Author Topic: ageing primitives recall Martha Mitchell  (Read 523 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
ageing primitives recall Martha Mitchell
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:58:08 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=226x6900

Oh my.

I guess I'll have to drag out a history book.

.... callchet ....  (1000+ posts)     Sun Feb-01-09 07:10 PM
Original message

Does anybody know a story about Martha Mitchell's kidnapping.

virgogal (96 posts)      Sun Feb-01-09 07:14 PM
Response to Original message

1. Can't help you but I did see her on a talk show when she was talking about it. (It could have been The Mike Douglas Show)

She was quite a woman.

proud2BlibKansan  (1000+ posts)        Sun Feb-01-09 07:17 PM
Response to Reply #1

4. Remember how she called reporters?

Nixon wanted to muzzle her.

In case one doesn't know this, the dysmenopausal Kansas school teacher was already a fully-grown adult at the time of Martha Mitchell, which was a very long time ago.

midnight  (1000+ posts)       Sun Feb-01-09 07:39 PM
Response to Reply #3

5. I briefly remember my family discussing Martha Mitchell's struggle to get the truth of the Nixon administrations actions known. I find this statement she made very concerning."Once she suspected her disease was brought on by the injection she had forcibly received in California—a highly inaccurate supposition." For those of us who witnessed the Russian agent die of poising last year, it does not seem so highly inaccurate.

proud2BlibKansan  (1000+ posts)        Sun Feb-01-09 07:46 PM
Response to Reply #5

6. No doubt 

They really hated her. But she was sort of an amusing distraction at the time.

.... callchet ....  (1000+ posts)     Sun Feb-01-09 08:50 PM
Response to Reply #3

9. An incredible thanks to you.

That story has been on my mind since it happened. My recollection was that she was "kidnapped". Detained in a room was all I remember. I do not know why I had such an interest in Ms. Mitchell, but I was outraged by the story. I have tried to research it ( the kidnapping ), but had no success.

At first I thought the story was buried. I do not know who or why that would have happened. I do have some sort of knack for identifying unusual situations, the results of which do not follow logically with the advanced explanations. She was very outspoken and candid, so I am sure this is the end of the story.

Thanks again for your time and effort. I read all of the post and I will follow the links. If there is anything that you think I might be able to help you with, please don't hesitate to inquire. Thank you, Chet

FLyellowdog  (1000+ posts)        Sun Feb-01-09 08:18 PM
Response to Original message

7. Funeral Wreath...didn't someone send a wreath to her funeral that said "Martha was right"? Vague memory...

Yeah, I saw that in an old Time magazine one time; and there was her husband, John Mitchell, honestly and sincerely grieving a woman he had honestly and sincerely loved despite her loose screws; that's the impact that photograph had on me.
apres moi, le deluge