Interests > Christian Fellowship

Why I Want to Be Left Behind

(1/4) > >>

BlueStateSaint:
With the arrival of the Nicholas Cage movie (I've seen some pretty bad reviews for it), this topic was bound to be raised.  Yeah, I know it's old, but I just got it in an email yesterday.

--- Quote --- Why I Want to Be Left Behind

BY JOSHUA RYAN BUTLER , CP GUEST CONTRIBUTOR
September 22, 2014|3:15 pm

"Left Behind" comes out this week, an apocalyptic thriller starring Nicolas Cage. Based on the best-selling book series, the movie revolves around "the rapture": a belief that one day all Christians will suddenly vanish, disappearing from the earth to go be with God, while the world they "left behind" plunges into apocalyptic destruction.

Americans may find "Left Behind" to be best-selling entertainment, but is it biblical? I say no. In fact, as a follower of Jesus I find the rapture to be not just a little bit off, but actually upside-down and backwards.

When Jesus comes, here are a few reasons why I want to be left behind.

A Recent Invention

The rapture is new to the Christian scene. It arose in the late 1800's, when Margaret MacDonald, a fifteen-year-old Scottish girl, claimed to have it revealed to her in a vision. Her vision was then picked up and popularized by the famous British preacher J.N. Darby, during his extensive travels in America.

All love to the high school prom queen and traveling street preacher, but this is a suspiciously short track record for nearly 2000 years of Christian theology.
--- End quote ---

The piece goes on to list his reasoning.  It's interesting.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/why-i-want-to-be-left-behind-126835/

BattleHymn:
He seems to be hanging a lot of his eschatology on one English word, "taken".  I'm no Greek scholar, so I can't tell you what the original text said. 

He does seem to be cherry-picking his verses and avoiding others, which some in the comments section have already pointed out.  It's an interesting read nonetheless.   

Big Dog:
If you guys get raptured, can I have your stuff?

Dori:
Isn't it only Evangelicals that believe in the rapture?

freedumb2003b:

--- Quote from: Big Dog on October 04, 2014, 04:06:39 PM ---If you guys get raptured, can I have your stuff?

--- End quote ---

Did you ever see the movie "Skyline?"  It is "evil rapture."

I don't know why but I get a huge kick out of it.  I watch it from time to time and laugh my way through it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version