Author Topic: Allegations throw Kavanaugh confirmation into turmoil  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Allegations throw Kavanaugh confirmation into turmoil
« on: September 16, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »
Allegations throw Kavanaugh confirmation into turmoil
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/406938-allegations-throw-kavanaugh-confirmation-into-turmoil

Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination was plunged into chaos after a woman accusing him of sexual assault spoke publicly for the first time about the allegation on Sunday.

The fallout from the decades-old allegation is putting a spotlight on Senate Republicans, who must decide if they want to rush forward with Kavanaugh’s nomination with questions lingering over the Senate’s debate and vote.

Republicans have been confident for months that Kavanaugh would be confirmed by October, when the court starts its next term. But they are under intense pressure to delay a vote after Kavanaugh’s accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, told The Washington Post that in high school in the early 1980s, Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed at a party and forced himself on her.

The accuser is Christine Blasey Ford.

Christine Blasey Ford: Woman Who Accused Kavanaugh in Letter Comes Forward
https://heavy.com/news/2018/09/christine-blasey-ford/

Christine Blasey Ford’s Politics: She’s a Democrat
https://heavy.com/news/2018/09/christine-blasey-ford-politics-democrat/
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Allegations throw Kavanaugh confirmation into turmoil
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:19:33 PM »
Chaos?  Hardly.  Another nothing burger for the media & other insane unhinged libs to obsess over until Kavanaugh is certainly going to be confirmed.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 04:39:54 AM »
Actual adult rape didn't bother them with Clinton, DUI manslaughter didn't bother them with Fat Teddy, and they turn a blind eye to the recent sexual misconduct of their own members (From trips to pedo-paradises using tax money to settle their own sexual harassment cases), so screw those A-holes.

FWIW I think she is probably telling it the way she remembers it and he is too (Or in the case of a drunk-on-his-ass 17-year-old, the way he doesn't remember a damn' thing about it).  I don't think either one of those things is what actually happened.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 06:08:26 AM »
Always prepared for the unanticipated, I'm left wondering about something.

Suppose Ruth Bader Ginsberg springs loose of this mortal coil while the Kavanaugh nomination (for another seat, not hers) is still uncompleted.

Not that I wish her to die, but she is after all 85 years old and infirm, not a promising prospect for life insurance companies.

Remember franksolich's First Rule of Everything: anything can happen, and usually does.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:00:45 AM »
The choreography of this is too obvious. The Ds and their media shills have done this shtick repeatedly:

* Clarence Thomas and the Anita Hill Game

* Getting Herman Cain to drop out with an accuser who suddenly disappeared whgen he did;

* The HilLIARy-paid Steele Dossier's crazy Pee Tape claim;

* And now a Psychology prof at a small private university that operates in the shadow of and works in consortium with Stanford University.

The Rs should ignore the shtick and move ahead with the scheduled votes, plus or minus saying that the Ds and MSM have played this card too often. Not that I think more than a couple of Rs have the courage to say that.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 08:06:47 AM »
The choreography of this is too obvious. The Ds and their media shills have done this shtick repeatedly:

* Clarence Thomas and the Anita Hill Game

* Getting Herman Cain to drop out with an accuser who suddenly disappeared whgen he did;

* The HilLIARy-paid Steele Dossier's crazy Pee Tape claim;

* And now a Psychology prof at a small private university that operates in the shadow of and works in consortium with Stanford University.

The Rs should ignore the shtick and move ahead with the scheduled votes, plus or minus saying that the Ds and MSM have played this card too often. Not that I think more than a couple of Rs have the courage to say that.

Exactly, if this kills his nomination, there will never be another conservative confirmed ever because every one of them will have some "accuser" come forward with an unprovable allegation from 30 years ago.  Why was this not brought up during the hearings?  Because it's meant to be an eleventh hour surprise to delay or destroy the nomination.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 08:16:13 AM »
Actual adult rape didn't bother them with Clinton, DUI manslaughter didn't bother them with Fat Teddy, and they turn a blind eye to the recent sexual misconduct of their own members (From trips to pedo-paradises using tax money to settle their own sexual harassment cases), so screw those A-holes.

FWIW I think she is probably telling it the way she remembers it and he is too (Or in the case of a drunk-on-his-ass 17-year-old, the way he doesn't remember a damn' thing about it).  I don't think either one of those things is what actually happened.

It's kinda frightening to me how far back the Dems are willing to go in order to smear and or derail a Republican nominee.

Pretty soon a nominee will be required to answer under oath for the time in Kindergarten when they pinched little Susie on the arm and made her cry.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 08:24:01 AM »
It's kinda frightening to me how far back the Dems are willing to go in order to smear and or derail a Republican nominee.

Pretty soon a nominee will be required to answer under oath for the time in Kindergarten when they pinched little Susie on the arm and made her cry.

Yeah, dipping little Susie's pigtails in an inkwell won't work anymore.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »
Meanwhile absolute radio silence on the credible claims against Keith Ellison.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 09:12:53 AM »
This should take you to case info about the foreclosure case I posted in the Shoutbox. If clicking the link does not take you directly to the case info, click the button to reply to this post by including a Quote, and copy the url. That full url should take you to the case info.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 09:17:24 AM »
I would give the democrat party a nod for having the higher ground on this matter if the letter was brought out when they first received it.  To wait until days before the confirmation vote and after all of their other childish tactics failed is pure theatrics on their side.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »
Meanwhile absolute radio silence on the credible claims against Keith Ellison.

Except for the right leaning hosts.  Caught a bit of Bill Cunningham's show last night and he mentioned that perv Ellison about six times.  Especially that the incidents happened in the past year with credible evidence.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 10:17:48 AM »
Except for the right leaning hosts.  Caught a bit of Bill Cunningham's show last night and he mentioned that perv Ellison about six times.  Especially that the incidents happened in the past year with credible evidence.

That's a good start...but I'm curious as to why a big news outlet like Fox isn't bringing it up to highlight the hypocrisy of the Dems.

They used to do that.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »
From a WashPost article:

Speaking publicly for the first time, Ford said that one summer in the early 1980s ...

She graduated in 1984, so "early 80s" could mean 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, or 1984. She's not even naming the year, let alone enough details to check whether Kavanaugh was in Maryland (or in the US, or North America!) at the time or knew the person whose party was the supposed location of the alleged incident. Everything about this screams choreography and prevention of fact-checking.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:24:57 PM by SVPete »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 12:50:02 PM »
From a WashPost article:

She graduated in 1984, so "early 80s" could mean 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, or 1984. She's not even naming the year, let alone enough details to check whether Kavanaugh was in Maryland (or in the US, or North America!) at the time or knew the person whose party was the supposed location of the alleged incident. Everything about this screams choreography and prevention of fact-checking.

It's almost hysterically funny that the Dems can't even come up with a different mode d'emploi. They're stuck on the bullshit #MeToo angle.

Has anyone else fallen asleep at this garbage?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 12:52:45 PM »
“These are all the ills that I was trying to avoid,” she said, explaining her decision to come forward. “Now I feel like my civic responsibility is outweighing my anguish and terror about retaliation.”

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

What a complete line of BS......
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
Speaking publicly for the first time, Ford said that one summer in the early 1980s ...

Police lives matter.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
I think they want to give this to a special council to spend the next 2 years investigating. They can hire 100 big donor dem lawyers at $1,000.00 an hour to work on it.  :mental: :thatsright: :loser:

The republicans need to throw out some dirt on a few dirty dems to get some smoke going in their camp as well.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 06:26:20 PM »
The republicans need to throw out some dirt on a few dirty dems to get some smoke going in their camp as well.

I have every reason to suspect that President Trump will do exactly that.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 01:22:02 PM »
"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead.
It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid."

~ Anonymous

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 07:51:08 PM »
So I'm gathering that this whole pile of crap is supposed to be based on a 'Recovered suppressed memory' brought out in her therapy, which is supposed to be why she didn't say squat about it at all for 25 years or so.  And that she passed a contracted polygraph on it is supposed to matter.

