Author Topic: sparkling husband primitive is new to Macs  (Read 4303 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
sparkling husband primitive is new to Macs
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.org/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=233x6376

Oh my.

Macintosh must have come out with something new.

Maybe it's water-splatter-resistant or something.

First, the itching carpenter primitive:

Ichingcarpenter  (1000+ posts)      Mon Sep-15-08 07:45 PM
Original message

10.5.5 is ready to update for your Mac

Apple on Monday released Mac OS X 10.5.5, a recommended update for all users of Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard that includes over a hundred bug fixes and enhancements.

jasonc  (1000+ posts)        Tue Sep-16-08 09:50 PM
Response to Original message

1. Sweet

off to software update I go.

alfredo  (1000+ posts)        Wed Sep-17-08 12:59 AM

2. There's some more updates waiting too.

Husb2Sparkly  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-18-08 06:11 PM

3. I am totally new to Macs. I have 10.5.4. Is it worth upgrading?

My spanking new MacPro has been fired up for about a week.

Is the upgrade a hassle?

Is a one point upgrade any big deal? My reference is decades on MS machines and so many of the 'upgrades' were bullshit to fix arcane stuff like some tiny server function for big bidniss users.

How easy is it to install the upgrade? Does it get done automatically or do I have to download it and initiate it myself?

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)        Thu Sep-18-08 08:47 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. Not a hassle at all 

I am updating mine as I type this.

Go to the apple on the upper left and click then click on 'software update'. That's all there is to it.

Husb2Sparkly  (1000+ posts)        Fri Sep-19-08 01:48 PM
Response to Reply #4

6. I did it last night. Easy as pie

I don't notice any change, but the process went well.

Coincidentally, all of my PCs have been downloading WinXP SP3 ...... it is essentially a whole new operating system and takes as long to install. I even had to download it to my BootCamp installation.

moggie  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-19-08 03:17 AM
Response to Reply #3

5. Yes, it's worth it

Problems with Mac OS updates are rare, and the updates often include security fixes. The security aspects of this one are described here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3137

Some of the issues fixed aren't a big deal for a typical desktop user, but some of them are: for example, opening maliciously crafted images or documents leading to arbitrary code execution, which could allow the bad guy to do unpleasant things to your machine.

Might there be a particular reason so many primitives use Macs?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: sparkling husband primitive is new to Macs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »
Macs are less susceptible to virus's and other malware, so  maybe they feel safer when searching for their kiddie pron.  ::)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 01:49:11 AM »
Macs are less susceptible to virus's and other malware, so  maybe they feel safer when searching for their kiddie pron.  ::)

Oh.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »
When Macs were actually different from PC's (using their own processor, now they use Pentiums) they were viewed as comps for people in the know, and therefore better in status. I never bought into the BS.
In some way I think the DUmmies see it as being progressive.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:25:54 AM »
When Macs were actually different from PC's (using their own processor, now they use Pentiums) they were viewed as comps for people in the know, and therefore better in status. I never bought into the BS.
In some way I think the DUmmies see it as being progressive.

the opposite it true.  They were marketed as being so "easy to use" as opposed to evil windows pcs.
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 04:40:58 AM »
the opposite it true.  They were marketed as being so "easy to use" as opposed to evil windows pcs.

It was generally in the days when Microsoft hadn't really got DOS 6.2 or the coproduct , Windows 3.x sorted and was also in the days that the Motorolla RISC chip in the apple was "faster" at least on a CPU level (less propagation time twix instructions and less cycles to implement instructions). At the same time the GUI that Apple systems were supplied with was indeed vastly superior to the equivalent Mircosoft (or IBM in those days) OS/s on intel CPUs.

Both are true....They were easier to use AND they were technically "better". If apple had of cornered the games market (more so than the Graphical design / publishing industry) back then , they and motorolla would be on top now imo.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »

Quite possibly, but most Mac users I knew had an "attitude". I seem to remember it was the photo programs they were after.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 10:27:09 AM »
Apples STILL have better graphics capabilities than PCs. The gap is slowly diminishing. I looked inside an apple a couple of summers ago because one was acting up at Lock & Dam #1. It looked just like a pc. Fact is, Bill Gates stole Apple's GUI and modified it to suit him.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 03:10:08 AM »
Apples STILL have better graphics capabilities than PCs. The gap is slowly diminishing. I looked inside an apple a couple of summers ago because one was acting up at Lock & Dam #1. It looked just like a pc. Fact is, Bill Gates stole Apple's GUI and modified it to suit him.

Fact is, Steve Jobs stole Xerox's GUI and modified it to suit him. What exactly did Gates steal from apple?

How do they have better graphics capabilities than machines running windows?
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.