Author Topic: Does an employer have the right to fire an employee who lied on their applicatio  (Read 2323 times)

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
Did someone get fired?
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8447681
cherokeeprogressive  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat May-29-10 11:36 PM
Original message
Poll question: Does an employer have the right to fire an employee who lied on their application?

Plain and simple. If you lie on an employment application, and get the job, does your employer have the right to fire you when they find out you told a lie in order to get the job?

Poll result (180 votes)
Yes   (152 votes, 84%)   
No   (8 votes, 4%)   
Maybe   (20 votes, 11%)
Don't think the poll is going the way the OP wanted.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Alpha Mare

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
They didn't like it, but it was pretty obvious to most DUmmies.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
They didn't like it, but it was pretty obvious to most DUmmies.

Depends on the lie I would think.

Say someone applies for a job that normally  has young workers and they are say 5 years over the line.   So they shave a few years off their age.

They know the health insurance the company has is picky so they forget to mention a back injury 20 years ago.

They got arrested for a felony at age 18 but cleared of all charges--so they check a box saying they were never arrested.

All depends on the company and how usefull you are to them.

Offline thundley4

Depends on the lie I would think.

Say someone applies for a job that normally  has young workers and they are say 5 years over the line.   So they shave a few years off their age.

They know the health insurance the company has is picky so they forget to mention a back injury 20 years ago.

They got arrested for a felony at age 18 but cleared of all charges--so they check a box saying they were never arrested.

All depends on the company and how usefull you are to them.

If the person is valuable enough, the company might overlook some small fibs, but it would depend on the type of business and what the lie was.  That was not the question though.  Does a company have the right to fire someone for lying on their application.   Yes, and almost every application has a statement to the effect that lying on the application is grounds for termination.

Offline KittenClaws

• Probationary (Probie)
Sure they do! Most applications say as much.

That being said, a bit of advise for the "victims" of this practice:  Don't do anything that will jeapordize your future job prospects.

If you are known thief don't apply at a bank.

If you are a drug addict, forget the pharmacy assistant job.

Ya'll get my drift. . .

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
cherokeeprogressive  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun May-30-10 12:29 AM
Response to Reply #30
34. Ha. I cut a 92 on the ASVAB. My recruiter told me the Navy was my oyster...

I wanted to go to ATC school, and he promised me I could. But... I had a ticket for MJ possession and a couple of Failures to Appear... so, he said... go to bootcamp, keep your nose clean, and tell the detailer at the other end that you want to go to Air Traffic Control school. Done Deal!

After bootcamp, I sat in front of the detailer, who laughed, and sent me to the fleet as a non-rate.
I've seen this episode of JAG, the cute little brunette was a whiny bitch...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

I've seen this episode of JAG, the cute little brunette was a whiny bitch...

The DUmmie was stoopid to go in without a guaranteed rate.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
When one fills out a job application, its a contract. On that contract, you agree that everything you have written on it is true to the best of your knowledge.

Also..

Even though we have rights, we may voluntarily agree to limitations on those rights during work hours as a condition of employment. And in other cases, there are agreements in your employment contract that limit what you can do outside of work as well. Its spelled out in the employment contract. If one agrees to employment terms with tough requirements, then its nobodies fault but the employees if they lose their job because they broke the agreement.

for example - a common employment requirement is the employee 'must be bondable' - if you are or become unbondable because of a criminal record you gain outside of work, you lose your job.

Other jobs with a high visibility of its employees require proper decorum outside of the workplace. So, getting drunk and disorderly on weekends, or putting photos of yourself pole-dancing on Facebook may cost you your job.

-- another example may be working for a Catholic organization as a proud 'out there' atheist. 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Not admitting to a felony is a big no-no, particularly if it's a job that requires some type of license.

Vesta...I don't think it's legal to ask age any more on a job application. They get around it by asking school and work history, but I don't think they can come right out an ask.

I do agree, that an employer should be allowed to fire an employee for lying....particularly about job experience, education, and criminal history - or lack of.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

The DUmmie was stoopid to go in without a guaranteed rate.
Promises    March 28, 2000
A Navy sailor is charged with desertion, but she claims that her recruiter lied to her about what the service was about.
I told you I saw this episode...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

I told you I saw this episode...

According to DUmmies, all recruiters lie, all the time. Mine didn't.

Offline Chris_

According to DUmmies, all recruiters lie, all the time. Mine didn't.
Mine did, but, not about anything important.

Offline Peter3_1

Never lie about medical treatment especially if you collected ins. or W/C no matter how long ago. The MIB keeps it on file for 99 years.......and coverage WILL be voided if you claim it again unless the State law has a cutoff, as many do now.

