The Help Desk > Computer Related Discussions & Questions

Unwanted Text Messages

(1/3) > >>

jendf:
This isn't a computer-related question, but it is technology-related so I thought I would post it here.

What, if anything, can I do about unwanted text messages? I've received three spam messages within the week. I have no idea how they got my number.

I don't have a text message plan because I don't text message anyone so each of these unwanted messages is costing me .15 a pop. I don't feel I should pay people to spam me.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Chris_:
Class Action Suit (/Breck Girl)

Toastedturningtidelegs:

--- Quote from: jendf on January 10, 2008, 06:30:04 PM ---This isn't a computer-related question, but it is technology-related so I thought I would post it here.

What, if anything, can I do about unwanted text messages? I've received three spam messages within the week. I have no idea how they got my number.

I don't have a text message plan because I don't text message anyone so each of these unwanted messages is costing me .15 a pop. I don't feel I should pay people to spam me.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

--- End quote ---
Are you on the Do Not Call list? I believe that covers text messaging as well. I would find out what company or organization is spamming you and report them. Keep in mind some orgs are exempt from that list.

Chris_:
This issue was on the news a few weeks ago. Seems like they were considering regulation/legislation against it?

I'll try googling it for news items.

Chris_:
Googled it and it and can't find the current news about it.
But there is quite a bit of history about regulation and an apparent loop-hole in it.

Here's an FCC link..........
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/canspam.html

there is also this.....
http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs2a-cellcalls.htm#4

--- Quote ---What can I do if I am receiving spam text messages on my cell phone?
Beginning in 2004, the federal CAN-SPAM law made it illegal to send unsolicited commercial text messages. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has compiled a list of websites to which marketers may not send unsolicited e-mail because the messages go to wireless devices. This list was compiled with the help of the cell phone carriers.

If you are receiving unwanted messages, it is important to notify your phone carrier so they can get an idea of the scope of the problem. But remember, text messages from your phone carrier regarding your account are not considered "spam" within the meaning of the law.

You can report unwanted text messages to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The FCC cannot award monetary or other damages and does not settle individual consumer complaints, but it can issue citations or impose fines against those violating the CAN-SPAM Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the National Do-Not-Call Registry, and the FCC's related rules.

You may file a complaint with the FCC by:

E-mail : fccinfo@fcc.gov
    Online : www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html
    Telephone : Voice (888) CALL-FCC, or (888-225-5322)
    TTY (888) TELL-FCC, of (888-835-5322)
    Mail :
    Federal Communications Commission
    Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
    Consumer Inquiries and Complaint Division
    445 12th Street, SW
    Washington, DC 20554
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version