Author Topic: $kimmer speaks  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
$kimmer speaks
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »
Listen up sheeple...YOU WILL COMPLY.... :evillaugh:

Skinner ADMIN  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jun-05-08 12:20 PM
Original message
The primary infighting on DU ends at 12 noon ET on Wednesday, June 11. 
 Now that it has become apparent that Senator Clinton will leave the presidential race, the primary infighting here on Democratic Underground will end at 12:00 noon ET on Wednesday, June 11. As promised, this gives all of you seven days to prepare yourself for the end of the primary season, and the beginning of the general election:

We understand that not everyone will be prepared to immediately put the primaries behind us. There will be some jerks on the winning side who insist on gloating. And there will be some sore losers on the other side who will want to keep attacking the nominee. Once we have a presumptive nominee, those people will have one week to get it out of their systems. We believe that a one-week transitional period is more than fair for those of you who cannot switch gears easily or quickly. After this week-long adjustment period, we're done.

At that point, the moderators and admins will step in and shut down the primary infighting. The vast majority of people on this site will be glad to be done with the primaries. Sadly, a very small number of bitter partisans will not be able to let it go, and will likely be removed from this community. Few people will miss them when they are gone.

The General Discussion: Primaries forum will be re-named and re-purposed to host discussions about the upcoming presidential election between Senator Obama and Senator McCain.

David Allen
DU Administrator

.....and then.

...and the inevitable ass kissing post.

Radio_Lady  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jun-05-08 02:12 PM
Response to Original message
35. Hi Skinner. Thanks for this great website. I'm thrilled to be a part of it and it has helped me
 Edited on Thu Jun-05-08 02:15 PM by Radio_Lady
on every level.

You have done a good thing and you and all the other administrators and moderators should be especially proud of yourselves. Of course, I've complimented people openly here on the DU and found that.... um... it's better to do that via PM. That would take hours. So, you know who you are! Keep on truckin'!

Warm regards,

Radio Lady Ellen Kimball
d/b/a Accessible Media Services, Portland, Oregon

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:08:31 PM by Bondai »

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: $kimmer speaks
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:48:06 AM »
 :rotf: :tongue: :rotf: :tongue: This election year is going to be fun.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 11:49:28 AM »

I wonder if $kimmer will only allow his minions to express themselves three times a day in the general election forum, too.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 11:52:46 AM »

Yawoll, mein Führer!  Seig Heil!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:58:56 AM »

And I notice Sheets Byrd has already turned out the masses in support of the new doctrine.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 01:53:14 PM »
At that point, the moderators and admins will step in and shut down the primary infighting. The vast majority of people on this site will be glad to be done with the primaries. Sadly, a very small number of bitter partisans will not be able to let it go, and will likely be removed from this community. Few people will miss them when they are gone.

Which means that you'll remove anyone who doesn't fall lockstep behind Obama.  Requiring fealty to one candidate or another is not the way to run a discussion board, you ninny. :banghead:
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Skins lays down the law to the primitives
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 01:02:43 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x6344459

Okay, it's June 11, and the primaries forum no longer is, having been replaced by another forum.

Skinner  ADMIN Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 01:33 PM
Original message

Welcome to the General Election. So, what does this mean for Democratic Underground?   

Now that the Democratic presidential primaries are over, and the seven-day transitional period here on DU has passed, it's time to start looking forward to the General Election between Barack Obama and John McCain.

I think the switch to General Election mode has gone better than expected so far, and I honestly believe that the vast majority of visitors to this website have not had any difficulty moving forward and coming together to support our presidential nominee. Indeed, most of the people who were very active in the heated primary discussions of the past six to nine months have already made great efforts to rebuild the bridges they burned during that time. I'm very glad to see this - but not entirely surprised, considering that the differences between Senator Obama and Senator McCain are so vast and so glaringly obvious.

Unfortunately, there will be a very small number of people on both sides of the former Obama-Clinton divide who want to keep fighting the primaries. I know from previous experience that some of these people will not be able to let it go for years, and may never fully come to terms with what has happened. Hopefully these people will be able to find solace elsewhere because as of today there is no place on DU for those who seem committed to a never-ending rehash of the 2008 Democratic primaries.

If you are wondering what will be permitted here from now on, here is a short excerpt from our rules:

Constructive criticism of Democrats or the Democratic Party is permitted. When doing so, please keep in mind that most of our members come to this website in order to get a break from the constant attacks in the media against our candidates and our values. Highly inflammatory or divisive attacks that echo the tone or substance of our political opponents are not welcome here.

You are not permitted to use this message board to work for the defeat of the Democratic Party nominee for any political office. If you wish to work for the defeat of any Democratic candidate in any General Election, then you are welcome to use someone else's bandwidth on some other website.

That pretty much covers everything you need to know...

