Author Topic: First Temple seal found in Jerusalem  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
First Temple seal found in Jerusalem
« on: January 17, 2008, 08:03:17 AM »
First Temple seal found in Jerusalem

A stone seal bearing the name of one of the families who acted as servants in the First Temple and then returned to Jerusalem after being exiled to Babylonia has been uncovered in an archeological excavation in Jerusalem's City of David, a prominent Israeli archeologist said Wednesday.

The 2,500-year-old black stone seal, which has the name "Temech" engraved on it, was found earlier this week amid stratified debris in the excavation under way just outside the Old City walls near the Dung Gate, said archeologist Dr. Eilat Mazar, who is leading the dig.

According to the Book of Nehemiah, the Temech family were servants of the First Temple and were sent into exile to Babylon following its destruction by the Babylonians in 586 BCE.

*snip*

"The seal of the Temech family gives us a direct connection between archeology and the biblical sources and serves as actual evidence of a family mentioned in the Bible," she said. "One cannot help being astonished by the credibility of the biblical source as seen by the archaeological find."

MORE
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: First Temple seal found in Jerusalem
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 08:06:52 AM »
But, but but the Bible is entirely fiction!!!11!!!!1111oneone eleven {/DUmmie mode}
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 08:35:37 AM »
That is an amazing find.  Too bad it will be explained away by desperate deniers as some sort of misinterpretation.     

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 08:45:06 AM »
This is an incredible find, however it's not needed for faith. Faith is independent of physical evidence, as it should be. But there is indeed something very affirming and exciting about finds like these, not to prove a thing, but to know today someone is touch something with such historical significance. BTW, this makes me think of Moses for some reason :-)--> :old:...a burning bush and the effect would be complete

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 11:12:15 AM »
This is an incredible find, however it's not needed for faith. Faith is independent of physical evidence, as it should be. But there is indeed something very affirming and exciting about finds like these, not to prove a thing, but to know today someone is touch something with such historical significance. BTW, this makes me think of Moses for some reason :-)--> :old:...a burning bush and the effect would be complete
Some of the cable channels were running programs before Christmas to try to explain things like the great flood, and how Moses "really" parted the waters.  The had a bunch of "scientists" who told us how it really happened.  They kept trying to use physics, geology, climatology, etc. but just couldn't acknoledge that none of those laws apply to God.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »
^ God giggles at things like that.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:20:46 AM »
Some of the cable channels were running programs before Christmas to try to explain things like the great flood, and how Moses "really" parted the waters.  The had a bunch of "scientists" who told us how it really happened.  They kept trying to use physics, geology, climatology, etc. but just couldn't acknoledge that none of those laws apply to God.   :whatever:

There are 2 camps on that: Some scientists who believe that there are no miracles, only unexplained phenomenon.  The rest (and most) of them acknowledge a God and miracles but, properly, know those cannot be a factor in any scientific explanation.  And there are a tiny percentage of nut cases who think miracles ARE science.  The scientific term for these people "idiots."

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 01:36:34 PM »
^ God giggles at things like that.
And this is God's version of putting a whoopi-cushion on the chair of rabid anti-theists.

BTW - this is going to drive the muzzies nuts. Bill Clinton himself said he felt duped when Yassar Arafat tried to convince him of a consiracy theory that claims the Jews never lived in Israel, they just doctored the OT to justify stealing Arab land. They get furious whenever archeologists try to excavate on the temple mount. They say it's because the sanctity of the Dome fo the Rock must be preserved but methinks it's more to do with the fact that should conclusive proof of an Israeli temple predating their usurpation by centuries ever be discovered it will undermine their claims of conquest.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:40:35 PM by Mr Snuggle Bunny »
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 02:50:54 PM »

Yep, I hear you lug. DU, their 'spiritual' section has particularly perplexed me. They are willing to suspend disbelief to light candles to summon good energy or to take heed of 'spirit guides'...geez, even a lot of athiests hire people to bring fung shei engery to their rooms...yet the idea that Jesus and all the history before him even existed, forget for a moment about the divinity of any of those figures, is too far fetched and a 'myth'.