Author Topic: LA restaurants face a new kind of dine-and-dash - disputed charges/missing item  (Read 331 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215150390

4 hrs ago
Star Member Demovictory9
LA restaurants face a new kind of dine-and-dash - disputed charges/missing item claims on deliveries

Spoon by H, Yoonjin Hwang’s celebrated Korean restaurant in Fairfax, is closing. Business had been slow since the start of the pandemic, but last summer, Hwang said, she started to notice more people disputing charges and claiming missing items through delivery apps. The restaurant was bleeding money and she was spending hours on the phone with the people behind the apps, trying to dispute the chargebacks.

“We lost orders, time, precious ingredients, and the problems accumulated to the point where we just couldn’t stay in business anymore,” she said. “We’re losing money to these issues, despite all the evidence we provide.”

One of the worst incidents for Spoon by H happened on Nov. 10, when a customer placed an online order for four “meat lovers” combo meals. It was one of the largest orders Hwang had ever received. The meals were elaborate and each included a galbijjim and oxtail tray, spicy beef japchae and a beef short rib rice cake soup.

The total was $728.76.

-----------

“I was so grateful for the business,” she said. “I thought it must be because of the holiday season.”

On Nov. 18, at around 4:45 p.m., a man knocked on the door of the restaurant and gave the name on the order. Hwang, who is usually cooking in the kitchen, was waiting to greet the customer. With such a large order, she wanted to thank him personally for his business.

He offered to take the food to his car, but Hwang explained that it was far too much for one person to carry, and she grabbed a few bags herself.

** read at link about how she was cheated out of a $700 plus meal***   

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2021-02-23/restaurant-scam-credit-card-fraud

https://sports.yahoo.com/la-restaurants-struggle-form-dine-130024395.html

Here’s why I brought this over, how many things can we find in one post?

27 min ago
tulipsandroses
13. I hate that she got scammed, I am not going to blame the victim, but I think its imperative
that identification is necessary if anyone is placing such a large order. I know business is slow and people are happy when they get a large order, but scammers are everywhere. I would require ID for any order over a certain amount. Especially if this was a first time customer.

Its really a damn shame that some people take advantage of others. Crooks are everywhere. Years ago, I used to sell on Ebay for extra cash. I learned the hard way to always deliver with signed delivery. People got their items and said it wasn't delivered.

Door Dash has a limit on how many times during a specific period you can get a credit for incorrect orders. I found that can work against us consumers. I've lost money on items not received.

I think restaurant delivery apps are great. That's one area that needs to be worked on so that neither consumer nor businesses gets ripped off.

I mean, WOW!  ID for large orders (but not voting), evidently knowing you can only dispute orders so many times ...

Who knows this stuff??

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

I thought requiring identification is racist.  Asking for identification on large orders is basically an eating tax..  Why doesn't this DUmmy want people of color to order large quantities of food?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020