The Help Desk > Computer Related Discussions & Questions

Moving Toward Google-Free

(1/3) > >>

SVPete:
Google's firing of that employee who pointed out Google's  lack of ideological diversity has me POed. AFAIK, they have the right to do that. Just like I have the right to vote with my, ummm, computer mouse.

Here's where I'm at. I still use Chrome, it being less obnoxious to me than: IE; MS's new browser, which was not ready for prime time when I checked it out (a year or more ago); FireFox. I just figured out how to make Duck Duck Go my default search engine. The big question is: Is there a good, full capability browser that is not IE, not Firefox, and not Chrome? Has MS brought their new whatever-they-call-it up to snuff? Something else (Opera and Iron were annoyingly not full capability when I tried them a couple of years ago)?

FunkyZero:

--- Quote from: SVPete on August 08, 2017, 09:45:56 AM ---Google's firing of that employee who pointed out Google's  lack of ideological diversity has me POed. AFAIK, they have the right to do that. Just like I have the right to vote with my, ummm, computer mouse.

Here's where I'm at. I still use Chrome, it being less obnoxious to me than: IE; MS's new browser, which was not ready for prime time when I checked it out (a year or more ago); FireFox. I just figured out how to make Duck Duck Go my default search engine. The big question is: Is there a good, full capability browser that is not IE, not Firefox, and not Chrome? Has MS brought their new whatever-they-call-it up to snuff? Something else (Opera and Iron were annoyingly not full capability when I tried them a couple of years ago)?

--- End quote ---

I've been moving in the same direction here.
Firefox and the games they kept playing with java and flash have forced me into using Chrome... mostly because of the devices I have to manage at work. IE just doesn't have the plugin support I need for browsing the public internet... adblock, element hider and noscript are crucial for me, I can't live without those anymore.
I still use a "portable" ver of firefox 40 (old) that remains comparable with work related internal devices and their management interfaces.
So for me, I still use google for all my tech related queries just because the results are sometimes better. DuckDuckGo is my search engine for everything else.
There are numerous other browsers out there, but they come with certain levels of pain. They mostly lack plugin support which makes them a non-starter for me.

SVPete:
I'm aware of Safari, but I have a WIntel machine, so I don't know how well Safari will run on it. I've had enough frustration with the Deciduous Fruit Computer Company's products that I'm not inclined to give it a try. Maybe I'll check out MS Edge (their new browser whose name I just remembered). Right now I'm more POed with Google than with MS (They lost me long ago through their years of neglecting IE 6. By the time IE7 rolled out I'd been using FF, and IE7 offered no compelling reason to come back.).

SVPete:
Opened up Edge and have a half dozen tabs going, various sites I frequent. So far it's reasonably usable, not mis-rendering anything. Looks like a workable alternative to Chrome. I have a Win10 machine, for which it was created (and at present is the only OS on which it runs).

FunkyZero:

--- Quote from: SVPete on August 11, 2017, 07:00:39 AM ---Opened up Edge and have a half dozen tabs going, various sites I frequent. So far it's reasonably usable, not mis-rendering anything. Looks like a workable alternative to Chrome. I have a Win10 machine, for which it was created (and at present is the only OS on which it runs).

--- End quote ---

I haven't tried it, rumor had it that Flash and Java either aren't supported or don't work well.
Have you tried any of that? I'm curious now

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version