Author Topic: We're not oddballs or unrealistic nutjobs.  (Read 2056 times)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: We're not oddballs or unrealistic nutjobs.
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 12:54:21 PM »
Quote from:
Sarah Ibarruri

As for your property taxes, I'm all for property taxes being raised on properties beyond a certain value that render these properties of the rich.

I'm not even sure what that means.

My initial question is how can a city and/or county project a budget if property taxes aren't based upon the value of the property rather than who owns it?

So someone who's a billionaire who owns 10 acres of land sells the property to someone in the middle class.  According to what I think this idiot primitive is saying, the billionaire would have been paying a much higher rate on the property than the middle calls person who just purchased it.  Now it changes hands and the city/county receives drastically less income.  Do that enough times and expenses will blow out of control and the city/county would have to raise taxes on everyone to to offset the shortfalls.  Don would really be in a pickel if the Sarah primitive had her way.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »
Here in "red state hell", I pay less than $300 a year for both real estate and personal property taxes.  That includes my house, 4 acres of land, 2 barns, a garage, 3 storage buildings, 5 cars (and trucks), and a 26 foot camper.

Well Hello you sexy dude, do you belong to the Mafia or have a Daddy as State Senator???

May be interesting to find out what you have on the town tax assessor.------are you dating his daughter or his son?

House, do you have running water or use an outhouse.       4 acres of land, are they under water or on protected wet land?              2 barns, are they the size of a dog house.        a garage can mean anything from an unclosed building to a  covered area,        3 storage buildings can be those large Tupperware containers that hold 50 pounds of goods.       On to the trucks and cars, we see them all the time sitting next to a house rotting away, haven't been on the road for 20 years.

Ah a 26 foot camper that has sat there for 10 years full of old tires and what not.

A word of advice, do not get rid of the old trucks and camper, do not mow the lawn or paint the house, do not get inside plumbing that is done by contractors or have Central heating put in by contractors. say a prayer and have it done by professionals looking for under the table extra money.

Do so on the sly, soon as you begin to mow the lawn and show some improvement your taxes will go sky high.

In Maine the French build homes with tarpaper on them, the property looks like hell and their taxes are very low.  
It is a surprise to enter these shacks to find the interior, kitchens and baths are top of the line. Some of these from the outside of the so called shacks put most homes to shame.  High end showers and big power  tubs, hard wood floors.  In Maine a tax assesor cannot enter a home, they have to determin from the outside the worth,  the worse it looks from the outside the less taxes for the homeowner.

No problem every one wants to get an up on the Tax Man,   Remember if you walk to work they will tax your feet.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 04:13:09 PM »
BTW, who the hell wants to retire at 48?  This was not a sustainable plan, Don.  You're going to find an income stream somewhere.  Those Quickiemart places are always hiring.  Get up off the sofa, Don. 

An excellent point, Karin, as always...his lucrative UAW-negotiated pension no doubt looked excellent when he was 48, but time, taxes and prices add up over the years to make reliance on any single income stream a poor long-term strategy. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline cmypay

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 04:17:08 PM »
Here in "red state hell", I pay less than $300 a year for both real estate and personal property taxes.  That includes my house, 4 acres of land, 2 barns, a garage, 3 storage buildings, 5 cars (and trucks), and a 26 foot camper.

And here I thought we were doing so well, with taxes only about $700/year. Just got the property tax bill for our fifth-wheel at a whopping $4.52. I also live in "red state hell"

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »
An excellent point, Karin, as always...his lucrative UAW-negotiated pension no doubt looked excellent when he was 48, but time, taxes and prices add up over the years to make reliance on any single income stream a poor long-term strategy. 

From reading grouchy old Don the past several years, one gets the impression that was his "plan" all along, from when he was young, and first started working in 1971 right out of high school.  He'd keep his nose clean and then retire after 30 years.  

I've never seen, however, grouchy old Don tell us what he was thinking back then, about what he'd like to do in retirement (travel, move to Florida, whatever).  He was just going to work 30 years, and retire.

Grouchy old Don's a product of ethnic blue-collar Chicago, one of the main props of the machine and corruption.

Well, there's nothing wrong with retiring at 48, but one wonders if he anticipated that one reaps what one sows; grouchy old Don had always figured out that if he took care of the machine, the machine'd take care of him.  He probably thought he was sowing wheat, but actually he was sowing parasitical weeds.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »

I am curious if it was set up too that if he stuck it out for another 14 years his pension would have been much higher.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
I am curious if it was set up too that if he stuck it out for another 14 years his pension would have been much higher.

Frank may have his own observations on this, but I infer from some of his off-hand comments about 'saving jobs for younger workers' that he may have taken a buy-out with pension around the time of some plant closures or downsizing, and turned necessity into a virtue in the retelling.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »
Well Hello you sexy dude, do you belong to the Mafia or have a Daddy as State Senator???
My 8th grade drama teacher is a state delegate, the the county board of supervisors determine the tax rates, and 5 of the 9 are farmers.
May be interesting to find out what you have on the town tax assessor.------are you dating his daughter or his son?
It's county here, taxed at $1.46/$100 assessed value.  Tax assessors are independent contractors brought in every 5 years.
House, do you have running water or use an outhouse.  
Running, pumped from my own spring.  Indoor plumbing, too, with 2 bathrooms.
4 acres of land, are they under water or on protected wet land?
Neither
2 barns, are they the size of a dog house.
10X12  and 16X24, both w/loft
a garage can mean anything from an unclosed building to a  covered area

12X20, covered, walled, and with doors
3 storage buildings can be those large Tupperware containers that hold 50 pounds of goods.
8X10, 8X16, and a 10X14

On to the trucks and cars, we see them all the time sitting next to a house rotting away, haven't been on the road for 20 years.
2004 Chevy Avalanche, 1995 Chevy S-10 Blazer, 1993 Buick Century, 1988 Ford F-250 Diesel, and a 1978 Chevy Malibu, all run, all have over 100,000 miles, 4 of them over 200,000 miles.
Ah a 26 foot camper that has sat there for 10 years full of old tires and what not.
2008 Wildwood LE by Forest River, brand new, purchased as a closeout February this year for half off list price.
A word of advice, do not get rid of the old trucks and camper, do not mow the lawn or paint the house, do not get inside plumbing that is done by contractors or have Central heating put in by contractors. say a prayer and have it done by professionals looking for under the table extra money.
No need, I already done those things myself, for I used to be a contractor and held plumbing and HVAC licences.
Do so on the sly, soon as you begin to mow the lawn and show some improvement your taxes will go sky high.
Not here.  Half the county is farm land.  See first reply as to why rates are so low.
In Maine the French build homes with tarpaper on them, the property looks like hell and their taxes are very low.  
It is a surprise to enter these shacks to find the interior, kitchens and baths are top of the line. Some of these from the outside of the so called shacks put most homes to shame.  High end showers and big power  tubs, hard wood floors.  In Maine a tax assesor cannot enter a home, they have to determin from the outside the worth,  the worse it looks from the outside the less taxes for the homeowner.
I live in Virginia.
No problem every one wants to get an up on the Tax Man,   Remember if you walk to work they will tax your feet.

Nice Beetles reference.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »
In this corner of red state hell, we don't pay a personal property tax.

We don't even put a license plate on our boat trailers or utility trailers, just a "W - Still the President" sticker.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 05:55:02 PM »
In this corner of red state hell, we don't pay a personal property tax.

We don't even put a license plate on our boat trailers or utility trailers, just a "W - Still the President" sticker.

We can purchase permanent tags for trailers, but everything over 1,500lbs. has to have brakes, and anything with brakes needs a state inspection sticker.

This state is slowly getting back to normal after 2 back to back Dimrat governors.

Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »
I wonder when Old Don retired.  Was it before Pelosi's Most Ethical Congress took over, because General Motors was making hand over fist money on cheap SUVs during the second half of the Clinton administration up until gas prices skyrocketed under the Democrat leadership in 2007.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 07:56:16 PM »
Ever checked out property taxes for Rockford?

~10%

No.  But I know my in-law's (in western IL) pay around $3,000 a year for their home in the country on three acres.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2011, 07:57:05 PM »

House, do you have running water or use an outhouse.       4 acres of land, are they under water or on protected wet land?              2 barns, are they the size of a dog house.        a garage can mean anything from an unclosed building to a  covered area,        3 storage buildings can be those large Tupperware containers that hold 50 pounds of goods.       On to the trucks and cars, we see them all the time sitting next to a house rotting away, haven't been on the road for 20 years.

:rotf:
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »
I wonder when Old Don retired.  Was it before Pelosi's Most Ethical Congress took over, because General Motors was making hand over fist money on cheap SUVs during the second half of the Clinton administration up until gas prices skyrocketed under the Democrat leadership in 2007.

Sometime when George Bush was still president.

He would've reached 30 years in 2001, but I dunno if the lay-offs under Jimmy Carter were counted as time too, probably they weren't.  And so just "sometime when George Bush was still president."

Grouchy old Don was already retired when I first ran into him, and that was circa 2004 or 2005.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 08:07:45 PM »
He should have kept working.  The UAW was squeezing the Big Tree dry until they implemented a tier wage and benefit system the other year.  But he would have been grandfathered in anyway and still making more money than most people.

Lazy.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »
Lazy.

Grouchy old Don was in kind of the same environment as the generalissimo dude was, when growing up, according to his anecdotes of his youth.

The difference being that the generalissimo dude, who's seven years older than grouchy old Don, grew up influenced by organized crime in Bridgeport, Connecticut, while grouchy old Don grew up influenced by the machine in Chicago, Illinois. 

Such environments don't exactly inspire the work ethic, and do inspire the quest for the quick and easy buck.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2011, 08:16:46 PM »
Hm.  I assumed they would be the same age.

Don better calm down or he'll be dead of a heart attack in another ten years.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 08:35:38 PM »
Like many DUmp democrats, he retired around the time they started random drug testing.

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2011, 09:38:33 PM »
Our property taxes are about $5000.00 per year but we don't pay a state income tax.  However, we so love having to pay those property taxes to educate and feed all of those illegal alien children who somehow end up here in our school district. 

:hammer:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2011, 04:24:36 AM »
Don better calm down or he'll be dead of a heart attack in another ten years.

And the downside of this is . . . ? :???: :???: :???:

:tongue: :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2011, 05:37:14 AM »
And the downside of this is . . . ? :???: :???: :???:

:tongue: :fuelfire:

8 fewer votes for Obama....oh wait....that's a plus....carry on.
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 08:43:28 AM »
We're not oddballs or unrealistic nutjobs.

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus