Author Topic: boring primitive wants to disable brakes on motor vehicle  (Read 1069 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
boring primitive wants to disable brakes on motor vehicle
« on: June 10, 2008, 09:22:51 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=310x894

Oh my.

TheBorealAvenger  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Jun-06-08 08:21 PM
Original message

Do you advise deactivating the antilock braking system?

I got an ABS error lamp a few days before when I had another braking problem (both rear cylinders worn out and seized). The car is a 2000 Ford Windstar with 100,000 miles.

I am going to pay for the wheel/brake repair and have the ABS diagnostic test done. When I heard that the "Module" would cost $800, I was thinking of telling the dealer to just "pull the fuse" or whatever it takes to totally disable the ABS system. I almost never use ABS. I hear it kick on a few times per year. If I had a choice in a new car, I would probably pass on the feature. The car seems to be getting to the end of its useful life. If it blows a head gasket, I will scrap it and get another car. However, I might drive it for another four years if it keeps running. That's how long I drove my last car.

So, is "pulling the fuse" to disable ABS a good idea or a bad idea? I am sure the dealer will pressure me to do the repair, but it is not his decision.

JVS  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-08-08 02:45 PM
Response to Original message

1. Ooohhh, that's a toughie. I don't think i'd do it and here is why.

ABS works by locking the breaks first and then pumping them automatically. If you have a switch with which to turn it off, that would probably disable it safely, but I'm not sure that just cutting the circuit would necessarily keep whatever it is that locks the breaks in the first place from functioning. You can imagine how dangerous a situation might arise. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. hopefully someone who has owned and dealt with ABS braking will show up.

jimmil  Donating Member  (49 posts) Mon Jun-09-08 11:20 AM

2. Just pull the fuse.

ABS works by looking at the speed sensors located in each wheel assembly. The sensor is a magnet and works via magnetic induction that generates a low voltage pulse when the teeth of a notched ring pass by it. It looks like a gear with several teeth and the sensor detects the teeth as the wheel turns. If the computer detects different pulse rates being generated it will relieve the pressure in the opposite brake line. Traction control works the same by adding braking to the wheels that are turning faster than the others. The problem could be something as easy as one of the sensors going bad or the module itself. Checking each sensor can be done with a scan tool or a multimeter to verify that the sine wave pulses are being generated by the sensor. Sensors are not terribly expensive with dealer cost somewhere in the $150.00 range. You can get them at a lower cost through Autozone, NAPA, etc.

Pulling the fuse will only disable the anti locking feature of the brake system. It does not effect the pressure in the brake lines when the brake pedal is depressed. You will still have the brakes, only they won't be able to be modulated once the fuse is pulled. Where you will notice the difference is in wet weather conditions or snow. It is rather doubtful you will notice it in dry conditions.

jayfish  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-09-08 05:11 PM

3. What A Conikydink

My wife's 2000 Crapstar is having the same issue. If you are going to continue to drive that van without fixing the problem, definitely pull the fuse. They have a tendency to falsely activate the ABS system if any of the speed sensors or control module are faulty. When this happens (especially on dry pavement) it is terrifyingly unfun. The ABS will activate, the pedal will go rock hard and you will be hard pressed to stop the van. This happens at 5mph and under. Another BS part about this is that you cannot replace the module yourself because the settings from the old unit need to be flashed to the new unit.

...oh, and these are the biggest POS's I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

ON EDIT: As jimmil said above, unless the normal red brake warning light activated, the braking system will function just fine with the ABS system deactivated.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline MrsSmith

Re: boring primitive wants to disable brakes on motor vehicle
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:59:53 AM »
Personally, this confirms my thoughts about primitive drivers...a car with 100,000 on it has braking problems that severe?  He hears the ABS kick on a few times per year?   :o  Most of my vehicles have gone way, way past 100,000 miles without any severe brake problems, especially with rear brakes.  I have actually used the ABS on one car, one time...when I hit the deer last fall.  It is just not very common to lock up your brakes.  I don't know where TBA lives, but I hope he/she/it definitely considers my area "fly-over country."   :o

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 11:29:20 AM »
I wouldn't deactivate ABS.  I hear it kick on a few times a year.  It's one of those safety features that's best left alone, like air bags. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:35:54 AM »
Just pull the fuse...what an idiot.

What else is connected to that same fuse?

A dealership can't disable it in the first place. The DUmmie would get in a wreck and then hire John Edwards....

If the ABS light is on, the ABS is not working in the first place, no need to pull anything...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 02:01:05 PM »
Disabling the ABS is "definitely" not a good idea....ABS is one of those things that you never really think that you need until you REALLY need it!.  Further, some modern vehicles are "certified" by DOT with ABS being a part of the process, for reasons of design, and they do not meet federal safety standards with the ABS disabled......pickup trucks come to mind as a family of vehicles that will not meet the standards without operational ABS (at least on the rear wheels).

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:07:17 PM »
I may be in the minority here and my opinion has nothing to do with the subject of the thread but I am not an ABS fan being in the northeast for now.

Up here people need to know how to brake on slippery roads and ABS is another way of dumbing down driving skills.
It may be fine in theory but what happens if it doesn`t work the moment you need it and the driver has no idea or learned reaction to "pump" the brakes to achieve the same result.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:15:28 PM »
Heck , why even bother pulling the fuse. Just put a bit of tape over the light. Problem solved.  :-)