Author Topic: primitives being anti-teachers  (Read 1034 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives being anti-teachers
« on: June 12, 2008, 07:30:13 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3431612

Oh my.

Isn't it a deviation from the party line, for the primitives to denigrate public school teachers?

DutchLiberal  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 06:10 PM
Original message

Only 18% of American teenagers can point out own country on map

That's what I read today in my newspaper. I also said two-thirds of them think there are over a billion Americans in the world (as opposed to the actual 300 million).

How can you NOT know where your OWN country is on the map? Okay, don't ask me to point out Mozambique or Tanzania, but I surely would be able to pick out my own country...

Well, franksolich assumes the dutcher primitive, as an adult, should be able to find Mozambique and Tanzania too.

The anti-rural bigot the pollen primitive:

RGBolen  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 06:12 PM
Response to Original message

2. They have to use their brain to remember "what's on da TeeVee tonight"

jazzy062  Donating Member  (440 posts) Wed Jun-11-08 06:13 PM

4. We are so screwed as these are the folks that will be running the country when we're old and gray......just dayum.

Actually, they can't make more of a mess of things than the primitives who've been running this now-waning Age of Aquarius since the mid-1970s.

HockeyMom  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 06:16 PM

6. I am a TA in Florida

The teacher was showing the kids in the class a globe. One kid asked where Hawaii was. The teacher was looking in the ATLANTIC Ocean for it and couldn't find it. I told her, "Look in the PACIFIC Ocean."

acmavm  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 06:22 PM
Response to Reply #6

9. That's part of the problem. The teacher's we've got nowdays. Some are dumber than a stump. Like my neighbor. I had lunch with her once. She's a ****ing idiot. And she teaches in the Omaha Public School system.

That's when I decided that we're really screwed.

PaulHo  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 06:41 PM
Response to Reply #9

21. If you *pay* them, they will come.

Intelligent people, that is.

Into teaching, that is.

How's Omaha in the 'public school teachers' salary dept.?

acmavm  (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-12-08 08:03 AM
Response to Reply #21

62. I think I read a couple years ago average salary was between 34 and 37 thousand. Not making them millionaires but keep in mind we aren't LA or NY, the cost of living (except for our taxes) isn't as bad as in the biggest cities. But the powers that be are sure as hell trying to catch up.

But yet.....despite these "low" salaries, for some reason the schools in Omaha manage to turn out more high school graduates, more college students, than schools in blue states with higher salaries, such as in Boston or San Francisco.

Bornaginhooligan  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 06:22 PM

10. 82% of American teenagers are smartasses who won't stay off my lawn.

Then in mid-bonfire, the discussion degenerates into the validity of the poll; the dutcher primitive admits his source was a "throwaway" newspaper in the Netherlands, and that the article didn't specify who did the polling, and what the questions were.

And then back on track:

Firespirit  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 07:06 PM

28. IF this is true, blame the schools and NCLB, not the kids.

I hate seeing this sort of thing because it usually devolves into an orgy of youth-bashing.

Kids these days are put through the dumbed-down curricula and Social Darwinist corruption of public education that is NCLB. They go home with 4 hours of useless busy work. Their parents have to work 3 jobs to keep the bank from turning them all onto the street, and the police-state schools keep records on which kids "have too much time on their hands" or "prefer being alone to being in a group," so they enroll the kids in every "extracurricular activity" they can find.

If this bit of data is true, it ISN'T the kids' fault. They are the victims of a system that has failed them utterly.

Ah, the No Child Left Behind Act, the brainchild of Vast Teddy.

And then the primitives squibble-squabble about whether the poll means 82% or 18% of American students can't find the United States on a map.  And then back on track.

Evoman  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 07:54 PM
Response to Reply #47

50. Well, they had to have pulled some stunt to get the result.

Maybe they blindfolded the kids. Or maybe the kids were being smart-asses. Or maybe it was un-labeled map and they pointed just a little north or a little south of the U.S. at Canada or Mexico.

Or maybe they were asked to point out "America" and they pointed to the americas. Who knows. But kids cannot be that dumb.

One looks in vain for the misgynaecological Kansas school teacher ("Proud2BLib") and the greedy thorn primitive ("greenbriar") at this bonfire, but they haven't shown up.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jukin

Re: primitives being anti-teachers
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 07:48:12 AM »
Maybe because the public school teachers spend their time indoctrinating the kids to the wonders of communism and the evils of capitalism instead of teaching the three R's?
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 07:53:45 AM »
Grrr....

