Author Topic: Bouncy? ref: Maya Wiley  (Read 1405 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Bouncy? ref: Maya Wiley
« on: March 07, 2018, 12:33:26 AM »
H2O Man (58,613 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210327128

Maya Wiley

Today, I had the opportunity to speak with a number of family and friends about events involving the investigation into the Trump-Russian scandal. In each case, the specific topic we focused upon was Dam Nunberg's numerous television appearances yesterday. And, by no coincidence, each person I spoke with asked me if I had watched Maya Wiley's ability to speak gently, yet firmly, to Mr. Nunberg? Indeed, I had – and not for the first time was I extremely impressed with Ms. Wiley.

So I e-mailed Ms. Wiley to express the appreciation that my family, friends, and I feel. And in a short time, I heard back from Maya! I then asked her if it would be okay if I shared her message here, as well as with my daughter. She replied, and so here goes:

“Thank you so very much for the kind words, Mr. McElligott. I believe that we all must find the humanity Trump sometimes wrongly makes us feel is lost! It's only lost if we lose it! And I feel in such wonderful company! Thank you so much for being part of that company.
Maya”

Now, if that didn't make my day! Showed my sons, and I'll show my daughters, too. The older one works on immigration at a Boston law firm, and the younger one is part of a social-political activist group at an upstate college. And Maya Wiley is exactly the type of role model that young women benefit the most from.

I know that Maya's father, George Wiley, was a civil rights activist, who inspired her to fight the Good Fight. So I was reminded of part of a chapter for a book on the power of compassion and forgiveness by a Binghamton University professor, that I assisted Rubin “Hurricane” Carter in contributing:

“Hate can only produce hate. That's why all these wars are going on, all this insanity. There's too much anger in the U.S. People are too afraid, too numbed out. We need to wipe out all of this hatred, fear, distrust, and violence. We need to understand, forgive, and love.” (2001)

Peace,
Patrick

:whatever:

H2O Man (58,613 posts)

6. Thanks, cillia4progress!

I have enjoyed watching Ms. Wiley on MSNBC for some time now. Today, among others, a friend who is a professor of philosophy from a large university, a medical doctor, and my cousin (who was shot, as was his son who died in his arms, by a drunken, off-duty deputy in the road rage incident I've posted about here on DU) all were hugely impressed with her presentation last night. I assume that the majority of forum members here are, too!

:mental:

H2O Man (58,613 posts)

8. Right!

I had told her that I'm a retired psychiatric social worker, and was hugely impressed with how she was able to communicate so clearly with Mr. Nunberg. That's an ability that cannot be taught in a classroom.

:thatsright:

H2O Man (58,613 posts)

10. Respectfully disagree.

Mr. Nunberg had been told about Ms. McDougal several times on other shows earlier in the day. His brain quite literally was not able to process that. This is a common feature with people in mental states similar to Mr. Nunberg's.

In fact, he trusted Ms. Wiley. This trust, I should note, was not simply rooted in last night's show. Those who watched her communicate with him last week -- when he was relatively stable, and not under the extreme pressure he exhibited yesterday -- saw the beginnings of that trust take root.

:???:

Star Member CaliforniaPeggy (124,123 posts)

14. My dear Patrick...

How fortunate you were in being able to reach out and communicate with Ms. Wiley! And even better that she answered.

You have these amazing connections. I am honored to see them surrounding you, and I'm sure the folks here on DU who read your eloquent posts feel similarly.

Thank you.

:bs:

H2O Man (58,613 posts)

19. Thanks, Peggy!

Yesterday, I got to see my youngest daughter at college. I had to drop off some things that she and a friend need for next week, when they go to Georgia on spring break, to work for Habitat for Humanity. Her friend is the daughter of an ambassador from Qatar. We got to talk for about an hour, and I was happy to learn more about how people in the Middle East view Trump. On the ride home, a friend who came with me said that his favorite thing is to listen to the young people today.

My daughter had told her buddy about how one night years ago, Rubin called me while he was in the Middle East with Nelson Mandela. They both believed, Rubin told me, that Bush and Cheney were the greatest stumbling block to progress there. The young lady said that they had had real hopes for President Obama, but felt the machine tied his hands.

I am fortunate to be able to talk to and know a variety of people -- including on this forum. And I enjoy having the opportunity to share some of the wisdom that I've been exposed to. And that definitely includes recommending that young people pay close attention to Ms. Wiley!

O-)

H2O Man (58,613 posts)

20. Thank you!

Maya is a powerful person. She combines brilliance and compassion. And I loved how she communicated that actions have consequences.

Ari Melber is outstanding, too. One of my friend's son used to work at the Center for Constitutional Rights, and Mr. Melber was there, too. And he brings real talents to his show. But, as you note, Maya Wiley really reached Mr. Nunberg.

::)
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: Bouncy? ref: Maya Wiley
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »
 :yawn: Yaaaaaawwwwwwwwwn ... and I met Barry McGuire while walking through a parking lot just before a concert. :yawn:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 12:58:47 PM »
>>“Hate can only produce hate. <<

And yet, liberals seem to think that their hate will somehow produce some kind of good.

When it comes to hate -- liberals have the market cornered.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:30:53 PM »
Apparently Ms. Wiley is a SJW, and has been for quite awhile. A DUmpster wet dream.

Oh,  interesting read, and how WRONG she was.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/15/diversity-right-wing-complaints-working-class-problems

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.