Author Topic: car identification  (Read 20651 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: car identification
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »
My insurance agent will give me $50 of free gas for every person I recommended to him.  Money talks.

That's almost enough gas to fire up a moped, and rev it a few times, before it sputters and wheezes to a halt. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »
That's almost enough gas to fire up a moped, and rev it a few times, before it sputters and wheezes to a halt. 
It's enough to fill the 12-gallon tank on my Beigemobile and drive for a week and a half.

I used to be able to make it two weeks on a tank, but prices have gone up.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »
That's a lot of history there, cool
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »
I'm tempted to post what pictures I have.  I have a couple, I just haven't posted them online.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »
I'm tempted to post what pictures I have.  I have a couple, I just haven't posted them online.

Pictures of what?  Old cars back in the day?  That would be a fun thread.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2011, 09:39:34 PM »
Pictures of what?  Old cars back in the day?  That would be a fun thread.
I have fambly pictures with cars in them.  My aunt is a giveaway, though... she always bought Buicks.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
I have fambly pictures with cars in them.  My aunt is a giveaway, though... she always bought Buicks.

I enjoy Buicks.  My grandfather was a new Buick salesman for a spell in the 1950's.  He was one of their best salesman in the state at one point in time.  They gave him some glasses that had the Buick logo on them.  If you post a bunch of Buick pictures, I'll have to dig them out and snap a picture.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »
So I only have one picture with a car in it.  It's a 1958 Chevrolet Impala.

I'd scan and post it, but my scanner is covered under a mountain of papers and I don't want to cause an avalanche.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2011, 07:49:57 PM »
So I only have one picture with a car in it.  It's a 1958 Chevrolet Impala.

I'd scan and post it, but my scanner is covered under a mountain of papers and I don't want to cause an avalanche.

Chevrolet used that rear end, or something similar with it, clear into the mid-1960s, right?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »
Not to my knowledge.  The 1958 Chevrolet was a one-year-only model and Buick/Pontiac had different sheetmetal.

Can't find anything from '61-'62.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2011, 08:04:32 PM »
The blue one's the one I'm thinking of, when referring to the "rear end."

Basically, the tail-lights.  I'm sure those were on Chevrolets into the mid-1960s.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »
Chevrolet had a good run with round tail lights until 1965.  I don't know if it was just the styling or some federal regulation, but the 1965 model had square lights.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2011, 08:17:03 PM »
I loved this thread.

Offline namvet

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2011, 08:36:10 PM »

From 1949, North Platte, Nebraska; anybody know what kind of airplane that was?

a DC3 all right. might be a conversion from the military C47

of interest to me is the location

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07DGeLvDw8I[/youtube]

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2011, 09:55:18 PM »

That is a neat video, namvet.  Makes one proud to be American. :cheersmate:

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »
You might want to hop back up the thread.  I think the only thing we don't have nailed down is the exact model of the Farmall, and the year of the Model T.

The U.S. Army soldier in the picture has one stripe on his sleeve, a Private E-2, if there was such a thing as an E-2 before the reorganization of enlisted ranks in the 50's but a Private nonetheless. Franksolich is right, that's a sharp looking uniform. Might be tailor made which would be unheard of among privates getting $49.00 per month in those days unless his family sprung for it. Judging by the Rollieflex camera in his hands (top of the line) I would say this kid's family had some money.

I'm guessing the tractor is a Farmall Cub, but I could be wrong.

I don't know about the Model T. Growing up one of my friend's Dad in the neighborhood had a 1927 touring model T convertible. Still has it too. 1927 was the last year of the T and IIRC the last year for wooden spoked wheels. Therefore the black coupe in the color picture with the wire wheels is a model A. Notice the boot in the black & white pic is has a pronounced angle (1924 or older) and the boot on the coupe in the color pic is sloped, no angle.
I think it's a 1924 or older 5 window doctor's coupe model T.

P.S. Franksolich has some awesome Kodachromes! Drool bib req'd.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:29:06 PM by FreeBorn »

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2011, 11:18:14 PM »
I'm guessing the tractor is a Farmall Cub, but I could be wrong.

P.S. Franksolich has some awesome Kodachromes! Drool bib req'd.

I'll be excited if we get any more threads like this one, from anybody else that has old photos.  I'll see what I can conjure up, but I think most of our stuff is on slides, though.

I'm still curious about that tractor.  I originally looked at the Cub and the Farmall B, but didn't think it was either of them.  The tractor in frank's photograph has more 'open space' behind the engine under the hood of any Cub photograph I could find.  The wheels on the front axle are not like any I found on the Cub, and look like the ones on an A.

