Author Topic: Doug's ex-wife wants to convince Bela Pelosi  (Read 949 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Doug's ex-wife wants to convince Bela Pelosi
« on: June 11, 2008, 08:49:35 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3431651

Oh my.

The dream just won't die.

It's too early to imagine the primitives as hunkered down in a bunker underneath the Reichchancellory, dreaming of repelling the enemy from Berlin, but we're getting there.  The enemy's already at the Vistula, and I'm sure we're going to see the primitives dive underground the next few months.

sfexpat2000  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 06:18 PM
Original message

The only way for impeachment to happen is to convince Pelosi it's politically beneficial for the Democrats in this election cycle.

No other appeal will work. Agreed? So, I'm not thinking of morality or, even, the law in this post. What are the best political arguments?

Why would impeachment proceedings be a net gain for Democrats in November?

Inoculation may be one benefit. The crimes of the current misAdministration are piled high and deep. The Democrats could inoculate themselves against consequences by at least appearing to be serious about holding the CIC responsible.

Inoculating Obama. Impeachment proceedings could inoculate Obama against the Carter Effect -- where the sitting Democrat is tarred for the negligence of the out of office Republican. We can assume Little Bush is going to drive this bus into a ditch before Obama takes office. And we need a lever to get that bus out.

The Democrats get a louder forum. As it is, every day the Republicans accuse the Democrats of all kinds of stuff and it goes unchallenged. Impeachment proceedings would give Democrats a louder, more visible forum to talk to the electorate than they have right now.

People respond to right doing. Surprising as it may be, some people in this country still care about and respond to acts of justice. It's been a long time since there's been so many people engaged in the political process. The timing is good for engaging those people and for reminding them why they don't want four more years of McSame.

If nothing else, these hearings attract attention. (Yes, I know I sound like a Republican but what the hell.) It's true, though. What are Democrats voting for right now? CHANGE. Let's offer change -- even vicariously through following the hearings and talking about it among their friends. How much more receptive to change are voting Democrats today compared to the Clinton years?

Can anyone else think of other / better arguments?

I can't.  I think Doug's ex-wife has some, uh, excellent arguments there, and I hope she tries them.

JDPriestly  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 07:37 PM
Response to Reply #1

40. Here's my contribution: We need to make sure that Bush cannot strut and swagger around the world after he leaves the White House. Can you imagine the snickering confusion and downright damage that a Bush retired from the presidency without so much as a verbal reprimand from Congress could inflict on future generations?

Bush must be fully retired. Giving him a generous pension, Secret Servicemen at his beck and call and the modern equivalent of a venerated title would be downright stupid. Bush has not earned it.

Bush's father was unpopular, but he did not bring shame on our country. Even Clinton with his embarrassing conduct in the White House did not bring shame on our country. In fact, Europeans thought we were odd for being embarrassed. After all, rumor has it that French President Mitterrand may have appointed his mistress to his cabinet? Now that's multitasking for real. Probably saved a lot of taxpayer money in the long run.

GWB is a known liar, torturer and thief. He should not be allowed to cavort through the rest of his life at taxpayer expense. Alexander Hamilton suggested in the Federalist Papers, No. 65, that impeachment could mean loss of the benefits of office. I don't know just to what extent that would be the case, but at the very least, impeachment would put the world on notice that Bush does not bear the stamp of approval of the American people now that his crimes have been outed more fully by the Intelligence Committee, Scott McClellan, the Waxman inquiries, the investigation into the Justice Department and the list goes on and on.

I dunno.  George Bush has franksolich's stamp of approval.

As long as the primitives think their opinion matters, franksolich thinks his does too.

loyalsister  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 07:46 PM
Response to Reply #40

41. Can you imagine how he would strut after a failed impeachment?

I think that impeachment hawks overestimate their support both in congress and in the general public.

