Author Topic: Why is McCain getting $58,000 a year in disability income?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
bushmeat  (1000+ posts)       Sun Jun-08-08 12:44 PM
Original message
Why is McCain getting $58,000 a year in disability income? 
 Advertisements [?]Edited on Sun Jun-08-08 12:56 PM by bushmeat
americablog.com

First off, I find it fascinating that John McCain, who is refusing to vote for the GI Bill for our troops because "it's too generous," is himself getting $58,000 a year, tax-free, from the US government for his military service. Had McCain been getting that amount every year since Vietnam, that would total $2,000,000 for the man who isn't into overgenerous government. I just find that interesting.

His staff responded with the classic "he was tortured for his country." Yeah, we get it. The torture card. It's to McCain what 9/11 was to Giuliani's candidacy - the never-ending name-drop. Though what McCain's staff actually said was downright, um, we're being nice to Clinton now, so I won't say Clintonian. Here's the quote:

McCain campaign strategist Mark Salter said Monday night that McCain was technically disabled. "Tortured for his country -- that is how he acquired his disability," Salter said.

Technically? What does that mean? Usually, it means that under the strict reading of the law, you're covered, but in fact it's kind of a nudge-nudge-wink-wink situation - that's what "technically" means. It's called parsing, which is something you do to "technically" claim something is true, when on its face it really isn't. So is McCain "technically" disabled, and taking $58,000 a year tax free from the government, or is he actually disabled? I would imagine there are other solders who are actually disabled who could use the money. And if he is actually disabled, just how disabled is he?

~snip~

http://www.americablog.com/2008/06/why-is-mccain-gettin...

CountAllVotes  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jun-08-08 01:02 PM
Response to Reply #9
11. my question is this:
 Edited on Sun Jun-08-08 01:04 PM by CountAllVotes
how can McCain do the job of a PRESIDENT if he is 100% disabled? This means that he cannot do anything supposedly. 100% 100% 100% ... maybe someone should check HIM OUT and see how true this is. If he is well enough to be running all over the world how does it fit that he is 100% disabled is what I'd like to know!!! 

link

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Why is McCain getting $58,000 a year in disability income?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »
CountAllVotes  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jun-08-08 01:02 PM
Response to Reply #9
11. my question is this:
CountAllVotes
how can McCain do the job of a PRESIDENT if he is 100% disabled? This means that he cannot do anything supposedly. 100% 100% 100% ... maybe someone should check HIM OUT and see how true this is. If he is well enough to be running all over the world how does it fit that he is 100% disabled is what I'd like to know!!!

Damn, for a minute there I thought you were referring to FDR.  :uhsure:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 12:29:33 PM »
this is like the third time that this has flared up.

he can't lift his arm over his shoulder because the viet cong broke it a couple of times when
he was a POW.  and he can't walk normally.  why they want to make an issue of this is beyond
me.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 12:38:35 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »
They hate anyone that has served unless those samepeople have gone awol or deserted or fragged thier chain of command. Otherwise it's open season. Let those cowards take a 7 year turn in a VC prison and then come back and ask that question.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:46:04 PM »
bamalib  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jun-08-08 01:19 PM
Response to Reply #10
30. You obviously have never served in the military.  If you had you would know that military does not classify disability the same way it is done with civilians. You are rated based on your ability to do military occupations. That is a far different standard that civilian occupations. The same standard is used whether you are injured in Iraq or Vietnam.

Nooo!  McCain is a fraud!!  Noooooo!!

These idiots really don't want to make this an issue.  It will not go well for them.  I remember the same thing came up about Bob Dole, but it wasn't brought up seriously at the time, more of a human interest story about his WWII service.  When I was at Ford, a guy I worked with had a 50% disability payment from the Army.  He was a tank driver and had sustained some injury to his eyes that had damaged his vision. 

I guess chimps aren't smarter.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 01:43:48 PM »
Better question:  Why is Barbra Streisand on Medicare?

