Author Topic: 2014: the Skippy (NYC_SKP)  (Read 2859 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
2014: the Skippy (NYC_SKP)
« on: December 27, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »
Congratulations! to the winner of this year’s Bartholomew Scott award, nicknamed “the Skippy” or “the Barry,” whichever monicker one chooses to use.

The Skippy is awarded the primitive voted “the most paranoid.”

This is the first year of the Skippy, but it replaces the Robyn McGrath award, “the Rob,” from previous years.

Previous winners of that were:

2012: nadinbzezinski
2013: Lady Freedom Returns

Yeah, that’s right; Atman’s never won the award named for him.

This year’s winner, NYC_SKP, has no such embarrassment.

- - - - - - - - - - -

One’s tempted to write a whole encyclopedia about Skippy and his paranoia, but time’s running out, and there’s still more awards to write before New Year’s Eve.

And besides, franksolich has all of next year to write about Skippy.

postulater (4,182 posts) Mon Sep 8, 2014, 01:59 PM

6. I've been here for ten years and I don't recall ever seeing a listing of 'banned sites".

I don't post or link a lot.

I, too, would like to know what I am not to refer too.

Is there such a list? How was it compiled (so I don't link by accident)?

NYC_SKP (61,000 posts) Mon Sep 8, 2014, 02:40 PM

30. I have that list but it is no longer in use.

It is a lengthy list.

Chief among them, however, is one site that lives to mock us.

I won't name it, but you've probably heard of it.

mylye2222 (1,303 posts) Mon Sep 8, 2014, 02:44 PM

33. Yes. Is tgat the one board

that namecalls us "DUmmies" ??

This the most horrible repug boards i have even crossed. They are to rank along with Third Reich nostalgics.

NYC_SKP (61,000 posts) Mon Sep 8, 2014, 02:47 PM

39. Yup.

They stalk individual DU members and would probably try to do us harm if they could, one way or another.

Pretty sad lives they must lead to do that.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025504725
http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=98066.0

- - - - - - - - - -

marym625 (664 posts) Tue Sep 16, 2014, 08:13 AM

Just curious why so few people use their real names.

I went to respond to a very kind DU email I received and couldn't even use a name to address the person who wrote it. It made me check my own profile. I do have the city I live in and my first name. I didn't have my last name but only because I didn't realize what showed up when I first registered for DU. I have updated it to show my last name too.

I completely understand that there are circumstances that would cause a person to act with caution and use a handle.

If you have a job that you can't give your political opinion, for example, would be at the top of the list. Maybe if you're a hacktavist. But even then, as long as you're not advertising that in posts, what's the point?

Just seems odd to me that the majority of posters not only use a handle but don't put a name, even a first name, in their profile. This seems to be the reality of most social media, at least when political posts are the majority of what is posted.

I have been online since the 80s. Have posted on and off in various social media sites since the early 90s. Though I have, on occasion, used "Marym625," like I do here, or other handles, like I do on twitter, "LiberalHDWoman" I also use my real name in my profile.

Makes me think people are ashamed of their political believe. Sort of like being in the closet for LGBT people.

I would appreciate any responses to this subject.

NYC_SKP (61,434 posts) Tue Sep 16, 2014, 08:23 AM

5. It's the Internet, there are crazy people who would be willing to try to ruin a career.

Many of us might not have a worry, but others might be public figures or otherwise hold jobs that could be jeopardized by the exposure of our political beliefs.

It's not about shame so much as awareness of the evil that others might do.

A certain website/board invests a remarkable amount of effort in identifying DU members.

If a person here was, for example, gay or transsexual and held a job in public education, they might prefer that their identity on this board be kept private.

It's kind of a big deal!

I'm reminded of a phrase that I think relates well to the issue: "If you have nothing to hide then you won't mind being searched..."

We might have nothing to hide, it doesn't matter, our privacy is still invaluable.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025543180
http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=98167.0

- - - - - - - - - -

But Skippy betrays that he “stalks” (quotation marks intentional) too.

Pryderi (6,492 posts)    Tue Oct 14, 2014, 09:49 AM

Obama tombstone Halloween decoration offends neighbor

after which a youtube thing

An Oklahoma woman says she's offended by a tombstone with President Obama's name on it, which is part of her neighbor's Halloween decorations.

NYC_SKP (62,142 posts)   Tue Oct 14, 2014, 10:19 AM

5. OK. Dwayne or Duane Dawkins? I wonder if he's listed or has a facebook or a business or job...

I get the birther "joke" with the question mark under "Obama" instead of a birth year.

But this is well beyond inappropriate.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025663576
http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=98609.msg1242195#msg1242195

- - - - - - - - - -

franksolich
Scourge of the Primitives

Skippy snoops
« on: November 30, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »

Oh my.

The difference between Skippy and franksolich is that Skippy goes out actively "researching" people while franksolich just sits around, mellow and relaxed, waiting for "information" by random chance or accident to fall on his lap.

It's an important distinction that Skippy needs to notice.

NYC_SKP (63,266 posts) Sun Nov 30, 2014, 10:52 AM

Darren Wilson's new Love Shack. What are the Demographics? Diversity much?

I won't post his actual street address, but it's a typical tract house, pretty boring.

after which a chart

Such Diversity!

What a shame that he can't enjoy the place.

pipoman (13,605 posts) Sun Nov 30, 2014, 11:07 AM

2. Considering the state's overall demographics

In 2011, the racial composition of the state was:

84.0% White American (81.0% non-Hispanic white, 3.0% White Hispanic
11.7% Black or African American
0.5% American Indian and Alaska Native
1.7% Asian American
0.1% Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander
1.9% Multiracial American

I suspect it is easier to find city demographics like this than it is do find diverse demographics.

NYC_SKP (63,266 posts) Sun Nov 30, 2014, 11:15 AM

3. 11.3% versus 00.3%? That's a big diff. Look at the demographics of the neighborhood he was serving:

Here:

11.3% versus 00.3% is a big deal, his neighborhood is not close to the state demo at all.

The state has 40 times as many blacks in the mix.

And the neighborhood where he murdered [sic] Brown had 271 times the number of blacks.

Its almost as if he wanted to go "hunting" every day.

after which another chart

phil89 (551 posts) Sun Nov 30, 2014, 11:47 AM

4. You think he should move

into a black neighborhood? What are you thinking? Like that would be a great idea for him?

NYC_SKP (63,266 posts) Sun Nov 30, 2014, 12:06 PM

7. Yes. Police should live where they serve.

Don't you think?

Hmmmm.

Not just cops should live where they serve; perhaps it'd be a good idea if desk-sitting bureaucrats lived among the people they served, too.

In which case Skippy'd have to move away from his California beach-front home.

Wella (855 posts) Sun Nov 30, 2014, 11:59 AM

5. It's a good thing you didn't post the address

The NY Times reporter who did has been harassed at home and at work by bloggers who found out all her personal information. Her shoplifting record was also found and publicized.

You honestly don't want those people after you.

NYC_SKP (63,266 posts) Sun Nov 30, 2014, 12:05 PM

6. I know the address, the parcel number, taxes paid, etc.

It's not hard to find.

But thanks, you are right!

franksolich would have no idea how to find such information, as it seems like a lot of time and trouble; best to just sit around and wait for it to drop out of the air onto one's lap.

So…..who’s snooping here?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025889876
http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=99569.0

- - - - - - - - - -

The primitives’ uninhibited blabbing, and then their dismay when they find they’ve been quoted on an “enemy” message-board, reminds me very much of something similar that happens in real life, at least in this real life.

I’m deaf; that means I can’t hear most sounds, including those coming from the other side of a door.

Most doors have locks, or some sort of impediment to someone trying to get inside, if one wishes privacy.

If I can’t walk in a door, I assume I’m not supposed to go in there, and turn around and go away.

But if a door’s openable, and there’s no clues someone else is inside, I assume it’s okay for me to walk in.

I’ve assumed wrongly too many times to count.

What follows is from the Sandhills forum here (and hence no link; it’s a very old story anyway):

- - - - - - - - -

There happened earlier today one of those instances that makes me seethe and froth, gnashing my teeth.

I had to empty the bladder, and went to the bathroom.

The door was unlocked--yes, it had a lock, and the lock works--and so I made the quite reasonable assumption that the room beyond was unoccupied. I opened the door and walked inside.....only to see a University of Nebraska co-ed sitting on the porcelain throne, shock and dismay frozen on her face.

As on mine, too.

Saying nothing, I beat a hasty red-faced retreat; as did she when she left the apartment a minute or so later.

This drives me nuts.

franksolich is a nice guy, one of the nicest guys one can ever hope to meet, and I have no intention, ever, of finding someone in an embarrassing position. And when I do, I get no joy out of it.

This also happens a great deal more than I'd like to admit--and it's not only with bathrooms that it happens--and it happens because I can't hear someone shouting from the other side of a door. Thus having no clue that someone is in there, since the door is unlocked, one makes the quite reasonable assumption that the room beyond is unoccupied.

Doors usually have locks; why the Hell don't people use them?

Ever since I was a little lad, I've always done two things when going in to use a restroom; I check to be sure there's a lock and that the lock works, and if anticipating sitting-down business, I check to be sure there's paper in the dispenser. If "no" to either one of these observations, I just don't use the restroom, waiting for another time, another place.

I've never in my life been caught with my pants down (in this sense).

I think it's rude--and excessively so--when people doing private business don't lock the door.

All my life, I've walked into situations I'd rather not have.

As already mentioned, such sights have been seen since I was young and tiny, and it's so embarrassing that every time, the scalp turns grey and sweaty in humiliation.

There was only one time I ever managed to get back at such rudeness, and it was a long time ago, when I was a freshman or sophomore at the University of Nebraska (the minimum drinking age at the time was 19 years), and was with some friends at a fraternity bar in Lincoln.

At one point, there was the need to empty the bladder, and so I went to the men's room, which since the bar was a small bar, consisted of simply a commode and a sink, nothing more than that in a few square feet.

The door was unlocked, and so quite reasonably assuming the room beyond was unoccupied I walked in.

And almost collided with a Phi Delta Theta sitting on the porcelain throne.

Shock and dismay froze on his face, as it did on mine.

I made a hand-motion for one of my friends at the table to come over, to tell me if there was actually a lock on the door. Which he did, and while he and I were still there, I summoned yet another friend to come over, to tell me if the lock on the door was operable, usable. Which he did, and while the three of us were standing there, I hailed a third friend to come over, to tell me if there might be something wrong with the door (it being askew or something), which he did, making a careful examination.

All the while, I kept the door wide open with my foot, so that all walking by could see the sight.

The seated Phi Delt was petrified in shame and hysteria, but he dared not get up.

I think people who don't use locks deserve all the misery they get, damn it.

- - - - - - - - - -

And primitives who so uninhibitedly blab have only themselves to blame; if one doesn’t want the whole world to see or know something, lock the damned door.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:02:52 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: 2014: the Skippy
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 06:46:31 PM »
When you have a pizza face that could pass for the dark side of the moon it is easy to see why one would be so paranoid.