Author Topic: I got canned today- Can I sue?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
I got canned today- Can I sue?
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »
vanbean Donating Member (949 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Oct-25-11 01:01 PM
Original message
Well, today I joined the ranks of the unemployed.

I went in to work and was told my position had been eliminated.
Shit.

They have to phrase it that way so you have no grounds for a lawsuit. The truth of the matter is they got rid of your DUmbass.

CoffeeCat Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Oct-25-11 02:07 PM
Response to Reply #8
30. My husband is in the IT field...

...and he was laid off recently.

I know how how you feel. We went through it and are still going through it. I know
you're probably in shock a bit and adjusting to this new reality. I can tell you, that
it GETS BETTER. Seriously. You won't always feel as gobsmacked as you do right now.

I wanted to let you know about a couple of things that we've learned as we go through
this situation.

1.) Apply for unemployment IMMEDIATELY--if you haven't all ready. There is some lag
time and you want to get that money coming in ASAP.

2.) You're in IT--and the good news is that contract jobs for IT are plentiful. My
husband got contracting jobs right away. Contact recruiters or companies for which
you would like to work--and see if they are contracting. You might be surprised.
We were. Also, check with your state and local government and their hiring situations.
Our state has cut EVERYTHING and the budget is a big concern--so there is a hiring freeze.
Because they're not hiring full time employees, they're hiring contractors. Check out
the State or local government employment pages.

3.) Did you know that you can collect unemployment while you are contracting? YES, it's true!
When you contact, you are considered working for yourself--and technically unemployed. If you
get some contract work and unemployment--you can find yourself getting close to your previous
salary--depending on what you do and previous pay. Most of the IT contract jobs I've
seen, pay $40-$60 per hour. Double check with your state unemployment laws.

4.) Health insurance. This is a pain in the butt isn't it? And if you're contracting, you
won't get benefits. Does your company offer COBRA? I know it's expensive, but hear me
out. Look over your COBRA information. In most cases, companies give you 60 days to
enroll in COBRA. Here's what some people do. Go without insurance for those 60 days.
However, if something does happen to you--notify your HR dept and let them know that you
want to enroll. Then, you're covered. It's a gamble, because technically you are uncovered.
However, you save the money and take the risk--knowing that you can enroll if something
unfortunate does happen. With that said, PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK this with your HR department
as you exit--to ensure that there is no hidden fine print. Ask them about doing this
and the upsides/downsides.

Best of luck to you. I know how hard this is. Again, it does get better--as you go
from shock to action. Just allow yourself some time to get used to this new reality.

If you want to let us know where you are or what type of IT you do--please add more info.
Others may be able to help.

Take care!! :)

You do that in MI and you're going to jail.

KansDem Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Oct-25-11 01:05 PM
Response to Original message
6. Damn!!!

No warning? You arrived at work and the boss just said "adios?"

vanbean Donating Member (949 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Oct-25-11 01:07 PM
Response to Reply #6
10. Yes. They were shocked and blind-sided too. It was the corporate

people who let me go, not the local folks. Bastards.

Corporate may have instructed the local folks to eliminate a position, but the person chosen was made at the local level. As I mentioned earlier, they wanted to get rid of your DUmbass. You specifically.

MADem Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Oct-25-11 01:10 PM
14. Are you at "retirement eligible" (aka Social Security) age?

You might have an argument for age discrimination.

Be careful what you sign.

Be interesting to see if someone younger than you with less experience was kept on, while you were shown the door against your will.

She sounds like she was an "At will" employee. No reason needed.

vanbean Donating Member (949 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Oct-25-11 01:18 PM
Response to Reply #14
18. I just turned 59. I have always had very good performance reviews.

I have been told they will fill the position, so I have a case for age discrimination, but it is a huge corporation with lots and lots of lawyers, so I am screwed there, I think.

Get you story straight. Your OP stated that they eliminated the position.

vanbean Donating Member (949 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Oct-25-11 01:23 PM
20. Thanks to the kind soul who made a donation for me. That choked me up.

Everyone read this campfire. Now this is how you get a star.

And to ensure that they are not robbed of the spotlight, I bring you:

CaliforniaPeggy Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Oct-25-11 01:26 PM
Response to Reply #20
23. I wanted to do something nice for you...

So you would feel a little better, a little less isolated...

Odin2005 Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Oct-25-11 01:51 PM
29. No warning, even? Jesus!

There's more to this than is being told. Always is.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: I got canned today- Can I sue?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »

Probably a hot piss test for the cocaine he was selling to his co-workers.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
CalPig ensures that everyone knows she made the donation.  Whadda true philanthropist!!! 

Offline Erasmus

• Holla ifju thank im seeeeexy!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »
CalPig ensures that everyone knows she made the donation.  Whadda true philanthropist!!! 

That's not a donation.  I'm sure she wants sexual favors in return.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »
That's not a donation.  I'm sure she wants sexual favors in return.

That ain't no woman.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
23. I wanted to do something nice for you...

How does handing money over to $kimmer do anything for this unemployed soul?  I can't believe she announced it.  Tres gauche. 

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:13:52 PM »

canned
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »
How does handing money over to $kimmer do anything for this unemployed soul?

You got me; I was wondering that too.

Better had the CalPig primitive simply mailed the now-unemployed primitive a $5 bill.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »
She is such an attention whore - I don't see how that makes the OP "less isolated" in any event. From the OP:

3.) Did you know that you can collect unemployment while you are contracting? YES, it's true!
When you contact, you are considered working for yourself--and technically unemployed. If you
get some contract work and unemployment--you can find yourself getting close to your previous
salary--depending on what you do and previous pay. Most of the IT contract jobs I've
seen, pay $40-$60 per hour. Double check with your state unemployment laws

::) Like tucker said, doing this is illegal in every state. I would know, I've done both, but not at the same time. Low rates cited there, btw.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »
They have to phrase it that way so you have no grounds for a lawsuit. The truth of the matter is they got rid of your DUmbass.

You do that in MI and you're going to jail.

Corporate may have instructed the local folks to eliminate a position, but the person chosen was made at the local level. As I mentioned earlier, they wanted to get rid of your DUmbass. You specifically.
She sounds like she was an "At will" employee. No reason needed.

Get you story straight. Your OP stated that they eliminated the position.

Everyone read this campfire. Now this is how you get a star.

And to ensure that they are not robbed of the spotlight, I bring you:

This is not necessarily true. In 2009 there was a layoff where I worked and the names came down from the corporate level. By the time the local supervisors got the list the paperwork was already in progress. Some valuable people were let go. This was not the choice of the 'local folk'. I was one of those laid off and the SR. VP of my division brought me back 3 months later as a consultant. He explained what happened. Usually they say cut 10 percent of your staff and the SV. VPs do the cutting. This time, however, the names came down and there was no dicussion. Let them go.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline jukin

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 03:55:39 PM »
Yeah riiiiiiight, corporate had a hard on for this low level guy in IT. Corporate did intervene once when I had just brought in a project a year plus overdue. I replaced a guy that had bumbled it for almost two years and I replaced him. I earned about 60% of what he did. I did it in about ten weeks and got NO bonus and NO raise. I asked the local management for , you know a little something for the effort, and got nothing but an atta-boy. I was young and cocksure so they got my resignation. The Western VP came into see what he could  do to keep me. I told him I would love to stay but would not unless I got more money. Evidently that was the one thing he could not do. He could give me more responsibility and work but no more money.

I left and had a very successful career as a consultant (even did some work for that company at 5X what i would have earned) and then as a business owner. Best thing that ever happened to me was not getting a 10-15% raise back then.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:59:59 PM by jukin »
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Karin

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »
Then that was a very poorly run business.

