Author Topic: primitives attack tomatoes; impeachment primitives try to hijack the topic  (Read 751 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3427320

Oh my.

I haven't looked around long enough to notice; has anyone noticed if the impeachment primitives are doing this all over Skins's island, interrupting bonfires to promote something that isn't going to happen?

Assholes.  Rectal apertures, hijacking campfires like that.

LeftHander  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 09:07 AM
Original message

Attack of the shitty tomatoes is BOGUS....

FROM THE CDC:

Every year, approximately 40,000 cases of salmonellosis are reported in the United States. Because many milder cases are not diagnosed or reported, the actual number of infections may be thirty or more times greater. Salmonellosis is more common in the summer than winter.

167 cases in over a dozen states does not warrent this mass hysteria.

groovedaddy  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 09:08 AM
Response to Original message

1. Home grown are the best any way...I try to keep the shit off them!

Hmmm.  franksolich has never had any problems with the tomatoes grown on the William Rivers Pitt.

NNN0LHI  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 09:17 AM
Response to Reply #1

5. That only leaves a window of a few weeks when they come in season around here

When that occurs I can get all I want for ten cents a pound.

groovedaddy  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 11:08 AM
Response to Reply #5

17. We have them for a few months - the rest of the time? Tough shit!

raccoon  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 09:09 AM

2. The "news media" has to create mass hysteria about something.

annabanana  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 09:11 AM

3. It uses up time... better tomatoes than 70 court cases against big companies

that stole 73 Billion dollars from us in Iraq.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7444083.stm

Or the Articles of Impeachment
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/11/kucinich.impeach /
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20...
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/06/congres...

KharmaTrain  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 09:12 AM

4. More Speculation On The Way...

That's the next big "bubble" that the "investor class" (big banks) are gonna make a killing on...the agricultural sector. Almost all prices are soaring due to a combination of high production costs and bad weather. Any scare, any bad news and the prices go up and those who have hedged or gambled take their profits. Unlike housing or oil...you rarely hear about the price of a bushel of corn or tomatoes...but that's where the big money is banking on.

Yep, it is mass hysteria invoked to spike produce and commodity prices. It's just incredible we have a government that stands by as the most important items people in this country need...food and fuel...are manipulated like puppets and nero sits in his bubbleland fiddling away.

Summer93  Donating Member  (374 posts) Wed Jun-11-08 09:22 AM

6. Agree

There is a need in the news readers, a need for a crisis to divert the masses away from what is happening. Perhaps the fact that Kucinich is enunciating the articles of impeachment against Bush and they don't want people to tune in to it.

lpbk2713  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 09:23 AM

7. Florida and California commercially grown tomatoes are said to be OK.

Link: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D917I0D80....

"On Tuesday, federal authorities cleared fresh tomatoes being harvested in Florida and all those grown in California -- the nation's top two tomato-producing states -- of responsibility in the national food poisoning scare, which has sickened 167 people since April."

Agriculture officials still aren't sure where the salmonella came from but imports from Mexico were halted as a precaution.

Mojorabbit  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 09:29 AM

8. It is not that it is salmonella

it is the strain that they are worried about. It is an especially nasty one.

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 09:38 AM

10. Exactly. The best way to avoid it, though, is to cook your food when you're not sure of the country of origin.

Asia, especially, has a practice of putting fresh "night soil" on their crops, meaning that fruits and vegetables grown there will be more likely to carry pathogens.

In addition, the pathogen can be carried by bird droppings.

It's not a new problem and this isn't a massive outbreak. Just know your symptoms and realize the risk.

Clark2008  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 09:50 AM
Response to Reply #10

11. Cooked tomatoes just aren't as good as fresh, though.

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 10:40 AM
Response to Reply #11

13. Commercial tomatoes just plain suck so the only time I use tomatoes fresh and raw is in summer, when local growers ripen them on the vine and they're at the peak of flavor.

The rest of the year, it's Muir Glen canned tomatoes, used in slaws and a few salads that call for peeled and seeded tomatoes.

Steve_DeShazer  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 10:20 AM

12. 35 Articles of Impeachment are read into the congressional record, and...

...we get nothing but the Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 10:42 AM
Response to Reply #12

14. If you'd bothered to read the whole board you'd see we have both.

More people are affected by the loss of tomatoes in the local supermarket than are by the reading of the articles of impeachment, a reading that is going to go nowhere for the time being.

Or go nowhere any time.

bbgrunt  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 10:52 AM

16. In this particular case I have noticed that no one is talking about whether the salmonella is on the outside or inside of the tomatoes. If it is on the outside it would seem that careful washing would alleviate the problem. If it is on the inside, cooking the tomatoes would seem to correct the problem. But no information on this is in the corporate media. Nor have they discovered even one tomato that is a carrier of this infection. Nor have they given any explanation HOW salmonella might be inside a tomato.

So I have a lot of questions about the legitimacy of this whole episode.

LeftHander  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 11:19 AM
Response to Reply #16

18. No one is talking how COMMON it is...and that this is a stupid distraction that has taken tomatoes off the shelf needlessly.

I mean please. Man with terminal cancer dies. Was infected with salmonella.

(but cancer still killed him) But news reports the tomato killed him.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jukin

Yep, it is mass hysteria invoked to spike produce and commodity prices. It's just incredible we have a government that stands by as the most important items people in this country need...food and fuel...are manipulated like puppets and nero sits in his bubbleland fiddling away.

I hate to agree with the DUmbass but the government is just not standing by but actively hurting the people by not allowing drilling at home raising the price of fuel and forcing biofuel solutions to raise the price of food.

Good thing we voted for change in 2006!!!1111!!!!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.