MissWaverly  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 06:45 PM
Response to Reply #11

26. I think the only thing that would work would be for the GOP to dish all the dirt they know of about stolen election in 2000 and 2004, then they can say that the presidency was stolen from them by a "cabal" of people, then press for impeachment. If the Republicans moved on it, then Nancy would move, she is not one to intiate action, she reacts so don't look for the Dems to jump in the deep water first.

My, my, MissBlatherly is on some good dope.

MissWaverly  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 07:01 PM
Response to Reply #34

35. well, yeah, remember they had an easy bump after Watergate they were not locked out for generations but back in power after 8 years of Jimmy Carter who they smeared. The best thing would be to just release the truth now; they could not do any worse than they are. This way, they could move away from the Abramoff, DeLay, Norquist thingee as well. Saying they were the victims of the cabal.

Republicans are good at blaming people, they could save Bush, Sr. saying he was out of it and Junior was exploited by the evil Washington insiders.

Man, what MissBlatherly's smoking isn't garlic or catnip.

Nice little tidbit of information in the middle of the bonfire:

jberryhill  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 08:02 PM
Response to Reply #4

45. Except McCain didn't say that

The "Bush's third term" line originated with the Obama campaign to characterize a McCain presidency.

What McCain said in response was, "If I'm running for Bush's third term, then Obama is running for Jimmy Carter's second."

tekisui  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 06:24 PM
Response to Original message

8. IF Impeachment Hearings were held, the War Crimes Administration would have to appear and testify. An Impeachment Hearing has no "Executive Privilege" bullshit. IF Impeachment Hearings were held, the evidence would be so overwhelmingly clear, that the Country would be behind the Dems damn near 100%.

We have to give the People a chance to hear and understand what these crooks have done to Our Country.

They already feel it, they need to see it on their tv sets.

Impeachment Hearings are the ONLY way to get the facts to the People. The M$M ignore everything else.

It would be a landslide in November for the Dems, the "Culture of Corruption and Crime" would embarrass, disgrace and disgust anyone from voting for a puke.

It's a big bonfire, but a circular one, making one dizzy watching it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Doug's ex-wife wants to convince Bela Pelosi
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »
calipendence  (1000+ posts)        Wed Jun-11-08 09:35 PM
58. The problem is that this is a hypothetical. It's hard to "prove" that it is politically beneficial!
   Edited on Wed Jun-11-08 09:36 PM by calipendence
And just as equally hard to prove that it's not politically beneficial. So they themselves will define that it "isn't politically beneficial" and noone will argue with them

That damn Noone's been cross-posting! 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »
calipendence  (1000+ posts)        Wed Jun-11-08 09:35 PM
58. The problem is that this is a hypothetical. It's hard to "prove" that it is politically beneficial!
   Edited on Wed Jun-11-08 09:36 PM by calipendence
And just as equally hard to prove that it's not politically beneficial. So they themselves will define that it "isn't politically beneficial" and noone will argue with them

That damn Noone's been cross-posting! 

You bet your Yankee arse
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:15:27 PM »
well, yeah, remember they had an easy bump after Watergate they were not locked out for generations but back in power after 8 years of Jimmy Carter who they smeared.

I lived through carter and, although it FELT like 8 years, it was 4.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:17:19 PM »
Interesting how they can so easily isolate themselves from the known and conscience world.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:33:11 PM »
Quote from:
sfexpat2000

Inoculating Obama. Impeachment proceedings could inoculate Obama against the Carter Effect -- where the sitting Democrat is tarred for the negligence of the out of office Republican. We can assume Little Bush is going to drive this bus into a ditch before Obama takes office. And we need a lever to get that bus out.

It's funny to watch them already making excuses for B. Hussein Osama's failures should he win.  Second time I'm mentioning it at CC, but I've noticed it before, and I continue to expect to see more in the coming months.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:38:38 PM »
Quote from:
sfexpat2000

It's funny to watch them already making excuses for B. Hussein Osama's failures should he win.  Second time I'm mentioning it at CC, but I've noticed it before, and I continue to expect to see more in the coming months.

The hussein's low expectations train is already gaining significant steam.