Interests > Religious Discussions

Bringing up Creationism and Noah turns CU into DU

(1/26) > >>

jinxmchue:
http://conservativeunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114114

Oy.

The Night Owl:
About the story of Noah...

Pablo Picasso once said that painting is a series of lies meant to express the truth. I view the Bible in the same way that Picasso viewed painting... as a series of lies meant to express the truth. Stories in the Bible do not have to be literally true to be figuratively true or spiritually true. For instance, to believe that God created the universe one need not believe the Biblical claim that he created it in 7 days.

I have never understood why some Christians feel the need to cling to the notion that the Bible is literally true. Faith does not require that stories in the Bible be literally true. All faith requires is that followers believe the spiritual truth.

Flame:

--- Quote from: jinxmchue on January 21, 2008, 08:51:20 AM ---http://conservativeunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114114

Oy.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, but the sad thing, is that it doesn't take a mention of Noah or creation to make CU look like DU anymore.  Most posts voer there now accomplish that all on their own!!

Lord Undies:
Picasso also said, "God is really only another artist. He invented the giraffe, the elephant and the cat. He has no real style, He just goes on trying other things".    I can see how someone with a limited, but contained, mind could think Picasso was brilliant.  

If the Bible is a series of lies meant to express the spiritual truth, then it is a contradiction to faith.  Fortunately, we who have a broader understanding of who is God do not find it necessary to assign human limitations to Him in order to feel better about ourselves.  

I don't find anything in the Bible unbelievable.  If I did, it would be useless to me.  

Chris_:

--- Quote from: The Night Owl on January 21, 2008, 10:38:41 AM ---About the story of Noah...

Pablo Picasso once said that painting is a series of lies meant to express the truth. I view the Bible in the same way that Picasso viewed painting... as a series of lies meant to express the truth. Stories in the Bible do not have to be literally true to be figuratively true or spiritually true. For instance, to believe that God created the universe one need not believe the Biblical claim that he created it in 7 days.

I have never understood why some Christians feel the need to cling to the notion that the Bible is literally true. Faith does not require that stories in the Bible be literally true. All faith requires is that followers believe the spiritual truth.

--- End quote ---
If one can believe that God created everything, why is time important?  God is independent of time.  I have no problem at all believing it was done in 6 days.  Note you claim 7 days, but it took only six...read the Bible much?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version