Author Topic: The absolute lamest grocrery store bouncy ever concocted  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
The absolute lamest grocrery store bouncy ever concocted
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:11:27 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2121038

Firebrand Gary Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Oct-15-11 02:07 AM
Original message
I just Occupied. **Sacramento Grocery Store**   Updated at 2:07 AM

Edited on Sat Oct-15-11 02:13 AM by Firebrand Gary
I walked in to my local grocery store (very, very large US chain) grabbed 6 items and headed for the check out counter. I did not have to walk far as there were AT LEAST 30 people in line that stretched half way through the store into the bakery section. I was immediately outraged having just left my house from watching Michael Moore's interview on Lawrence O'Donnell's show.

People were clearly unhappy and halfway up to the front I realized there was one person checking out. So I whipped out my phone and decided to look up the 2010 revenue from the company in addition to the CEO's salary.

You can guess what I found. The company made over 35 Billion last year and the CEO's total salary including benefits, stock options, etc was 24 MILLION Dollars.

So I announced in my loud speaker voice to the 30 People waiting in line, Hey guess how much this company made last year? Guess how much the CEO made? Telling the string of people the jaw dropping amount of profits made by this organization.

I asked finally "How many people here think this company can afford to help this nice lady out up at the register by hiring another person to check out?"

The line drew big time applause. I encouraged everyone to attend Occupy Sacramento TOMORROW. As I was leaving someone in the line yelled back at me as I was walking out "We are the 99%"

I could have cried hearing that, I never said anything about the 99%.

Occupy.

Edited:Typo

Not even a single bounce. Sheeesh!!!

Firebrand Gary Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Oct-15-11 04:45 AM
Response to Reply #1
15. We are the 99%.   Updated at 2:07 AM

I wanted to make sure that what I said would give appreciation to the clerk, being the poor gal was the only one. But it signified something else for me. Here was 1 representative for 30 people.

In these terms I really understood the ratio of power. We, the 99% should find comfort in the fact that we hold the power.

It's all an illusion. My avatar is the power.

chollybocker Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Oct-15-11 02:32 AM
Response to Original message
5. Well played.

Recently, I took an old box of bandaids from my medicine cabinet and wrote "This machine kills jobs" on each one, and stuck them in my pocket. Everytime I go to the grocery store, I surreptitiously stick one of them on the self-checkout machine, then go to the checkout with a human clerk. They haven't caught me yet!

LOL So petty.

Bunch of gullible back slappers.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline FlippyDoo

• Oh NO!!!!! It's a rebel windmill!!!!
Re: The absolute lamest grocrery store bouncy ever concocted
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:20:27 AM »
chollybocker Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Oct-15-11 02:32 AM
5. Well played.

Recently, I took an old box of bandaids from my medicine cabinet and wrote "This machine kills jobs" on each one, and stuck them in my pocket. Everytime I go to the grocery store, I surreptitiously stick one of them on the self-checkout machine, then go to the checkout with a human clerk. They haven't caught me yet!

I mentioned this to another fictional spirit-guide. He laughed. He said that he's been following chollybocker on the bandaid trail. Every time chollybocker sticks a bandaid on a machine the fictional spirit-guide sticks a sign on chollybocker's back that reads "if you can read this you can smell that I'm a DUer." Chollybocker hasn't caught him yet!
Fictional spirit-guiding by appointment.
conservativecave.com & conservativeunderground.com

For new members and lurkers: I am a fictional spirit-guide with no smell whatsoever. I am part irish setter and part pigeon. If you don't smell any strange smells it means I'm probably standing next to you. As I am a fictional character anything I post should possibly be considered fictional.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:28:52 AM »
That bouncy is so lame, it needs two crutches.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:42:21 AM »

Hi5  :p

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 11:37:32 AM »
Weird because even out here in the sticks there is never only one checkout line open.  ::)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
You can guess what I found. The company made over 35 Billion last year and the CEO's total salary including benefits, stock options, etc was 24 MILLION Dollars.

For a grocery store to turn a profit of "over 35 Billion", they would have to be 4 times the size of Wal-Mart, you stupid primitive. 

Grocery store margins are very thin to begin with, much less the fact that you treat he terms "making" and "profit" as one in the same.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »
Weird because even out here in the sticks there is never only one checkout line open.  ::)

Yeah, sounds a lot like somebody ditched work or took a long smoke break, I'm sure it's unionized though so no chance of adverse consequences.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline CC27

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 12:22:38 PM »
I've had it with the DUmmies thinking it's their business to know how much money people make.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
I've had it with the DUmmies thinking it's their business to know how much money people make.

Well, in a way it is a good thing, but not the way the primitives do it.

The public deserves to know what governmental employees make, and shareholders in a company deserve to know what those employees make.

But the primitives are rather, uh, selective in which income they "expose."

For example, I'm still waiting to hear a primitive tell us how much money Bags Streisand or Michael Moore or Nancy Pelosi's husband or Rosa DeLauro's husband make.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CC27

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
Well, in a way it is a good thing, but not the way the primitives do it.

The public deserves to know what governmental employees make, and shareholders in a company deserve to know what those employees make.

But the primitives are rather, uh, selective in which income they "expose."

For example, I'm still waiting to hear a primitive tell us how much money Bags Streisand or Michael Moore or Nancy Pelosi's husband or Rosa DeLauro's husband make.

The only income the DUmmies expose is when they hand over cash for drugs.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
It would have been great if this really happened, and everyone in lined turned around and told him to STFU.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 02:28:35 PM »
They're so gullible!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 03:37:02 PM »
You can guess what I found. The company made over 35 Billion last year

What the DUmbass was likely looking at was total sales, not profit.

For example, Publix Super Markets, Inc. had sales of $24.3 billion in 2009, but the profits were around $1.2 billion, which is what, around 5%?

Doesn't sound like too much "greed" to me.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Tucker

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »

For example, Publix Super Markets, Inc. had sales of $24.3 billion in 2009, but the profits were around $1.2 billion, which is what, around 5%?

The city dwellers can't see the forest for the trees.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 04:01:02 PM »
:lmao:

Offline Tucker

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 04:05:46 PM »
greytdemocrat Donating Member (523 posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Oct-15-11 09:04 AM
20. Excellent!

Cool Bouncy.

Not long for this world.

hfojvt Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Oct-15-11 03:06 PM
35. I am having some doubts

Trying to find the name of the grocer, I find this "In 2000, H. Lee Scott became President and CEO, and Walmart's sales increased to $165 billion.<17> In 2002, it was listed for the first time as America's largest corporation on the Fortune 500 list, with revenues of $219.8 billion and profits of $6.7 billion. It has remained there every year, except for 2006." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walmart#Incorporation_and_...

"In 2005, Walmart had $312.4 billion in sales, more than 6,200 facilities around the world—including 3,800 stores in the United States and"

So, taking an 8% growth rate, I estimate that wal-mart had $468 billion in sales in 2010. They made about 3% profit in 2000. If they made 6% profit last year, their profit would only be $14 billion.

If the largest retailer made less than $10 billion in profits, then your statement that this grocery chain made $35 billion cannot be true. Either you are talking about total revenues, or you meant million or something.

Thou shalt not doubt the DUmmy.

Lucky Luciano Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Oct-15-11 03:19 PM
40. No supermarket made $35B last year, but I suspect this is Safeway based on revenues and not profits.

Edited on Sat Oct-15-11 03:20 PM by Lucky Luciano
Apple made $24B or so.
Walmart made $15B or so.
Exxon-Mobil made about $37B.

Kroger made about $1.16B.
Safeway made about $0.679B.
SuperValue made about $0.212B.
Whole Foods made about $0.333B.