First, that 'Recovered memory' stuff is useless garbage unless there is some physical evidence to show it isn't.  The human mind can fill in all the blanks, including the entire plot of the story, when a psych starts dredging for shit, it may be all or partly real, it may be remembered pieces of dream or unrelated assembled to complete the story the therapist is demanding, and if only part of it is fact-based the mind is great at making up or assembling stray bits to tell the tale until the examiner is happy.  Once the whole thing gels in the mind, the mind accepts it as fact, whether it really happened, or really happened 'As recovered' (Or at all) or not.  And this BS is brought to you by the same forensic psychiatric community that will line up to testify that eye-witness identification based on current memory isn't worth squat (For an expert witness fee, of course).

Second, polygraphs:

A.  They're useless for determining objective facts.  Even under the best circumstances, all they do is determine whether the examinee is being intentionally deceptive if the examinee has typical stress reactions.  They don't work at all on people  who just have the facts wrong, are good liars, are crazy, or believe what they're saying.     

B.  The value of a poly is as an interrogation tool.  The exam itself is only about ten or twelve questions, a third are calibration questions about objecive facts like birthdate and name, to get a 'Truth' baseline reading.  A third are unimportant odd crap just to try to break up any attempt to fox the exam by staying tense through the whole thing.  Only a third - three or four questions - are the 'Relevant' questions.  The entire process only works if there are some hours of skeptical interrogation beforehand to wear down any plan of deception and bring the stress to a crescendo.  After that, its real value comes in hours of interrogation afterwards, when the interrogator uses the poly results to work on any chinks in the story.  Even with all those conditions being met, it isn't reliable as evidence, because some people can still fox it, and it still doesn't prove any objective facts, just the examinee's beliefs (At best).  Used that way, it's great for busting a suspect's  BS story and getting them to cough up the real one, but that's about it.

C.  Contracted polys or 'Friendly' ones, aren't adverse and don't involve the hours of prep or follow-up interrogation.  They're usually done by retired poly examiners from law enforcement agencies (ed, State, or local).  They examiners aren't dishonest, but they'll be the first to admit that someone paying for 15 minutes of exam and a written report is not getting anything like the same conditions as a 'Person of interest' in a custodial interrogation, partly because an adverse atmosphere is part of what cranks up the stress in a real police poly exam.  They won't quite admit the friendly exams mean practically nothing, because that wouldn't put any money in the bank, but you can tell they know that full well.

------

I have close to zero faith in contracted polys, people beat them all the time.  I have even less faith in 'Recovered memories,' unless there is some actual physical evidence to back them up, they are more likely to be the brain doing creative storytelling than to be factual.   

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »
Since we're now in the realm of alleged crimes (whether the statute of limitations has run out or not), Grassley should demand a similar standard of evidence. 
Prosecution witness doesn't want to testify when called by the court, even with the court bending over backwards to protect them?  Too bad, and if the case hinges on their testimony it gets dismissed.  The defendant has a right to face their accuser.

Prosecutor suddenly throws in new charges that they knew about all along because they didn't make their case in the first place?  HELL NO, the original charge will get thrown out, the prosecutor will be censured by the court, maybe disbarred, and possibly could be charged with prosecutorial misconduct and go to jail. 

He should say there is nothing new to investigate except DiFi's motivations for sitting on pertinent information, and the victim will either testify or the committee will hold their vote, but one of the two is happening Monday.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »
Maybe someone who knows law better than I do can answer this question...but if this happened in the early 80's wouldn't both parties still have been juveniles? How can this be handled in "adult" court if they were underage at the time?

Also I find it funny that the Libs want the FBI to investigate something they already kicked back to DiFi in July when she tried to get them to investigate the claims originally.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 11:28:41 AM »

Also I find it funny that the Libs want the FBI to investigate something they already kicked back to DiFi in July when she tried to get them to investigate the claims originally.
Just stalling for time....

Police lives matter.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 04:21:10 PM »
Maybe someone who knows law better than I do can answer this question...but if this happened in the early 80's wouldn't both parties still have been juveniles? How can this be handled in "adult" court if they were underage at the time?

That's crossed my mind as well; of course now their fall-back defense of the demand is that "No, we mean the whole thing needs to be investigated just as background to a perjury case against him for denying he did it, 'cause we just know he did since a female Democrat partisan said so."