Interests > Religious Discussions

Origins of the Koran questioned; for example, the 72 virgins are really raisins

<< < (3/4) > >>

FlaGator:

--- Quote from: djones520 on January 16, 2008, 01:52:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: FlaGator on January 15, 2008, 02:41:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: jinxmchue on January 15, 2008, 02:36:18 PM ---It's interesting to compare this with the Bible.  After 2000 years, what do the biblical skeptics have to show beyond their personal incredulity?  Not much.  No one 2000 years ago ever recorded that Jesus didn't actually exist or that he never rose from the grave (which would be easy to prove with his body in a guarded tomb).

--- End quote ---

There were rumors that are mentioned in the Gospels that the apostles stole the body in order to perpetuate the resurrection story and these stories have echoed through the centuries but there has been no proof (nor will there be) that the believers did anything of the sort.

--- End quote ---

About a 2 hour drive from where I am, is the grave of Jesus Christ.   A sect of Christians believe that Jesus did escape persecution, and that one of his brothers took his place on the cross.  Jesus then spent the next several years journying across Asia, eventually arriving BACK in Japan (they say he came here during his younger years and grew to love the place), where he married and had a family and eventually died at something like 102 years old.

--- End quote ---

Then, by definition of the Gospels, they are not a sect Christians but probably some form of Gnostics. The Gospels set out a very narrow definition of what it is to be a Christian. One of the main tenets is in having faith that Jesus died on the cross to cover our sins and was in fact resurrected on the third day. For this sect to believe otherwise is to deny the faith that Christ said was necessary for our salvation. I guess any one can call themselves a Christian but are they in fact truly Christian?

djones520:

--- Quote from: FlaGator on January 16, 2008, 06:23:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: djones520 on January 16, 2008, 01:52:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: FlaGator on January 15, 2008, 02:41:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: jinxmchue on January 15, 2008, 02:36:18 PM ---It's interesting to compare this with the Bible.  After 2000 years, what do the biblical skeptics have to show beyond their personal incredulity?  Not much.  No one 2000 years ago ever recorded that Jesus didn't actually exist or that he never rose from the grave (which would be easy to prove with his body in a guarded tomb).

--- End quote ---

There were rumors that are mentioned in the Gospels that the apostles stole the body in order to perpetuate the resurrection story and these stories have echoed through the centuries but there has been no proof (nor will there be) that the believers did anything of the sort.

--- End quote ---

About a 2 hour drive from where I am, is the grave of Jesus Christ.   A sect of Christians believe that Jesus did escape persecution, and that one of his brothers took his place on the cross.  Jesus then spent the next several years journying across Asia, eventually arriving BACK in Japan (they say he came here during his younger years and grew to love the place), where he married and had a family and eventually died at something like 102 years old.

--- End quote ---

Then, by definition of the Gospels, they are not a sect Christians but probably some form of Gnostics. The Gospels set out a very narrow definition of what it is to be a Christian. One of the main tenets is in having faith that Jesus died on the cross to cover our sins and was in fact resurrected on the third day. For this sect to believe otherwise is to deny the faith that Christ said was necessary for our salvation. I guess any one can call themselves a Christian but are they in fact truly Christian?

--- End quote ---

*shrugs*  I'm no theology major.  I just tell it how I hear it.  I might take a trip out there this summer though to see it before I leave.

FlaGator:
Theology is kind of a hobby with me.

Wretched Excess:

--- Quote from: FlaGator on January 16, 2008, 08:26:55 AM ---Theology is kind of a hobby with me.

--- End quote ---

as I said, I found this whole story to be fascinating.

and dead, disappointed terrorists who arrived in paradise (give me a little latitude on the afterlife thing :wink:) expecting 72 virgins, only to be granted a handful of raisins strikes me as freaking hilarious.  I think it's the look on their faces that does it for me. :-)

FlaGator:

--- Quote from: Wretched Excess on January 16, 2008, 09:02:38 AM ---
--- Quote from: FlaGator on January 16, 2008, 08:26:55 AM ---Theology is kind of a hobby with me.

--- End quote ---

as I said, I found this whole story to be fascinating.

and dead, disappointed terrorists who arrived in paradise (give me a little latitude on the afterlife thing :wink:) expecting 72 virgins, only to be granted a handful of raisins strikes me as freaking hilarious.  I think it's the look on their faces that does it for me. :-)

--- End quote ---

I picture the Mohammadens arriving in paradise and being greeted by the California Raisins singing "I Heard It Through the Grape Vine."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version