* Constructive criticism of Democrats or the Democratic Party: Permitted.
* Highly inflammatory or divisive attacks against Democrats: Not permitted.
* Using this message board to work for the defeat of any Democratic Party nominee for any political office: Not permitted.

If you follow those rules, you'll be just fine. If you try to find a way around those rules, you take your chances with the moderators. It's that simple.

SO, WHAT DOES THAT ALL REALLY MEAN?

It is really easy to tell you what is permitted and what is not but in practice it is often very difficult to enforce the guidelines that we set, and that is particularly true in this case. We want to make DU a more civil and unified community where members can support the Democratic nominee, but we do not want to go overboard and disallow honest and open discussion of certain issues. This means that we can rarely draw a bright line and say "Do not cross."

With this in mind, here are a few issues to consider:

Now that Senator Obama is our presumptive nominee, he holds a special position in the party, and on Democratic Underground. Barack Obama is now the only person on the planet who can stop John McCain and finally put an end to the disastrous policies of the Bush Administration. You don't have to love the guy. Heck, you don't even have to particularly like him. But if you act like you want him to lose in November we're not going to cut you a great deal of slack.

You're still allowed to criticize Democrats. And you're even allowed to criticize Barack Obama. But if your criticism smells like a partisan political attack designed to tear down our candidates and help our Republican opponents, we're likely to conclude that it is.

Believing or spreading certain right-wing smears about Senator Obama or Michelle Obama could earn you an immediate tombstone. Ignorance is not an excuse -- everyone on Democratic Underground should know better on this stuff. Some examples: The suggestion that Senator Obama is a Muslim; xeonophobic use of his middle name; spreading rumors about secret videotapes with racist rants. If you're acting like a Freeper or a "concern troll," we'll assume that you are one.

You may not post threats to vote third party, to vote McCain, to not vote, or to write-in a Democrat other than Barack Obama. As in 2004, we will permit some room for sincere expressions of ambivalence toward voting for the Democratic nominee. But we're not going to permit this website to be used for much beyond that. If it looks like you are trying to get people to withhold their votes from Senator Obama, then we're likely to conclude that that is your intent.

No more attacks against people based on the candidate they supported during the primaries. There are no more Clinton supporters, Edwards supporters, or Kucinich supporters on Democratic Underground -- at least not in the sense of supporting their candidacy for president. We are Democrats, and our opponents are John McCain and the Republican Party. So starting threads to attack Clinton supporters or Edwards supporters or Kucinich supporters makes no sense, and it is also counter-productive. Similarly, starting threads to attack Obama supporters would be pretty foolish and nonsensical.

No gratuitous rehashing of the primary fighting. We can't possibly give specific instructions about what is permitted or what is not. The Democratic presidential primary is recent history, and still very fresh in all of our minds, so it is inevitable that there will continue to be a number of discussions on Democratic Underground about it. But if you seem to be discussing the primary in order to inflame or divide our members, we will assume that that is your intent. This goes for people on BOTH SIDES of the former Clinton-Obama divide.

Don't trash the moderators. You all should know how this works by now. If you want the moderators to consider taking action on a post, the first thing you need to do is alert on it. No alert, no action. But more importantly, take a moment right now to re-familiarize yourself with the idea that the moderators are not always going to do your bidding. They arrive at decisions by consensus, and their collaborative process will not always produce the result you desire. If you believe they have truly screwed up then the proper procedure is to send a message to an administrator to see if you can get the decision overturned. Messages that don't contain threats or long passages all in capital letters are more likely to receive a positive hearing, but I'll be honest - in most cases you shouldn't be surprised if the administrator sides with the moderators' decision. What you should absolutely NOT do is start spamming the moderators with rude alerts or private messages, or start threads to slam them publicly. We have, and always will, take a very dim view of this kind of activity.

Have realistic expectations. This is a very active discussion forum filled with passionate, opinionated people. As such, there will always be plenty of robust disagreement. If you're expecting that from now on everyone will always agree with you, or that everyone will always say nice things about Democratic public figures you like -- particularly public figures who have always been controversial here -- then your expectations are not realistic.

I think the vast majority of DUers are relieved to have the Democratic primaries behind us, and are excited about the General Election contest ahead. It's time to look forward, not backward, and we hope that everyone here will do what is necessary to help unify our community, and help win the election in the fall.

babylonsister  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 01:39 PM

7. Thanks, Skinner. Can you let us know if there will be a post limitin this GD/P?

I'm fired up for this election season, and happy to be sharing it all with DU.

Skinner  ADMIN Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 01:46 PM
Response to Reply #7

24. The three-thread limit is gone.   

There is no limit. Hopefully we can keep it that way.

MH1  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 01:43 PM

14. One question: behavior in DU Groups.

Recently I started checking out some of the "candidate supporter groups", because frankly I am puzzled by some of the things that were being posted in the old GDP (wanting to believe that certain posters are NOT trolls).

