Author Topic: Child molester gets life plus 40 years  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Child molester gets life plus 40 years
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »
This is the case I sat on as Jury Foreman.  Damn good day to be an American.

http://www.tiftongazette.com/local/local_story_133211911.html

By Jana Cone/reporter

TIFTON —
Melissa Wood, forensic interviewer with the Patticake House, believes a recent conviction and sentencing of a child molester was a first.

“As far as I know it is the only one where we have gotten a life sentence in the case,” Wood said.

Last Friday, a Turner County jury deliberated less than 25 minutes before returning guilty verdicts on all three counts in the case of the State vs. Dewayne Moate. Moate was charged with two counts of child molestation and one count of rape. He was sentenced to 20 years on each of the child molestation charges and to life in prison without the possibility of parole on the rape charge, with the sentences to run consecutively.

Wood said the Patticake House was contacted by the Ashburn Police Department and she interviewed the 6-year-old victim on March 20, 2007. The incidents had happened approximately one month before Wood’s interview.

The victim was the 6-year-old daughter of Moate’s live-in girlfriend. Moate, originally from Worth County, was left in charge of the victim and her 2-year-old sister while his girlfriend drove her brother to Tifton one evening in February 2007. Moate was 21 at the time.

At the trial last week, testimony from Wood, along with the videotape of her interview with the victim, corroborated the victim’s in-court testimony. Also testifying at trial was the Sex Assault Nurse Examiner, Sheila Luke, from Tift Regional Medical Center. Luke’s medical examination revealed injuries to the child’s genitalia consistent with penetration.

“From the child’s first outcry, her story remained consistent,” Wood said. “She said the same thing in court she said in the interview.”

Before sentencing, Chief Judge Gary McCorvey noted that Moate had declined to accept responsibility for his actions, an act that he felt would have evidenced at least a start at rehabilitation and would have spared the child, now 7 years of age, from having to come to court to testify. McCorvey noted that the child, when testifying, had kept her hand beside her head on the side nearest the defendant, shielding her view of him, and noted that the child had been in therapy since the event.

Brad Pierce, assistant district attorney prosecuted the case. An Ashburn police officer and a detective also testified along with Wood, Luke, the victim and some members of the victim’s family.

Wood said the victim is doing well. “She will adjust,” said Wood, who spent time with the child during the trial.

Wood said her work with the Patticake House covers four counties and she has conducted over 500 interviews.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: Child molester gets life plus 40 years
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:51:13 PM »
H5 for the sentencing too bad he couldn't get the death penalty!

The whole time I read that I kept reading pancake house instead of patticake house.  I couldn't figure out what the pancake house had to do with anything. :thatsright:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »
Damn good sentance for once.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:18:51 PM »
Fine civic duty here Rebel Yell.

That poor baby. I hope the therapy helps. She's got a long, hard road ahead of her.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:29:40 PM »
A life sentence is too good for that   :censored: POS.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 06:38:55 PM »

The whole time I read that I kept reading pancake house instead of patticake house.  I couldn't figure out what the pancake house had to do with anything. :thatsright:

Ditto for the first part there. God, please help the victim.  :(
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 04:42:17 AM »
Finally! I'm tired of reading stories from Lib states where he's fined and let go to hurt more children.

Offline megimoo

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
Finally! I'm tired of reading stories from Lib states where he's fined and let go to hurt more children.

Vermont; 9-year-old girl used as sex slave

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58169&page=2

We all have to remember that this happened in Vermont, which is a haven for pedophiles and child rapists. I wonder how this one will be handled...

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=7592742
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4319605

There is one example.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,244476,00.html

Another.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,263621,00.html

Same judge as the above story.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »

Everything down here starts in the Waffle House.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 05:48:31 PM »
This is the case I sat on as Jury Foreman.  Damn good day to be an American.

http://www.tiftongazette.com/local/local_story_133211911.html

By Jana Cone/reporter

TIFTON —
Melissa Wood, forensic interviewer with the Patticake House, believes a recent conviction and sentencing of a child molester was a first.

“As far as I know it is the only one where we have gotten a life sentence in the case,” Wood said.

Last Friday, a Turner County jury deliberated less than 25 minutes before returning guilty verdicts on all three counts in the case of the State vs. Dewayne Moate. Moate was charged with two counts of child molestation and one count of rape. He was sentenced to 20 years on each of the child molestation charges and to life in prison without the possibility of parole on the rape charge, with the sentences to run consecutively.

Wood said the Patticake House was contacted by the Ashburn Police Department and she interviewed the 6-year-old victim on March 20, 2007. The incidents had happened approximately one month before Wood’s interview.

The victim was the 6-year-old daughter of Moate’s live-in girlfriend. Moate, originally from Worth County, was left in charge of the victim and her 2-year-old sister while his girlfriend drove her brother to Tifton one evening in February 2007. Moate was 21 at the time.

At the trial last week, testimony from Wood, along with the videotape of her interview with the victim, corroborated the victim’s in-court testimony. Also testifying at trial was the Sex Assault Nurse Examiner, Sheila Luke, from Tift Regional Medical Center. Luke’s medical examination revealed injuries to the child’s genitalia consistent with penetration.

“From the child’s first outcry, her story remained consistent,” Wood said. “She said the same thing in court she said in the interview.”

Before sentencing, Chief Judge Gary McCorvey noted that Moate had declined to accept responsibility for his actions, an act that he felt would have evidenced at least a start at rehabilitation and would have spared the child, now 7 years of age, from having to come to court to testify. McCorvey noted that the child, when testifying, had kept her hand beside her head on the side nearest the defendant, shielding her view of him, and noted that the child had been in therapy since the event.

Brad Pierce, assistant district attorney prosecuted the case. An Ashburn police officer and a detective also testified along with Wood, Luke, the victim and some members of the victim’s family.

Wood said the victim is doing well. “She will adjust,” said Wood, who spent time with the child during the trial.

Wood said her work with the Patticake House covers four counties and she has conducted over 500 interviews.

Good work, dude!  Now if only they'll lock him up in solitary and forget where they put him for 70 or 80 years....
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 11:46:06 PM »
Should have gotten life -100 (death)...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.