

KC

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Uber: How the **** do you get them on the phone?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »
Uh, question.

…..the average Uber driver nets like 2.50 an hour.....

There isn't anybody doing this for 2.50 an hour, net.

Does one suppose that figurer comes from reported income rather than real income?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:39:36 PM »
Uh, question.

Does one suppose that figurer comes from reported income rather than real income?

I honestly don't know.  Full disclosure, I've never used an Uber and have no idea how it works.  I do know I can download the app and walk through it, but I've never done it.  I don't live in an area where this is a thing and when I've been in areas where I needed a ride I just look for a cab, hold up my arm and they pull over.

I have read they don't make a lot of money, but they are independent contractors who work as they want.  I'm sure if you're wanting to make more money you could just by being available more often.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »

I honestly don't know.  Full disclosure, I've never used an Uber and have no idea how it works.  I do know I can download the app and walk through it, but I've never done it.  I don't live in an area where this is a thing and when I've been in areas where I needed a ride I just look for a cab, hold up my arm and they pull over.

I have read they don't make a lot of money, but they are independent contractors who work as they want.  I'm sure if you're wanting to make more money you could just by being available more often.

KC

I use Uber ALL the time.  To begin with, yes there is a support number but you have to dome digging on their site to find it.

Uber is great for pickups from home.  At some airports like DFW it is a pain to wait for Uber so I just take a taxi (Uber is about 30% cheaper but it isn't that far to my house).  In Los Angeles, OTOH, Uber is like 60% cheaper or more.

Uber is also great when you need a short run and you don't have your vehicle.  Just copen the app and they don't care if it is 2 miles or 200 miles.  Tell a Taxi you are going 2 miles and he will have a cow.

They all have their place but I really love Uber.

And every time there has been a problem (like one time a car did not pick us up bc it was too small), they are SUPER quick to apply a refund and have given me trip credit on top of that if it was a problem.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 04:53:01 PM »
correct me if I'm wrong, but from a quick google look up of both companies, I see they are both headquartered in the liberal bastion of san francisco which leads me to believe they are not owned by conservatives, so DUmmies, STFU.  These are your people.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 04:58:42 PM »
google search :How do I contact Uber customer service by phone?

Conclusion
Call (800) 353-UBER – for emergencies ONLY.
Use the Uber Partner Support feature within in the Uber app.
Visit the official Uber Help Portal.
Email the customer support line.
Reach out via live chat (from 5am – 12am PST)
Search online for a local partner website (not available in every city)

damn, that took me 7.35 seconds to figure out...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »
I have been reading their GM threads lately where they say Lyft and Uber use by millennial is what is killing them (among a host of other things).  Of course the only consistent thing about all their threads is the inconsistency but that would deserve a whole thread of its own to discuss.  I did a google on the current GM threads over there and if one wants some entertainment these should provide it in spades. 

(what I used for a search and a segment of the threads returned below: * GM * site:democraticunderground.com) 

About thisGM THING Democratic Underground
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211482574
12 hours ago - I recall in 1980 the late "great" Ronnie Reagan took a trip to Pittsburgh, donned a hardhat and went to the steel mills which, at that time, were ...

Trump retweets item saying GM should pay back bailout money ...
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211484269
16 hours ago - 19 posts - ‎14 authors
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Wednesday retweeted a suggestion that General Motors Co. should pay back the money the ...

One GM Plant Closing in the US Means Very Little to the Company ...
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211478696
2 days ago - 15 posts - ‎12 authors
Here is a list of other GM plants that are currently open and running around the world: 6th of October City, Egypt Batilly, France Bogotá ...

GM made cars and Americans didnt buy them Democratic Underground
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211477177
2 days ago - 101 posts - ‎73 authors
I'm not sure what the people screaming at GM expect them to do. ... Reply GM made cars, and Americans didn't buy them (Original post).

GM to lay off 1,000 Where is SuperDrumpf Democratic Underground
https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10028527583
2 posts - ‎1 author
Reply GM to lay off 1,000. Where is SuperDrumpf? (Original post) ... He's preparing to lay a 35% tariff on GM if they do it. TheCowsCameHome, Jan 2017, #1 ...

GM bought back $10 billion in stock since 2015 double what job ...
https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10142211728
2 days ago - 10 posts - ‎9 authors
Wall Street seemed to believe her, with GM's stock rising nearly 5 ... Reply GM bought back $10 billion in stock since 2015, double what job ...

Trump studying new auto tariffs after GM restructuring Democratic ...
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211484321
16 hours ago - 4 posts - ‎3 authors
President Donald Trump on Wednesday said new auto tariffs are "being studied now," asserting they could prevent job cuts such as the U.S. ...

Ohio GM Workers Voted for Trump Now They Want Him toStep Up ...
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211482239
2 days ago - 6 posts - ‎5 authors
<President Donald Trump said he expects General Motors to keep an Ohio assembly complex open after its production of the Chevrolet Cruze ...

Maryland offers help to displaced White Marsh GM employees ...
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10562679
4 hours ago - Maryland offers help to displaced White Marsh GM employees. By Jeff Clabaugh | @wtopclabaugh. November 27, 2018 11:22 am

GM to cut car production in North America halt some models source ...
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142210352
3 days ago - 2 posts - ‎1 author
Cost pressures on GM and other automakers and suppliers have increased ...

