Author Topic: Come one come all to the OWS DUmmyfest this Sat- bring soap in case of rain  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2057837

Renew Deal DU Moderator Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Wed Oct-05-11 12:58 AM
Original message
DU Occupies Wall Street in NYC this Saturday 10/8/11! Join Us!!!

Edited on Wed Oct-05-11 01:06 AM by Renew Deal
DU Occupies Wall Street
NYC
Saturday 10/8/11!
11AM
Join Us!!!

Several NYC area DUers have expressed interest in joining the Occupy Wall Street protests this weekend. We will meet at the cube on the South East Corner of Broadway and Liberty St in Manhattan at 11AM. We'll participate in the protest, hang out, join the General Assembly at 1PM, spread the good name of DU, and have some fun with our fellow 99%ers.

Here is a map of the area: http://g.co/maps/f94eu

Bring yourselves, your signs, and your enthusiasm. I'll put up a post on Saturday morning to help get everyone together, so don't worry if you'll be late. I'll try to update status for as long as I'm there.

Please post any questions here or PM me. Please let us know if you plan to attend so we have an idea how many people are coming. I will post a new thread with more info on Friday

I can only commit to being there until 3PM, but if someone wants to organize a get together at a bar for later in the day that would be great.

First thread about this: http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...
www.occupywallst.org
www.nycga.cc
www.occupytogether.org
http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution

They are forever in search of the new Woodstock.

vets74 Donating Member (343 posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Wed Oct-05-11 07:04 AM
Response to Reply #1
12. PLEASE BE AWARE ::: SATURDAY is going to be huge turnout day.   Updated at 9:06 PM

Biggest estimates point to 10,000 to 15,000 people. That's easily 5 times the capacity of the open areas in and around Zuccotti Park.

(Brookfield Properties, chaired by John Zuccotti, is the host for this shindig. Good allies to have.)

The Cube could well be swamped with crowd.

OWS is turning into a massive, unscripted, unKochsuckered human response to Wall Street's greed and criminality.

Give it another couple of weeks and this thing could build to 50,000 to 100,0000 people on a Saturday.

And BTW: avoid getting arrested. Seriously. It's no fun and the corporatist media play it to undercut the seriousness of what is happening

That area is going to smell worse than stinky's basement.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Karin

OK.  That's the 8th and then Van Jones is planning something spectacular for the 10th.  Then the country turns its back on liberal lefty loons.  And communists. 

I would try and persuade some CCer who lives near to go and be a mole, but I couldn't ask anyone to do that.  When even Bill Schulz is getting grossed out, you know it's bad. 

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
vets74 Donating Member (343 posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Wed Oct-05-11 07:04 AM
Response to Reply #1
12. PLEASE BE AWARE ::: SATURDAY is going to be huge turnout day.   Updated at 9:06 PM

Biggest estimates point to 10,000 to 15,000 people. That's easily 5 times the capacity of the open areas in and around Zuccotti Park...

DUac estimates are almost always overstated by an average factor of 1,000.  Meaning, the most optimistic IRL estimate is that 10 to 15 DUmbshits will peel their lazy asses from the Costco computer chair in mama's basement and show up - if someone promises FREE pot and Cheetos.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Tucker

DUac estimates are almost always overstated by an average factor of 1,000.  Meaning, the most optimistic IRL estimate is that 10 to 15 DUmbshits will peel their lazy asses from the Costco computer chair in mama's basement and show up - if someone promises FREE pot and Cheetos.

They asked for someone to organize a pub meet. Somehow I doubt that all attendee's will be available for the whoop-de-do. Some will be eating free bologna sandwiches, courtesy of the city.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
10,000 people in New York.  How will the city handle all that extra traffic? :yawn:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

10,000 people in New York.  How will the city handle all that extra traffic? :yawn:

Yeah, if the cops would let you, you could get a crowd like that together by just popping a dozen kegs on a corner and leaving it to word-of-mouth for two hours.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator

Biggest estimates point to 10,000 to 15,000 people.

I'm hoping we get a primitive picture thread out of this.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
I'm hoping we get a primitive picture thread out of this.

By "picture thread", you mean pictures/photocopies of DUmmy hands posted up on threads or in sig-lines on the 'Island, in solidarity with the filthy, smelly hippie freeloaders in New York, right? :confused:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
By "picture thread", you mean pictures/photocopies of DUmmy hands posted up on threads or in sig-lines on the 'Island, in solidarity with the filthy, smelly hippie freeloaders in New York, right? :confused:

No, I want to see more pictures of old hippies, as I need a new avatar.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Turn the firehoses on them...for all our sakes.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline sybilll

The manifesto for OWS put together by the folks at Reason is hysterical.  Enjoy:  http://reason.com/archives/2011/10/05/occupy-wall-street-a-manifesto

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Looks like the ultimate mole opportunity to me... :whistling:
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Looks like the ultimate mole opportunity to me... :whistling:

Lemme guess the name of yours . . .

Taverner! :fuelfire: :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Karin

Sybilll, that was funny.  They're being ridiculed all over the internets. 

Offline sybilll

Hey, remember when that Tea Partier took a shit on a police car, and left piles of garbage for as long as the eye can see?  Yeah, me neither, but, get a load of what is happening at OWS in NYC:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046586/Occupy-Wall-Street-protesters-accused-turning-New-York-public-toilet-shocking-pictures-demonstrator-defecating-POLICE-CAR.html

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
Anybody see any new primitive comments about the primitive get-together today?

I looked but couldn't find.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Tucker

Anybody see any new primitive comments about the primitive get-together today?

I looked but couldn't find.

Yeah. Some DUmmy is running a live update.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2079731

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
Thanks, sir.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
About 150 people showed up at Centennial Park this morning for an organizational meeting in support of the on-going protests on Wall Street.

About 35 protesters with Occupy Nashville have set up camp on the steps of Legislative Plaza in downtown Nashville.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111008/NEWS02/111008019/2275/RSS05

Two million people and they can only find 35 people to stay overnight. :rotf:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 09:27:44 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
If you're gonna hit them with firehoses, make sure you do it right before sunset when the weather forecast calls for a low somewhere below freezing.  That'd be a hoot.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Two million people and they can only find 35 people to stay overnight.
That number will swell to over 50 when the downtown panhandlers join the  party.

Offline Tucker

That number will swell to over 50 when the downtown panhandlers join the  party.

It might hit 75 when the story is told and retold.