No. 3 will get a DUmmie in a heap of trouble.  We may see a pathetic, crying post in the future.  In NY, you have to pay it back as well as face jail time. 

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
You'd thing Peg would write him? a poem:

Fired!
Unemployed
Greedy corporations but
there is hope
hope, hope, hope

Obama can help
Unemployment funds
And
refinance your home
But if
you rent you're screwed
screwed, screwed, screwed

Obama has a stash
you
might
starve & be homeless
but I
bought you a star
twinkle, twinkle, twinkle

We lust for change
we were
promised
Now you can
join
the noble souls
protesting!
Slogans!
Hey hey, ho ho, banks on Wall Street have to go
hey hey, ho ho, hey hey ho ho, hey hey ho, ho

(Sorry, I simply don't have her talent)

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Tucker

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 04:51:59 PM »
This is not necessarily true. In 2009 there was a layoff where I worked and the names came down from the corporate level. By the time the local supervisors got the list the paperwork was already in progress. Some valuable people were let go. This was not the choice of the 'local folk'. I was one of those laid off and the SR. VP of my division brought me back 3 months later as a consultant. He explained what happened. Usually they say cut 10 percent of your staff and the SV. VPs do the cutting. This time, however, the names came down and there was no dicussion. Let them go.

It happens but it's not usually handled that way.

The higher the level in an organization, the less detailed the reports are.

At the lower level, reports may include personnel by name, individual salary, budget and expenditures by department. At the corporate level, reports might just include total manpower, total salary by division and so on. Only bottom line figures are needed.

At least that was what I was taught when I took my system design classes. But then that was 30 some odd years ago.

I still think that this DUmmy was singled out and targeted as expendable.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »
You'd thing Peg would write him? a poem:

Fired!
Unemployed
Greedy corporations but
there is hope
hope, hope, hope

Obama can help
Unemployment funds
And
refinance your home
But if
you rent you're screwed
screwed, screwed, screwed

Obama has a stash
you
might
starve & be homeless
but I
bought you a star
twinkle, twinkle, twinkle

We lust for change
we were
promised
Now you can
join
the noble souls
protesting!
Slogans!
Hey hey, ho ho, banks on Wall Street have to go
hey hey, ho ho, hey hey ho ho, hey hey ho, ho

(Sorry, I simply don't have her talent)

Cindie

You did better than Calpig.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 04:59:44 PM »

She made a donation in that person's name to DU?  I don't know about you, but if I were in the OP's position, I would be rendered speechless by her generosity. :whatever:
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 05:00:42 PM »
You did better than Calpig.
I have to agrree on that one.
Calpig would have inserted some sexual in-u-endo. :-)
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
The same thing happened to my oldest brother when he worked for Qwest
 After many years of working and being an engineer for them working all of western Iowa, he goes to work one day in the driving snow only to be called into hos bosses office to be retired with benefits and one years pay.

After a few weeks the guy that replaced him goes on vacation and dies of a heart attack.  The company is left with no one with my brothers level of experiance. After a year of trying to get someone to replace the replacement they begged my brother to come back to work.  It took them another couple of months but he finally said yes and is working for them again. LoL.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline seahorse513

• I don't take shit from anyone!!
  • British by birth, American thru naturalization
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
I think that is why you don't burn your bridges with your employer!!

If the company laid you off, and you left with on a positive note, you are more likely to be asked back...
The sea is treacherous, but an even hand on the keel brings it safely to port.

Nothing is sexier than a man and his gun!!!

A man should prefer his own company to that of others, because no matter where he goes,he'll find himself there..

"The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money".  Lady Maggie Thatcher

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 03:46:21 AM »
Probably a hot piss test for the cocaine he was selling to his co-workers.

I figured he was at one of the OWS rallies and finally came back to work after being gone for 3 weeks.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 03:57:09 AM »
Yes you can sue.

You won't win.  :rofl:

Maybe Obama will give you 99 weeks to sit on your ass?