Of course it was it was Obama who threw GM the lead life ring in the first place but that seems to have gained little attention in any of the threads.  Imagine that?  Anyway, there is plenty of blame to spread around and the DUmmies are good at spreading it.   :pokingpoop:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 07:12:20 PM »
There's lots of blame to spread around GM manglement and the UAW. One significant factor is that OhBummer! made sure GM still had the UAW Albatross ringing and wringing GM's neck.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 07:30:03 PM »
google search :How do I contact Uber customer service by phone?

damn, that took me 7.35 seconds to figure out...

Well, that's easy to understand. You're smarter than all of the DUmmies put together by a factor of 100.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »
I use Uber ALL the time.  To begin with, yes there is a support number but you have to dome digging on their site to find it.

Uber is great for pickups from home.  At some airports like DFW it is a pain to wait for Uber so I just take a taxi (Uber is about 30% cheaper but it isn't that far to my house).  In Los Angeles, OTOH, Uber is like 60% cheaper or more.

Uber is also great when you need a short run and you don't have your vehicle.  Just copen the app and they don't care if it is 2 miles or 200 miles.  Tell a Taxi you are going 2 miles and he will have a cow.

They all have their place but I really love Uber.

And every time there has been a problem (like one time a car did not pick us up bc it was too small), they are SUPER quick to apply a refund and have given me trip credit on top of that if it was a problem.

Ditto here.  They are both excellent services.  Have only had one bad driver.  Might elaborate later on.

Free market, whiny libs.  Cab companies/service in my metro area, while large is a monopoly and if one needs an airport ride at 5 am or 1 am, ridiculous cost & wait time.  Through their apps, Lyft/Uber provide a wonderful service.  As you mentioned, it doesn't matter the distance.  And always tip, either in cash or via the app.  It does matter, at least to them and myself.

Then again, consider myself a decent human being not a crass & clueless DUmmy.

Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 01:49:00 PM »
Cyrano is some old fart primitive in South Florida who either constantly complains or who rambles on about topics it can even begin to understand. IOW, a liberal.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 12:09:12 AM »
Uh, question.

I suspect that this is liberal math.  Most rideshare drivers only drive for a few hours per week.  I have a neighbor who only drives on Friday and Saturday nights, working maybe 6-8 hours per week doing Lyft.  He clears about $150-$200/weekend doing that, enough for a generous grocery bill per week, possibly enough in a month to cover rent.  Then he works his regular 9-to-5 the rest of the week.  But in Liberalville, they go ahead and divide that out into a 40-hour week, and suddenly poor Luke is getting exploited to the tune of $2.50/hour with no benefits.  Teh howwah!

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 12:10:15 PM »
I suspect that this is liberal math.  Most rideshare drivers only drive for a few hours per week.  I have a neighbor who only drives on Friday and Saturday nights, working maybe 6-8 hours per week doing Lyft.  He clears about $150-$200/weekend doing that, enough for a generous grocery bill per week, possibly enough in a month to cover rent.  Then he works his regular 9-to-5 the rest of the week.  But in Liberalville, they go ahead and divide that out into a 40-hour week, and suddenly poor Luke is getting exploited to the tune of $2.50/hour with no benefits.  Teh howwah!

For a liberal math is indeed a challenge.  I suspect they may be trying to figure the cost of the new car  they have to buy into the equation 'cause I think both have age and or condition requirements on the vehicle.  (Bobo's Buick ain't gonna cut it).    Net and is gross usually a mystery to DUmmies so I may be all wet on this. :popcorn:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
My conclusion is that Uber, Lyft, etc. are bots. At the moment, they seem to be working for many. But what if they are Aliens or Republicans who have figured out a new way to screw up humanity, how we get around, and **** up everything we take for granted?

WTH?  "RUSSIAN BOTS!"

I couple months ago I started using twitter, mostly to comment on the dumb crap twitter lefties post there. And quite literally, 9 times out of 10, these hacks will respond accusing me of being a "Russian bot". I kid you not, this is the standard response form these asshats.

But on the subject of uber, this DUmpass has a point. I tried to sign up for an uber account several years ago when I needed a ride home from downtown on night. Much like signing up on this forum, you fill out the form, and you get an email to verify that you have to respond to... then you are done except for setting up your credit card. Well, I didn't get the email, it never came. The email was correctly entered, but every time I tried to get it to re-send, or if I just tried to re-register, it wanted me to sign in first, but I couldn't... I gave up. I tried again about a year ago, same BS. Finally a couple of months ago, I emailed their support people and got it straightened out. the email support process took 3 days to complete because they really don't have a damn tech support phone number. There is NO way to talk to them.
It's a really poor system if something goes wrong... but it is half the price of a cab.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 08:45:42 AM »
Cyrano (10,835 posts)

Actually, that's Governor Moonbeam's legacy in California, stopping the building of highways and freeways, and starving the maintenance of existing highways and freeways. Anyone who has driven I-80 on both sides of the California-Nevada border has felt what I mean.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.