Maybe you meant revenues because revenues were:
Kroger $87B.
Safeway $42.8B.
SuperValue $40B.
Whole Foods $9.85B.

I checked the trailing 12 months of revenues and earnings on Bloomberg rather than fiscal years.
Safeway and Supervalue come closest to your profit number, but in the revenue category.

Safeway Chairman/CEO Steven Burd earned $11MM in 2010 and holds $21MM worth of SWY stock.
SuperValue CEO Craig Herkerty earned $10.8MM in 2010, but only holds $2.5MM worth of SVU stock. SVU has had some hard times.

I see three safeways in Sacramento. I think this is a Safeway. Do note that revenues do not equal profits! Supermarkets do have razor thin margins as you can see, so maybe they were being cheap for that reason. That said, they should have had at least one other person working the registers. Pissed off customers will just go to 7-11s or other convenience stores and pay a little bit more to avoid such shitty lines.

Semantics.

Profit or sales. Who cares? DUmmies don't know the difference. They don't understand expenses. That's why their car is always getting repo'd or evicted from their living quarters.

LeftyMom (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Oct-15-11 03:32 PM
42. 30 people in line?

The only line I've ever seen near that long at a grocery store around here was on Thanksgiving. I mean geez, even the pre-2 am Saturday night booze run line at the midtown Safeway isn't that long.

I'm not sure what store's got a bakery department next to the registers, either. Wanna drop a hint?

Oh ye of little faith.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 04:11:21 PM »
It would have been great if this really happened, and everyone in lined turned around and told him to STFU.
And greater still if they'd given him down twinkles.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »
LeftyMom  (1000+ posts) Sat Oct-15-11 03:32 PM
42. 30 people in line?

The only line I've ever seen near that long at a grocery store around here was on Thanksgiving. I mean geez, even the pre-2 am Saturday night booze run line at the midtown Safeway isn't that long.

I'm not sure what store's got a bakery department next to the registers, either. Wanna drop a hint?

demmiblue  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sat Oct-15-11 05:02 PM
54. Nice story.

Seriously... 30 people!? That is totally believable.

Lol!

ITA! when more than 5 people get on line the A&P calls for a Cashier or Manager, no way would only 1 lane be opened at a well known grocery store.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 04:44:41 PM »
I walked in to my local grocery store (very, very large US chain) grabbed 6 items and headed for the check out counter.
Munchie run.
I was immediately outraged having just left my house mom's basement from watching Michael Moore's interview on Lawrence O'Donnell's show.
Gee, how interesting, NOT!! Oh, and I fixed it.

Offline Doubleplusungood

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
The crap Vince McMahon writes for his wrestling shows is far more believable than the crap that DUmmies come up with.

Offline Karin

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »
That Gary, he's a real firebrand, isn't he?  I especially liked the applauding crowd at the end, and the 99 reference.  Then came the tears.  

BTW, all the posts that cast doubt on the numbers?  Everybody simply ignores them. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:14:18 PM by Karin »

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »
Firebrand Gary Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Oct-15-11 02:07 AM
Original message
I just Occupied. **Sacramento Grocery Store**   Updated at 2:07 AM

Edited on Sat Oct-15-11 02:13 AM by Firebrand Gary
I walked in to my local grocery store (very, very large US chain) grabbed 6 items and headed for the check out counter. I did not have to walk far as there were AT LEAST 30 people in line that stretched half way through the store into the bakery section.
30 people in line at around 2 AM buying groceries? 
I was immediately outraged having just left my house from watching Michael Moore's interview on Lawrence O'Donnell's show.
Having to watch either Moore or O'Donnell pisses me off too so that I can believe.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 12:52:16 PM »
It's really disappointing they don't even try anymore.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 01:11:41 PM »

revenue, profit, profit margin's, etc: primitives were never taught the difference

Offline Tucker

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »
revenue, profit, profit margin's, etc: primitives were never taught the difference

Nor expenses. DUmmies don't know about paying for stuff.