I stumbled across some behavior in one of the groups that I thought was pretty awful - stuff that (I thought) would have been deleted in GDP.

Will the new rules also extend to the candidate "supporter" groups? (The quotes are because all of the major candidates have themselves actually endorsed Obama, so their "supporters" are really no longer supporting that person, imo.)

Thanks for your efforts to keep this site a positive for electing Democrats.

Skinner  ADMIN Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jun-11-08 01:49 PM
Response to Reply #14

29. Good question.

My post is relevant to the entire website -- not just to this forum. At this point I'm not sure what we're going to do with the supporters' groups. Hopefully they will not be a problem. But I suspect we may need to swing through and clean out some stuff to get them back on the right track.

You know, while reading this, I had a "vision," letting the mind and imagination flow freely and randomly, forming pictures in the mind from the words.

I had a "vision" of my fellow alum Skins at his table-tennis-sized 100% pure oak-and-walnut executive desk, hunched over from his 6' tall padded-and-armed executive chair, devising this policy with pen-and-paper.

And at the open doorway to his vast spacious office, unseen by my fellow alum, something tall and grey and foreboding and shrouded; the looming Apparition of Unanticipated Consequences.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: Skins lays down the law to the primitives
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 01:14:49 PM »
Shouldn't they have waited until AFTER the convention to move to general election mode?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »
bump.

for comparison to Skinner's newest edict from the ReichsChancellory.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 01:16:54 PM »
Quote from:
Skinner

... keep in mind that most of our members come to this website in order to get a break from the constant attacks in the media against our candidates and our values.

The media consistently upholds your candidates and your values.  You're out of your mind if you don't know this.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »
Skinner

... keep in mind that most of our members come to this website in order to get a break from the constant attacks in the media against our candidates and our values.

He's kidding right?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »
I've known him to be delusional.  But never a kidder.

Offline jukin

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 03:59:17 PM »
Commissar Skinner has spoken!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 04:06:46 PM »
Commissar Skinner has spoken!

So let it be written... So let it be done.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »
At that point, the moderators and admins will step in and shut down the primary infighting. The vast majority of people on this site will be glad to be done with the primaries. Sadly, a very small number of bitter partisans will not be able to let it go, and will likely be removed from this community. Few people will miss them when they are gone
Who do you think will be the first to get the granite for breaking this rule? :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 04:47:53 PM »
Who do you think will be the first to get the granite for breaking this rule? :-)

I suspect Team Skinner is capable of compiling a datasheet based on the Ignore lists of well known Obamatons. I also suspect the highest scoring folks will be converted to web-based fertilizer within 24 hours.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 05:43:39 PM »
Skinner

A lack of morals and ethics does not equal values.  You would have dig long and hard at teh dump to find any values at all.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 06:43:31 PM »

Which means that you'll remove anyone who doesn't fall lockstep behind Obama.  Requiring fealty to one candidate or another is not the way to run a discussion board, you ninny. :banghead:

Well, we have this:

You may not post threats to vote third party, to vote McCain, to not vote, or to write-in a Democrat other than Barack Obama. As in 2004, we will permit some room for sincere expressions of ambivalence toward voting for the Democratic nominee. But we're not going to permit this website to be used for much beyond that. If it looks like you are trying to get people to withhold their votes from Senator Obama, then we're likely to conclude that that is your intent.

There you go.  Dissent will not be tolerated.  Even FR allows people to say they won't back McCain.

Offline ReaganGirl

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 07:52:04 AM »
I'm loving that you can't say you won'tvote. Der Skinner's trying to get the voting turnout up to 100 percent, like they used to do in the ol' USSR, where they had one candidate to pick from, too.

Kinda brings a tear to your eye to think the commies are back!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:53:48 AM by ReaganGirl »

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 12:09:12 PM »

Well, we have this:

There you go.  Dissent will not be tolerated.  Even FR allows people to say they won't back McCain.

It's nonsense.  This is America.  That means that people have the right to support or oppose any candidate they think best fits their ideas, along with the privelege (some may say responsibilty) to clearly state why.  The fact that they won't let people speak their minds if they have reservations about a particular candidate is frightening, but even moreso is the fact that Skinner couldn't get away with this rule if his membership wasn't allowing him.  In the end, they have the ultimate power.  If they don't like the rule, there have to be hundreds of thousands of other liberal websites and blogs out there, or they could follow the CC model and their "best and brightest" ( :rotf:) could form an entirely new site.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 12:11:52 PM »
It's nonsense...

Duh. 

It's coming from the DUmpster.  Therefore it is, by it's very nature, nonsense.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »
It's nonsense...

Duh. 

It's coming from the DUmpster.  Therefore it is, by it's very nature, nonsense.

But of course.

Martin Luther