Author Topic: skidmarked underwear primitive likes shop towels  (Read 1394 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
skidmarked underwear primitive likes shop towels
« on: June 11, 2008, 05:26:36 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=353x1542

Oh my.

The skidmarked underwear primitive, who thinks harassment and violence against political opponents is okay, and she hopes to see more of it.  The skidmarked underwear primitive lives in eastern Iowa, close enough that she's influenced by Chicago machine politics.

Skidmore  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Oct-16-07 03:42 PM
Original message

Shop towels, everyone, are the greatest things. You know those blue cotton lintless ones that come in boxes of 200? Well, I use them for everything. From drying dishes to scrubbing all kinds of stuff. We bought a box, and I separated out about a dozen for kitchen use, half a dozen for general cleaning (windows, dusting, general washing up), and my husband takes some down to the garage and his shop, and we put up the remaining 150 in storage for later.

Now, when the kitchen use towels wear out, I demote them to the status of a cleaning cloth, and then eventually they get sent to the garage or hubby's shop. I have a separate container where dirty towels are collected and I wash a load of them a week. I buy one roll of paper towels a month and these are used for microwaving mostly, although I bought one of those plastic microwave domes and we mostly use it to keep the thing from getting dirty.

Anyway, comparatively speaking, these shop towels are cheaper than decorator towels, can be used for many tasks, are infinitely recyclable, and sturdy.

WolverineDG  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-17-07 03:36 PM
Response to Original message

1. Good idea!

Where can we get some?

Skidmore  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-17-07 06:44 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Go to any car parts store, hardware or home improvement center.

They all carry them. But get the cotton ones with finished edges.

gollygee  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Oct-25-07 11:14 AM

4. I use shop towels for cleaning too!

I saw my husband using them in the garage and at some point I thought there was no reason I couldn't be using them in the house. I use them for everything.

eleny  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-01-07 11:48 AM

5. I love them

Decades ago, my husband worked as an auto mechanic and they used them all the time. I like how they come in the big boxes and find them at Lowes and Depot.

kittykitty  Donating Member  (832 posts) Mon Nov-05-07 12:13 AM

6. We bought a dozen at a flea mkt. in Florida 20 years ago, and we are STILL USING THEM!!

Skidmore  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Feb-10-08 06:17 PM

9. Just found a new use for old shop towels.

Cut them into rectangles slightly bigger that the size it would take to push into the holes on a Swiffer mop head. Run a quick hem around the edge and you can use these as dry mops for the floor or for removing cobwebs from the ceiling. You can then just toss them into the laundry to wash and then reuse.

JitterbugPerfume  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Apr-20-08 07:35 PM

10. I finally bought some, and I don't know what I did without them . They are all purpose towels!

I dunno.

franksolich just tears apart old shirts, pants, towels, and bed-linen--stuff that's past use any more--and these don't cost any money, period. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

Re: skidmarked underwear primitive likes shop towels
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
Frank,

My parents also used to use old shirts, but we also always had those white generic shop towels.  I have a few that I have around the house for cleaning.  They are good towels, better than those fancy "kitchen" towels. 

Shirt scraps were always used for Armor All on tires and inside cars and stuff, but the nicer towels were used for other things. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:59:19 PM »
Frank,

My parents also used to use old shirts, but we also always had those white generic shop towels.  I have a few that I have around the house for cleaning.  They are good towels, better than those fancy "kitchen" towels. 

Shirt scraps were always used for Armor All on tires and inside cars and stuff, but the nicer towels were used for other things. 

You mean you washed and re-used those rags?

I toss mine out.

Of course, I'm just one person, and not a messy sort of person, and so the need for rags for cleaning up is pretty minimal.

I can't remember if the maternal ancestress re-used rags.

I do know that my younger brother and I oftentimes made bucks off of rags, selling them to the twice-weekly local newspaper at so much per pound; they used them on the printing presses or something.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 08:48:04 PM »
Frank,

You mean you washed and re-used those rags?

I toss mine out.

Of course, I'm just one person, and not a messy sort of person, and so the need for rags for cleaning up is pretty minimal.

I can't remember if the maternal ancestress re-used rags.

I do know that my younger brother and I oftentimes made bucks off of rags, selling them to the twice-weekly local newspaper at so much per pound; they used them on the printing presses or something.

We're talking about those plain white towels right?  Those yes, they're washable.

But if she was talking about the blue "paper" towel shop towels, then no, those are throw away.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:50:57 PM »
Frank,

Real shop towels are great -- they last forever and don't shed threads like torn garments do.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »

We're talking about those plain white towels right?  Those yes, they're washable.

But if she was talking about the blue "paper" towel shop towels, then no, those are throw away.

My dad owned a gas station -- we used to get the red ones.  Man, were they great.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »

My dad owned a gas station -- we used to get the red ones.  Man, were they great.

I still have some of the white ones.  They're great for dusting and generic cleaning around the house. 
Stink Eye