Offline sofa king

that thread just keeps getting better.

just when you think their ideas couldn't be anymore out there, i present william z. foster...

William Z. Foster  (1000+ posts)      Mon May-31-10 05:51 PM
Response to Original message
93. the more I think about this...

I oppose the entire concept of firing anyone, let alone the idea that one person has a right to fire another.

It is amazing the things we have been indoctrinated into thinking of as normal and acceptable.

tammywammy Donating Member (1000+ posts)    Mon May-31-10 05:52 PM
Response to Reply #93
94. So in your mind, no one should ever be allowed to get fired? n/t

William Z. Foster (1000+ posts)    Mon May-31-10 06:12 PM
Response to Reply #94
95. correct

That is my position.

tammywammy Donating Member (1000+ posts)    Mon May-31-10 06:16 PM
Response to Reply #95
96. I think that's nuts

I've fired people before, they deserved it. They were either stealing or pissing off my customers where I worked (and didn't knock it off after I told them too). There's a lot of reasons someone can and should be fired, including stealing, harassment, lying, etc.

William Z. Foster (1000+ posts)    Mon May-31-10 06:21 PM
Response to Reply #96
98. you made my case for me

In those instances where there is stealing, harassment, lying going on, can you not imagine any other approach?

Why do you get to decide who does and who does not "deserve" this, and then get to do it?

tammywammy Donating Member (1000+ posts)    Mon May-31-10 06:30 PM
Response to Reply #98
99. No, I cannot imagine another approach

Edited on Mon May-31-10 06:31 PM by tammywammy
When an employee is stealing they deserve to get fired. If someone is actively harassing other employees they deserve to get fired. Stealing and harassment are non-negotiable types of behavior. The reason I was the one to decide is because I was the manager running the store, and when people were hired on they accepted the types of behavior that the store deemed appropriate, and their nifty employee handbook stated they would get fired for stealing and harassment.

edited to add: If I harass people where I work now, I would deserve to get fired. I knew that when I took the job and signed paperwork to that effect.

William Z. Foster (1000+ posts)     Mon May-31-10 06:36 PM
Response to Reply #99
100. fair enough

Edited on Mon May-31-10 06:37 PM by William Z. Foster
None of us apply much creativity to these issues. You are describing the situation as it exists accurately, I think. But what a horrible situation.

People do not get fired for stealing and harassment. They get fired because their boss accuses them of those.

"Deserve." Ugh. How awful.

wow.

:loser:

Offline soleil

Of course they have the right. That question is stupid. Otherwise, what would even be the point? I can tweak this and that, and I will come out as the better one to hire. I'd rather not get a job than be fired from one for lying.

Offline soleil

that thread just keeps getting better.

just when you think their ideas couldn't be anymore out there, i present william z. foster...

wow.

:loser:

That guy's thinking is clearly irrational and absurd.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Peggy inserted herself into the thread:

Thank you for your good thoughts about my health!
   I appreciate it a lot...

And I heard about that woman. There's no way her religion should be part of the questions asked, by anyone. Church or otherwise.

I LOVE that I'm OK too, sweetie!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline soleil

Peggy inserted herself into the thread:

Told you. If it can't be about her, what is the point of her even posting? Skanky bitch.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
cherokeeprogressive  (1000+ posts)          Sun May-30-10 12:08 AM

25. Oh Peg, you're a wonderful person, so much as I can tell by what I know about you from your posts...
   Would that the world were filled with people like you, Muffin... it would be a much nicer place.

Muffin?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Chris_

Told you. If it can't be about her, what is the point of her even posting? Skanky bitch.

Sounds like greenbriar.  Whatever happened to her anyway?  Did we scare her off?

Offline soleil

Sounds like greenbriar.  Whatever happened to her anyway?  Did we scare her off?

I was harsh to call CP that. I try to be a little better than that. She is a selfish bitch. Skanky? I really don't know about that.

Anyway, Greenbriar? Is she the one that is sick all of the time and has the most outrageous things happen to her? If that is her, well she is crazy. Bless her heart.

Offline Chris_

Pretty much.  Frau Grünbriar won our DUmmy of the year award for her ridiculous stories.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Not admitting to a felony is a big no-no, particularly if it's a job that requires some type of license.

Vesta...I don't think it's legal to ask age any more on a job application. They get around it by asking school and work history, but I don't think they can come right out an ask.

I do agree, that an employer should be allowed to fire an employee for lying....particularly about job experience, education, and criminal history - or lack of.

Very true. As for job, some places a person works at or the supervisor may not be there anymore. As for crime, don't even bother to lie because they can find that easily.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
William Z Fister is a total moron