The stupidity at the DUmp boggles the mind. I guess by now it shouldn't, but it still does.

I'll admit, there are a LOT of problems with the public schools in America. But I'd venture to say that at least 90% of the time, the teachers are doing the best that they can, given the circumstances-which often means no materials, no copier, no help from the administration of the school, and on and on.

The idea of passing kids just to get them out of your classroom is alive and in practice, as I have witnessed firsthand. We were told that we were NOT allowed to give students the grade that they deserved. If they earned anything less than a 60% for their report card, we had to give them the 60. I had one student whose average for my class was a 38%. His midterm grade was somewhere in the 20s. I was 'encouraged' to pass him anyway, despite the fact that HE WAS FUNCTIONALLY ILLITERATE. When I went to the guidance counselor to tell them I suspected he had reading problems and wanted him tested, they refused.

The majority of my students (in 9th grade) could not point out their own COUNTRY on a map, let alone anyplace else. I spent the first two periods of the second semester having them do map activities. LOTS of them. With my juniors, I spent a whole week on how to write an essay-how to formulate a thesis, how to defend a thesis, how to write a summary paragraph, noun-verb agreement-and I was the social studies teacher!

It's all well and good to blame NCLB, but that's only part of the problem. The teachers-who are overworked and underpaid-get no backup from their administrators. Kids who threaten teachers are not removed-they show up the next day in class. Parents are not held accountable for their child's attendance. A call home is more likely to result in frustration for the teacher, because the parents just don't care. And the ones that do are so few and far between that most teachers burn out within 5 years.

I place the blame for this solely on the Democrats. The majority of school systems that have horrible, horrible problems are the ones who are in the jurisdictions of Democrat-run city and county governments. These are the ones that throw money at the schools (as in, the most money spent per-pupil) but the money somehow never gets to the students or the teachers...so kids sit in overcrowded classrooms, with no books, no heat in the winter, and we wonder why our kids aren't learning.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:52:35 AM »
^You're so on the money here. My son's teacher actually waited four days before calling me to let me know he hadn't turned in his homework. My son is an A/B student and is in GT. He's not struggling at all academically. His problem was just going through an "I don't give a rip/I'd rather go to soccer practice/It's warm/the pool is open/school is almost out" bout.

I feel sorry for his teacher. She IS hamstrung by policy on most things. What got me was not only how meek and nervous she sounded, but the fact that she asked ME what I felt she should do to him. My husband was a teacher for a few years (many moons ago) when he graduated college the first time. He decided to go into computer science and left the field. Anyway, he talked to her and suggested that she not only demand his missing work but that he be given extra homework as punishment. This was over and above the punishment we gave him. She called me back the next day to ask me the same thing! She never followed up and I made him hand carry the missing work in to class. I'm so glad we're done for the year.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:04:06 AM »
I place the blame for this solely on the Democrats. The majority of school systems that have horrible, horrible problems are the ones who are in the jurisdictions of Democrat-run city and county governments. These are the ones that throw money at the schools (as in, the most money spent per-pupil) but the money somehow never gets to the students or the teachers...so kids sit in overcrowded classrooms, with no books, no heat in the winter, and we wonder why our kids aren't learning.

Where does the money go?

In our city we spend almost $8000/kid. At 25/class that's nearly $200,000/class. Minus the teacher pay of $65,000 that's a missing $135,000/class. There is no way that overhead should run twice what the teacher's salary is. If we build a new school or even do modernizing the school district pushes a bond to fleece the the tax payers. That is a lot of money never accounted for.  Schools are not underfunded!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:42:23 AM »
^mismanged would probably be more accurate.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 11:59:40 AM »

Where does the money go?

In our city we spend almost $8000/kid. At 25/class that's nearly $200,000/class. Minus the teacher pay of $65,000 that's a missing $135,000/class. There is no way that overhead should run twice what the teacher's salary is. If we build a new school or even do modernizing the school district pushes a bond to fleece the the tax payers. That is a lot of money never accounted for.  Schools are not underfunded!

I am ever so thankful that my wife and I had the resources to send our three kids to private school (and now our grandkids)..........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 01:08:21 PM »

Where does the money go?

You really want to know?

Well, in addition to things such as boondoggles for the administrators (national conferences) there's also stuff like throwing huge, expensive galas for 'distinguished alumni', refurbishing the administrative offices every year (including new carpet, new paint, executive bathrooms, new furniture), and a slew of other unnecessary and useless things rather than doing things like providing books and desks for the students.