Author Topic: 6 X convicted drug using felon convicted of fraud- Are_grits makes her a victim  (Read 828 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2319827

Are_grits_groceries Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Donate to DU!    Wed Nov-16-11 06:07 AM
Original message
Mississippi Woman Receives Three Year Prison Sentence For Feeding Her Family

Edited on Wed Nov-16-11 06:16 AM by Are_grits_groceries
Last week, a federal court in Mississippi sentenced a key figure in a $3 million mortgage fraud scheme to two and a half years in federal prison. Just a few days earlier, however, a Mississippi federal judge imposed a significantly harsher sentence on a woman who lied on her benefits applications in order to receive just $4,367 in food stamps to help feed her family:

n moments of desperation, a lie can seem like the only option. Anita McLemore, a Mississippi mother of two, faced one of those unfortunate moments when filling out her application for food stamps — and now she’ll pay the price, by spending three years of her life behind bars in federal prison.

Thanks to a federal ban on food stamps for people with felony drug convictions, people like McLemore are out of luck when it comes to getting assistance with putting food on their tables. Though states can opt out of the ban, those that don’t (like Mississippi) deny food stamps even to individuals who have already served their sentences or overcome previous addictions.

It’s true that McLemore’s past isn’t perfect — she has four felony drug convictions and one misdemeanor, which place her firmly in the category of people the federal government has declared unfit to receive public benefits. Hence, faced with the prospect of being unable to feed her family, McLemore lied on her application.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/11/15/369180/miss... /

You know something is very screwed up when she has to serve 3 years but WS shites aren't even inconvenienced by arrests.

If anybody had the guts and right priorities, they would have clapped those mooks in handcuffs a loooooong time go. I won't even get started on war crimes...

No gruel for you!

And you fell for the "It was for my kids" bullshit.

The only thing that lies more than a DUmmy is a drug addicted DUmmy.

Ilsa Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Wed Nov-16-11 07:13 AM
Response to Original message
2. How was she supposed to get them food assistance, then?

The rule is to let kids go hungry because a parent has a felony conviction? Is that part of the definition of us being a "Christian nation?"

It's funny how all Y'all use  "Christian nation" when it fits your agenda.

BlueJazz Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Wed Nov-16-11 07:34 AM
Response to Reply #2
5. Yep...and there are Felonies like robbing a bank, attempted murder, fraud..

...and many others that truly maim and hurt other people.....But refuse food for drug convictions??...Cruel, unfair and insane.

Just where do you think that drug addicts get their money for drugs? They truly maim and hurt other people either physically or by theft.

msanthrope Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Donate to DU!    Wed Nov-16-11 09:27 AM
Response to Reply #2
9. What makes you think she was trying to help her kids?

She was testing positive for drugs while on release. What makes you think that her food stamp money was going to her kids?

I hope no kid starves because their parents are felons, but I suggest to you that not all parents who get food stamps make sure their kids are fed.

This was her 6th conviction. Prior to this, she's gotten 10 days in jail. I'm not surprised the judge went hard on her. She may reduce by appeal.

Dirty freeper troll. I'd bet you were a commodities broker in another life.

pipi_k Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Donate to DU!    Wed Nov-16-11 10:07 AM
Response to Original message
12. Misleading title

She did NOT get three years for "feeding her family".

She got three years for lying on an application.

And it's a bit naive to automatically assume that she...a convicted drug addict who couldn't even stay straight while on probation...was going to use those food stamps to feed her kids.

The trolls are out in force.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Airwolf

She got off light. If I was the judge she would have gotten alot more for being involved in the 3 Million dollar fraud scheme.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
msanthrope & pipi_k  <---- can afford $42/yr annual fee to Skin's island

Are_grits_groceries, Ilsa & BlueJazz  <---- can not afford $42/yr fee to Skin's island

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
BlueJazz Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Wed Nov-16-11 07:34 AM
Response to Reply #2
5. Yep...and there are Felonies like robbing a bank, attempted murder, fraud..

...and many others that truly maim and hurt other people.....But refuse food for drug convictions??...Cruel, unfair and insane.

Newsflash, DUmmies--virtually every armed robbery we've had in this area over the past two years, be it gas station, bank, or pharmacy, has been by someone either getting drugs or getting money for drugs.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
And while their mom is in jail, the children will either go live with relatives, who likely have the means to feed them or the state will help provide the means, or they will go into foster care where the state will help to provide for their support.  Either way, the children will be fed.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
And while their mom is in jail, the children will either go live with relatives, who likely have the means to feed them or the state will help provide the means, or they will go into foster care where the state will help to provide for their support.  Either way, the children will be fed.

The kids eating was never the issue. Are_grits_groceries only used the drug addict and her kids as a vehicle to slam the **Cough-cough 1%er's. She doesn't give a shit about anything or anyone but the enragement flavor of the day.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
just $4,367 in food stamps to help feed her family:

Just?    :thatsright:

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline thundley4

You could eat pretty darn good on $80/week.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!

Jesus! How many kids did she have? that's like $360 a month for a year!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Karin

I know, that "just."   ::)  but that's ThinkProgress for you.  It never fails to amaze me the utter naivete of liberals, when it comes to such people.  They must picture this drug addict all of a sudden turning into June Cleaver, donning a lovely apron and preparing wholesome and nutritious meals for her children, served at a happy family table. 

Give me a friggin break.  The food stamps will be traded for drugs.  An addict cares only about one thing.  And it's not her kids.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
You could eat pretty darn good on $80/week.
For the last couple months, I've had to make do with as little as $25.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Jason

If you read that whole paragraph I think what they are trying to say is that in comparison to the 3 million dollars that another woman in the same state got a less harsh sentence for, just $4,367 got her a more harsh sentence.

Offline Chris_

Was the other woman a convicted felon?

Does UnthinkProgress mention what she was convicted of?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Wingate said records show McLemore has at least four felony drug convictions and one misdemeanor conviction dating to 1996.

She made false statements in 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2010, according to an indictment.

In one of McLemore's last state sentencings in 2006 in Rankin County, she received a 20-year suspended sentence for conspiracy to sell a controlled substance.
Clarion Ledger

20 years.  Must have been some good shit.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Why is this woman a custodial parent in the first place?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

Why is this woman a custodial parent in the first place?

Three possibilities come to mind.  She never had a husband, or the ex-husband would be worse, or the fact that most family courts always award custody to the mother no matter how bad she is.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Three possibilities come to mind.  She never had a husband, or the ex-husband would be worse, or the fact that most family courts always award custody to the mother no matter how bad she is.

With this woman's rap sheet I can think of no greater case, other than actual abuse, for removing children from the home and making them wards of the state.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."