Author Topic: Opened bottle of CVS brand Excedrin Migraine.  (Read 4821 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Opened bottle of CVS brand Excedrin Migraine.
« on: September 15, 2010, 03:04:05 PM »
I went to the doctor this morning because of this constant headache. He thinks it's vascular so he wants me to see this neurologist that specializes in headaches and he told me he will probably do a MRA.  Anyway I stopped at CVS to picked up a refill of another medication and I also got a bottle of CVS brand Excedrin Migraine. When I got home and opened the box the security thingy that is under the lid was broken. Like someone stuck their finger through it. I of course won't take any of it but I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Opened bottle of CVS brand Excedrin Migraine.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »
I've never had a bottle of OTC pills that had a damaged security seal.  This is the first time I've heard of anyone finding one.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »
I've never had a bottle of OTC pills that had a damaged security seal.  This is the first time I've heard of anyone finding one.

This wasn't just a seal that came loose either, it looked like someone stuck their finger through it. The box was sealed.

Offline Taxman

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:18:11 PM »
Bring it back.  Why take the risk?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 03:53:36 PM »
Bring it back.  Why take the risk?

I'm not going to take it and I plan on taking it back. I was just wondering if anyone else has had it happen before.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:48:30 PM »
Nope, I never have, but as I work in regulated industry (pharma and medical devices), you definitely want to hold on to that sample and lodge a complaint.

Don't take it back to CVS - the Excedrin people will fall all over themselves to replace that product (and more). They will want the sample back so they can investigate.

If they find tampering, that could be grounds for a recall.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 05:24:07 PM »
I'm with Eupher.  Is there a contact number for them on the bottle?  There usually is.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 05:29:48 PM »
Nope, I never have, but as I work in regulated industry (pharma and medical devices), you definitely want to hold on to that sample and lodge a complaint.

Don't take it back to CVS - the Excedrin people will fall all over themselves to replace that product (and more). They will want the sample back so they can investigate.

If they find tampering, that could be grounds for a recall.

Thanks for the info Eupher. I called CVS and they told me to bring it back but I am calling the number on the box.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 05:41:54 PM »
I called the manufacturer and they are sending a prepaid lable to send it back to them. She was very apologetic and is sending me either a replacement or a coupon for a replacement (I can't remember what she said). She said they will investigate it.

Thanks for the suggestion Euphor.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »
Since the Tylenol thing I'm a stickler for security seals on my medications and food.  I've never found something so obvious, but I have found a couple of store brand medications lacking the safety seal that's usually on the top of the bottle before the cap goes on.  They both had the outer clear plastic seal around the necks.  Maybe all of them don't have the double layer of security, but it still makes me nervous.

I like Eupher's comment and suggestion and will remember it for future reference.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »
I would have sent it and the details straight to the White House and Obama, and asked him why healthcare has deteriorated so quickly under his rule.  :-)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 06:07:18 PM »
I would have sent it and the details straight to the White House and Obama, and asked him why healthcare has deteriorated so quickly under his rule.  :-)

LOL  :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 07:52:51 PM »
LOL Thundley! Ask them for the free pony coupon too.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »
I'm especially watchful with meds because of the Tylenol incident. I did happen across a food item that had a broken seal. I took it back to WalMart, they replaced it. It's very suspicious that the box was sealed and the inside tamper proof seal was busted. Could have been a disgruntled employee or some customer with a "grievance".
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Eupher. I called CVS and they told me to bring it back but I am calling the number on the box.

It's possible that CVS would file the complaint on your behalf (I used to handle complaints in my first pharma job after I retired from the Army), but that isolates YOU from the Excedrin people. Yes, they should handle all the expenses associated with sending the product back (I'd take a picture to keep) and they should at least get you replacement product.

It sounds like the Excedrin people are doing the right thing. Remember they are obligated, by law, to respond in writing to you with the results of their investigation. Make sure to follow up with them in a couple weeks or so.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.