Author Topic: Wouldn't a non-specific Trump self-pardon, upheld by SCOTUS,...  (Read 490 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Wouldn't a non-specific Trump self-pardon, upheld by SCOTUS,...
« on: December 04, 2020, 03:35:35 PM »
Pantagruel (1,051 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214660981

Wouldn't a non-specific Trump self-pardon, upheld by SCOTUS, have the effect of crowning Joe Biden king ?

It puts him above the law, plain and simple.
In fact, as an example, couldn't JB round up every member of the Trump gang and throw them in Guantanamo with the lame excuse "some people were saying" they took military secrets with them and would otherwise sell them to our enemies. Doesn't have to be true because JB would be outside the justice system. Trump caged innocent children who posed far less of a threat to our national security.

Is Trump really thinking through his abuse of the pardon power of POTUS, it could bite him on the ass?

Same deal with Trump resigning, "POTUS for a day' Pence granting him a non-specific pardon. If that's allowed to stand and Pence and then Harris are complicit, JB is effectively a king.

We really gotta tighten up some of the mechanics of our constitution.We're heading for a cliff and I believe even Trump will apply the brakes but then again I thought HRC would be elected.

:thatsright:

Star Member intrepidity (2,392 posts)

2. Rs get away with it, knowing Ds will NEVER do the same

It has to do with the character of Dems.

:rotf:

Fiendish Thingy (5,607 posts)

4. That's why SCOTUS will never support a self pardon from any president.

If self pardons were allowed, what would stop a president from assassinating all the Trump appointed justices?

If self pardons were legal, not only would a president become a King, he would become an invulnerable Terminator, capable of killing or ordering killings of who ever he pleases, with impeachment his only potential consequence.

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Wouldn't a non-specific Trump self-pardon, upheld by SCOTUS,...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 04:01:53 PM »
I suspect the primitives are taking too much for granted; perhaps it would be good if they waited a while before declaring something's going to happen.

As of this afternoon, for whatever reason; it's an intuitive feeling, not an intellectual one.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Wouldn't a non-specific Trump self-pardon, upheld by SCOTUS,...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 05:16:25 PM »
These morons sure have a hardon for locking up their political opposition.  And yet in their tiny minds we are the fascists....
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020