Author Topic: Shaming teen for wearing ‘racist’ dress to prom is crazy -- Where does nonsense  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Shaming teen for wearing ‘racist’ dress to prom is crazy -- Where does nonsense of cultural appropriation end?
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/05/01/shaming-teen-for-wearing-racist-dress-to-prom-is-crazy-where-does-nonsense-cultural-appropriation-end.html

Keziah Daum, an 18-year-old high school student in Woods Cross, Utah, has found herself on the receiving end of vicious and scathing abuse on social media for shocking act of … daring to wear a traditional Chinese dress to a prom.

Say what?

Keziah is not Asian. So she is guilty, in the minds of those mindless cowards of the keyboard, of a newly developed left-wing cardinal sin called “cultural appropriation.”

The left wants multiculturalism and are against cultural appropriation. Every culture has done cultural appropriation.

Michael Levin nails it right on the head. I like the last part.

I think all those haters out there are just jealous.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Cotton was first used in India and Pakistan. I wonder how many culturally appropriated shirts are in their closets?
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Cotton was first used in India and Pakistan. I wonder how many culturally appropriated shirts are in their closets?

Silk out of China as well. I guess this means that any motorcycle manufacturer that made an opposing twin (like the BMW airheads) after BMW is also guilty.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline dixierose

I agree with the "they are just jealous" statement. That young lady looked gorgeous in that gown (and the gown was beautiful as well).
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline DLR Pyro

I agree with the "they are just jealous" statement. That young lady looked gorgeous in that gown (and the gown was beautiful as well).

good to see she is a fighter and not bowing down to her accusers...

Utah teen who wore Chinese-style prom dress hits back at critics who accused her of racism and cultural appropriation - and says she'd wear it AGAIN

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5682777/Utah-teen-wore-Chinese-style-prom-dress-hits-critics-says-shed-wear-AGAIN.html

The left has constantly been telling us to embrace diversity and multiculturalism, yet when a white person does, they are slammed for it.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline thundley4

All those assholes bitching about this need to stop taking any medications/vaccines/treatments made by anyone other than their own race.

Offline Old n Grumpy

it's all just another bit of left wing loonacy. And they can't understand why they are hated. :thatsright: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DLR Pyro

I'm wondering if eating a peanut butter sammich is cultural appropriation since George Washington Carver helped develop methods for better peanut farming.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
I'm wondering if eating a peanut butter sammich is cultural appropriation since George Washington Carver helped develop methods for better peanut farming.

:bitchslap:
Don't say that!  That will be the next thing they'll bitch about!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline SVPete

Corn (Maize) is native to the Americas, so it should not be used in Chinese cooking.

Potatoes - sweet and regular - are native to the Americas, so potatoes should not be used in African or South Asian cooking.

Etc., etc., etc., etc., ...

Sweeping aside the racist BS, the girl thought it was a beautiful dress, and decided to wear it. If there's any cultural aspect to this, she's showing appreciation for beauty in Chinese culture. And, frankly, she makes the dress look good ( :spork: Better than I would! :spork: ).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

She looked great.  All the SJWs and culture police should just STFU. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
It is cultural appreciation, not appropriation.  Similar to St. Patrick's Day or Cinco de Mayo.  Amongst other events.

It is celebrating, not appropriating you stupid dingbats. :mental:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Chinese dress at US prom wins support in China after internet backlash
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2144207/qipao-us-prom-wins-support-china-after-internet-backlash

Keziah Daum, an 18-year-old from Utah in the United States, who has no Chinese roots, was accused of “cultural appropriation” after posting photographs on Twitter that featured her in a traditional Chinese qipao, or cheongsam.

The dress symbolised a silent protest to promote gender equality after the fall of the dynasties and the beginning of the republican period in the early 1900s, and was worn during the 1919 reformist May Fourth Movement.

Daum has stood by her decision to wear the dress, which was red and embroidered with gold and black, and told the South China Morning Post it projected a “wonderful message”. She has not deleted her original April 22 post.

The qipao or cheongsam symbolizes silent protest to promote gender equality after the fall of the dynasties. All that lost in the left.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
It is cultural appreciation, not appropriation.  Similar to St. Patrick's Day or Cinco de Mayo.  Amongst other events.

It is celebrating, not appropriating you stupid dingbats. :mental:

Agreed. Besides, she liked the dress and chose to wear it.

Perhaps those SJWs and those wailing and gnashing their teeth might prefer that she wear a burlap bag -- or does that reflect cultural appropriation of farmers?

Idiots.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BlueStateSaint

Agreed. Besides, she liked the dress and chose to wear it.

Perhaps those SJWs and those wailing and gnashing their teeth might prefer that she wear a burlap bag -- or does that reflect cultural appropriation of farmers?

Idiots.

Well, a burlap bag would be one of the two acceptable things to see a SJW wearing (the other being a burqa).
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline SVPete

Well, a burlap bag would be one of the two acceptable things to see a SJW wearing (the other being a burqa).

Triple layer burlap burka.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline BlueStateSaint

Triple layer burlap burka.

Nice combination.  H5.

Chase her.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
If she was a he, the hypocritical SJWs would be praising him to the max instead of complaining for an imagined insult to another culture.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe