Author Topic: Oatmeal Cake  (Read 3965 times)

Offline debk

Oatmeal Cake
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »
Grama....here's the recipe for the oatmeal cake I've made for 30+ years. I don't even remember what magazine I got it from anymore.

Made it tonight....very easy .....

1 1/3 c boiling water
1 stick of butter
1 c uncooked old fashioned oats (don't use the instant or quick cook)
1 c sugar
1 c packed brown sugar (I use light)
2 eggs ( I always use jumbo)
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon (it calls for 1 but I really like cinnamon)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (I double this too)

Coconut topping

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x13" pan.

Combine boiling water, butter and oats in a large bowl, cover and let stand for 20 minutes.

Beat sugars and eggs into oat mixture. Beat in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg. Pour batter into baking pan. Bake about 35 minutes or until a wooden pick, inserted in the center comes out clean. I checked at 30 minutes, and it took about 8 more.

While cake is in oven, make Coconut Topping.

Heat oven to 550 and/or broil. Spread Coconut Topping over hot cake. Broil 4 inches from heat element util topping is golden brown and bubbling.....watch it very carefully so that it doesn't burn ....

Coconut Topping

1 c packed brown sugar
1 c chopped walnuts
1 c sweetened flaked coconut
1 stick of butter
3 tbs milk

Heat all ingredients in saucepan on stove over medium heat, stirring constantly until butter melts.

I doubled the topping....just cause it's pretty thin over the top otherwise. I also forgot the milk tonight  :thatsright: ...it didn't really matter, so I probably wouldn't double the milk if I remember it next time.  :-)
I also cooked it until the sugar was more than half dissolved, so that it doesn't have to stay under the broiler as long. It will burn VERY easily.

Enjoy!!

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Re: Oatmeal Cake
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »
That sounds like a Paula Deen recipe with the two sticks of butter.....but sounds delicous...I am dieting so can't try it  :(

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:20:23 AM »
I wonder if there's a way to replace some of the sugar with something like sweet n low ??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »
Grama....here's the recipe for the oatmeal cake I've made for 30+ years. I don't even remember what magazine I got it from anymore.

Made it tonight....very easy .....

1 1/3 c boiling water
1 stick of butter
1 c uncooked old fashioned oats (don't use the instant or quick cook)
1 c sugar
1 c packed brown sugar (I use light)
2 eggs ( I always use jumbo)
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon (it calls for 1 but I really like cinnamon)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (I double this too)

Coconut topping

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x13" pan.

Combine boiling water, butter and oats in a large bowl, cover and let stand for 20 minutes.

Beat sugars and eggs into oat mixture. Beat in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg. Pour batter into baking pan. Bake about 35 minutes or until a wooden pick, inserted in the center comes out clean. I checked at 30 minutes, and it took about 8 more.

While cake is in oven, make Coconut Topping.

Heat oven to 550 and/or broil. Spread Coconut Topping over hot cake. Broil 4 inches from heat element util topping is golden brown and bubbling.....watch it very carefully so that it doesn't burn ....

Coconut Topping

1 c packed brown sugar
1 c chopped walnuts
1 c sweetened flaked coconut
1 stick of butter
3 tbs milk

Heat all ingredients in saucepan on stove over medium heat, stirring constantly until butter melts.

I doubled the topping....just cause it's pretty thin over the top otherwise. I also forgot the milk tonight  :thatsright: ...it didn't really matter, so I probably wouldn't double the milk if I remember it next time.  :-)
I also cooked it until the sugar was more than half dissolved, so that it doesn't have to stay under the broiler as long. It will burn VERY easily.

Enjoy!!

Deb, the recipe for the coconut topping is very similar to a date cake recipe with broiled icing that my mother used to make, and that I obtained from her before she passed. (I think she got it out of a Betty Furness cookbook.)

The date cake is dense, moist, and keeps for days. Not too sweet. The broiled icing part is prepared just as you have it, plus the added instruction of heating the mixture in a saucepan until the brown sugar completely melts. I've done it only halfway and the result was disappointing because there were still crystals of sugar in the mixture after broiling was complete.

I have to say, this one with oatmeal looks yummy.  :yum:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »
Deb, the recipe for the coconut topping is very similar to a date cake recipe with broiled icing that my mother used to make, and that I obtained from her before she passed. (I think she got it out of a Betty Furness cookbook.)

The date cake is dense, moist, and keeps for days. Not too sweet. The broiled icing part is prepared just as you have it, plus the added instruction of heating the mixture in a saucepan until the brown sugar completely melts. I've done it only halfway and the result was disappointing because there were still crystals of sugar in the mixture after broiling was complete.

I have to say, this one with oatmeal looks yummy.  :yum:

I wondered about the recipe direction of just until the butter melts too....I had it on the stove long enough that the sugar melted, just because I start it when I put the cake in the oven. I probably don't leave it under the broiler as long though, because my family doesn't like stuff too browned. I leave it in just long enough to start to bubble and change color a bit.

I wonder if there's a way to replace some of the sugar with something like sweet n low ??

Thor...I would think you could exchange the white sugar with Splenda and be fine. If you switch out the brown sugar in the cake....you may be able to do it with reducing the brown sugar amount and mixing in molasses. You would need to look at a substitution chart for the exact ratios. I do think if you mess with the brown sugar in the frosting, it may not work. You could, however, do a cream cheese frosting on this cake and it would still be really good.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »

Thor...I would think you could exchange the white sugar with Splenda and be fine. If you switch out the brown sugar in the cake....you may be able to do it with reducing the brown sugar amount and mixing in molasses. You would need to look at a substitution chart for the exact ratios. I do think if you mess with the brown sugar in the frosting, it may not work. You could, however, do a cream cheese frosting on this cake and it would still be really good.

Oh NO, NOT Splenda!!! Splenda is only safe in cooler things. It turns into methanol when it hits temps above 106°F. Methanol does not do a body good.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 11:02:32 AM »
Oh NO, NOT Splenda!!! Splenda is only safe in cooler things. It turns into methanol when it hits temps above 106°F. Methanol does not do a body good.

But ethanol shouldn't be a problem at all, right?.......

:-) just sayin'.....
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 11:09:16 AM »

I did not know that.... :clueless:

I always add a packet or two to red sauce.....and in my hot tea.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 03:08:57 PM »
There's a theory that much of the Desert Storm illnesses (Gulf War Syndrome) were brought about by all of the diet soda sitting around in the 100°+ weather. The diet soda had Splenda in it vs saccharin.

Eupher, yes, Ethanol is quite safe in moderation.......  ;)