From what I found, the B only came with a narrow front axle.  I guess you could have changed that to whatever axle you needed, though.   :confused:

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2011, 12:03:22 AM »
Hmmm... Don't know too much about tractors. I know the Cub had that offset body though, set to the right and the driver's seat set to the left of the body. All of them that I have seen in person had the wide front end but I found a pic on the innerwebz of a cub with a narrow front end and it has two seats!

I would be interested to see an old photo thread get going here because I have lots of old family photos and a gazillion  more at my folk's. My Dad's mom went to France in 1919 and we have literally shoe boxes full of prints from that trip. I need to spend a little time getting acquainted with my copier/ scanner/ fax/ printer/ omelette maker so I can put those old prints on my 'puter.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2011, 12:23:36 AM »
The U.S. Army soldier in the picture has one stripe on his sleeve, a Private E-2, if there was such a thing as an E-2 before the reorganization of enlisted ranks in the 50's but a Private nonetheless. Franksolich is right, that's a sharp looking uniform. Might be tailor made which would be unheard of among privates getting $49.00 per month in those days unless his family sprung for it. Judging by the Rollieflex camera in his hands (top of the line) I would say this kid's family had some money.

In the mid 50's the Army had 3 levels of privates. E-1, E-2 and PFC. A stripe was not earned until you made PFC. My top pay as a PFC was $120 per month in 1957. Beer and a good cheeseburger was two bits on post and cigs were 2 dollars a carton.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2011, 12:56:14 AM »
My Dad's mom went to France in 1919 and we have literally shoe boxes full of prints from that trip.

I hope you get the time to throw these up on a thread.  Those would be very interesting.

Offline namvet

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2011, 09:24:42 AM »
Hmmm... Don't know too much about tractors. I know the Cub had that offset body though, set to the right and the driver's seat set to the left of the body. All of them that I have seen in person had the wide front end but I found a pic on the innerwebz of a cub with a narrow front end and it has two seats!

I would be interested to see an old photo thread get going here because I have lots of old family photos and a gazillion  more at my folk's. My Dad's mom went to France in 1919 and we have literally shoe boxes full of prints from that trip. I need to spend a little time getting acquainted with my copier/ scanner/ fax/ printer/ omelette maker so I can put those old prints on my 'puter.

I don't know much about em either. could be a cub. but that looks like a Farmall. this one you posted looks restored. never seen a 2 seater before. so I suspect it was an add on

note the offset body. I don't understand that at all....1953

this one has the steering shaft on the left side

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:39:22 AM by namvet »

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »
A few years back at the fair when I was hanging around the ancient-gentlemen-with-their-tractors section (my favorite area), there was an old man with a 1919 Fordson.  My brother-in-law and myself stayed and chatted with him for well over an hour about that tractor, and many other that he had used, restored, or owned just to have, during his lifetime.  At some point in time during the tales of his tractors, a two-seater was mentioned.  I don't remember if he bought it that way, or if he made the addition himself. 

I'll have to ask my brother-in-law, and see if he remembers what the explanation was.  I want to say it was to have someone operate a piece of equipment while the driver operated the tractor. 

Offline namvet

« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
A few years back at the fair when I was hanging around the ancient-gentlemen-with-their-tractors section (my favorite area), there was an old man with a 1919 Fordson.  My brother-in-law and myself stayed and chatted with him for well over an hour about that tractor, and many other that he had used, restored, or owned just to have, during his lifetime.  At some point in time during the tales of his tractors, a two-seater was mentioned.  I don't remember if he bought it that way, or if he made the addition himself. 

I'll have to ask my brother-in-law, and see if he remembers what the explanation was.  I want to say it was to have someone operate a piece of equipment while the driver operated the tractor. 

I'd say the one freeborn put up was pimped out. the farmall's i posted seem larger than his. I ran thru a seach engine "restored cub tractors"  but they all have the wide front wheelbase.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »
You want old, huh?

Here's one from my mom's family. That's her father on the right.

And here's another with her on a tractor on the farm up in Pierson, MI, from the 1930s.

Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2011, 02:13:25 PM »
In the mid 50's the Army had 3 levels of privates. E-1, E-2 and PFC. A stripe was not earned until you made PFC. My top pay as a PFC was $120 per month in 1957. Beer and a good cheeseburger was two bits on post and cigs were 2 dollars a carton.

Yes, in the WW2 era unforms, a single stripe was PFC.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.