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 01:52:11 PM »
bamalib  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jun-08-08 01:19 PM
Response to Reply #10
30. You obviously have never served in the military.  If you had you would know that military does not classify disability the same way it is done with civilians. You are rated based on your ability to do military occupations. That is a far different standard that civilian occupations. The same standard is used whether you are injured in Iraq or Vietnam.

Nooo!  McCain is a fraud!!  Noooooo!!

These idiots really don't want to make this an issue.  It will not go well for them.  I remember the same thing came up about Bob Dole, but it wasn't brought up seriously at the time, more of a human interest story about his WWII service.  When I was at Ford, a guy I worked with had a 50% disability payment from the Army.  He was a tank driver and had sustained some injury to his eyes that had damaged his vision. 

I guess chimps aren't smarter.

I wouldn't expect this to actually become an issue except with a few posters on DU.  This isn't an issue period. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 08:14:53 PM »
The Primitives are complaining that McCain is using the "torture card" when every other word out of Kery's mouth was about his short stay in nam  :whatever:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline jendf

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 08:31:41 PM »
Torturing of John McCain = no big deal
Torturing of known Islamic terrorists at Gitmo = biggest scandal ever

Their high and mighty stance on torture just got a little confusing for me.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »

Like everything else in DUmmythink it is based on relativism.

Terrorist that wants to destroy western capitalism=good.

Man who endured real torture at the hands of Communists=bad.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 08:46:21 PM »
Original message

Because after what the NVA did to him in the Hanoi Hilton....he's due every damn penny of it.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline djones520

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 08:48:27 PM »
Original message

Because after what the NVA did to him in the Hanoi Hilton....he's due every damn penny of it.

What I think their upset about is that even though the government is giving him this money, he's still working, and making a living through other means.

Dummies can't grasp that concept.  He recieves government hand out, and then doesn't sit at home smoking pot and eating cheeto's.  The concept is foreign to them and the unfamiliar angers and scares them.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
Go ahead, raise your hands above your head if you object to John McCain’s disability pension. John McCain can’t do the same, thanks to the damage inflicted by Vietnamese torturers in Hanoi. He has constant pain in his knee and his back as well, significantly limiting his mobility. However, unless the Presidency requires a successful completion of an obstacle course every day, the Los Angeles Times’ questioning of his physical fitness for office seems ludicrous:
   http://hotair.com/archives/2008/04/22/john-mccains-disability-pay-raise-your-hands-if-you-object/

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »
Guess my point earlier was lost on people. Franklin Delano Roosevelt, a Democrat, was disabled and in a f'n wheelchair, yet those fools hold him up on a pedestal.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline djones520

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 09:01:48 PM »
Guess my point earlier was lost on people. Franklin Delano Roosevelt, a Democrat, was disabled and in a f'n wheelchair, yet those fools hold him up on a pedestal.

No, it wasn't missed.  But you gotta tell it to the Dummies.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 09:31:15 PM »

I think we got it.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 09:39:06 PM »

I think we got it.

Thanks for the snide comment.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »
Actually, I think most of us did get it.  JFK wasn't in the best shape, either...but most standards apply ONLY to Repukes, you know.  :mental:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »

Like everything else in DUmmythink it is based on relativism.

Terrorist that wants to destroy western capitalism=good.

Man who endured real torture at the hands of Communists=bad.

Lying coward who got an owie and then noodged everyone in sight to get a purple heart=hero.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline stickyboot

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 12:53:23 AM »
Original message

Amen!

Offline Zeus

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 02:42:55 AM »
Considering Mcains pay grade & Time in Service at retirement $58K/yr in disability indicates his disability rating is not 100%. Also Military disability payments are more about loss of mobility and/or function and less about employability. Thats not even considering wether The Americans with disability act work place accomadation should apply to all disabled folks or just a select few.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.