Author Topic: so.....I ordered.....  (Read 11570 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
so.....I ordered.....
« on: January 20, 2017, 05:14:59 PM »
So.....I ordered and received a Samsung DVD-C500 DVD Player from the local telephone company today.  It's a stand-alone unit; I hadn't really paid attention, and was hoping it was just one of those things one slipped into the DVD player inside the Dell tower of the computer.

But never mind; I'll adjust.  I'd told the guy what I wanted--"something" with which one can play DVDs from Europe, most particularly the second-greatest movie ever made, La Revolution francaise, and left it at that.  When I give really vague instructions I accept that it might not necessarily conform with my expectations, so it's all copacetic.

He charged me $68 for this, which included shipping and handling.

It has its own power cord, three cables, and a remote control.

I haven't read the manual yet, as I don't plan on setting it up for a few days; I had a really bad, a really lousy, a really exasperating day (obviously, as I'm not with the Illuminati of conservativecave down in Lincoln right now), and am in no mood to do anything complicated.

But anyway, speculate for me--is this going to be a hassle or not, to set up?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline freedumb2003b

Re: so.....I ordered.....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »
What are these DVDs of which you speak so casually?
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »
What are these DVDs of which you speak so casually?

They're from a "region" different than North America.  I don't recall exactly, but there's five or six or seven different "regions" for DVDs, and a DVD from one works only in the player designed for that region.

It's all Greek to me; this is what I understand from.....Wikipedia.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »
Ooops, I majorly screwed up.  My fault, and I admit it.

This is not something that can be connected to a computer; it can be connected only to a television.

So on Monday I'll go to town and discuss appropriate televisions, as I don't want to bother with the hassle of returning something I already bought and paid for.

I'll live; it's not the end of the world.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 09:12:27 PM »
Even though the DVD player had been a special order, not regular stock, the local telephone company offered to take it back and refund my money, but as it was my negligent mistake in not checking things out more, I said no.  I'll just unload this DVD player for television only on someone who can use it.

In my mind, I'd never connected "DVD" and "television."  I connect "VHS" with "television" and "DVD" with "personal computer."  I haven't owned or used a television for only God knows how many years, decades.  I had not the foggiest idea they're used in televisions.

I mean, sure my friends and their families all have televisions and I see them all the time.....but I pay about as much attention to them (televisions) as I do to a box of toothpicks sitting on a kitchen counter.  Television's just not anything that excites my interest.

Anyway.

I was told there are three different options available for what I want--the ability to play European-made DVDs on my computer.  I "caught" only half of one and none at all of another, but did "get" that some sort of computer software can be installed directly into the tower of the personal computer.  I'm to take the tower in the next couple of weeks or so, to get that done, and the technician there said there'd be no charge.

Now, ask me why I prefer to buy stuff from small places rather than big discount merchandisers. 
apres moi, le deluge