Author Topic: Iowa drops gay marriage - yellow dawg howls  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Vagabond

Iowa drops gay marriage - yellow dawg howls
« on: March 17, 2009, 05:53:17 AM »
bluedawg12  (1000+ posts)     Sun Mar-15-09 02:10 AM
Original message
Iowa: "gender-neutral marriage bill" dropped from agenda.
 Advertisements [?]
http://www.365gay.com/news/iowa-gender-neutral-marriage... /
365 Gay

By Jennifer Vanasco

(Des Moines, Iowa) Legislation that would make marriage gender neutral in Iowa appeared dead Friday after it was stripped from the list of measures to be take up by lawmakers this session.

Send / ShareAdd CommentWhile it remains possible the bill could reemerge near the end of the session, most political observers believe it has little chance of being taken up.

The bill was sponsored by Sen. Matt McCoy. It would have replaced the words that define a couple as husband and wife under Iowa’s marriage law with spouse.

With the bill failing to be marked up, same-sex couples are now pinning their hopes on the state Supreme Court. The court late last year heard arguments in a challenge to the state ban on same-sex marriage.

In 2007, Polk County Judge Robert Hanson struck down the state Defense of Marriage lawn declaring it to be unconstitutional. Later the same day Hanson stayed the ruling pending an appeal.

Arguing before the Supreme Court Assistant Polk County Attorney Roger Kuhle told the justices that Hanson had overstepped his authority.

Kuhle also said that state support of same-sex marriage would damage traditional marriage, arguing that it would indicate to future generations that marriage is no longer about procreation.

Lambda Legal attorney Camilla Taylor, representing the six couples who are challenging the ban on gay marriage, told the court that the law violates Iowa’s constitution.

Taylor said that the constitution protects gay people’s rights to due process and equal protection. There is no indication when the court will rule.

Well, a community has a right to set standards of conduct.  It has no good reason to recognize gay relationships, good of the Iowa legislatur to realize this.

But the DUmmies are good little jack-boots.  If they can't get the body that creates law to do it, they will resort to jack-boots and judges....
greenkal (74 posts)      Sun Mar-15-09 02:25 AM
Response to Original message
1. Can these legislators be charged with a crime?
 Why won't the cops do that? This is a hate crime. Why aren't these crooks in prison?
Because most of the hatred going on here, is your hatred, not theirs.  So you call in the jwhat you want to be your jackboots.

2. More and more, it seems like it will be the Courts that will bring change
 if anything will, at all. 
And now for the judges.   Nothing like forcing things on an unwilling populace is there.

Linky
(That's the whole thread.)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:47:41 AM by Vagabond »
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Iowa drops gay marriage - yellow dawg howls
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:16:14 AM »
Have they been taking notes from Californicate?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:26:23 AM »
More of these states need to amend their constitution to ban gay marriage before it gets put on the ballot time after time after time.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:40:31 AM »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:51:19 AM by Lord Undies »

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:43:35 AM »
greenkal (74 posts)      Sun Mar-15-09 02:25 AM
1. Can these legislators be charged with a crime?
 Why won't the cops do that? This is a hate crime. Why aren't these crooks in prison?
Is there really a law that says you have to make gay marriage legal? Wouldn't that be like a law that says gay marriage is legal...or something?

weird
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 07:48:38 AM »
We need a link to the Little Goon thread.

:tongue:
fixored
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:55:20 AM »
TechBear_Seattle  (1000+ posts)          Mon Mar-16-09 12:45 AM
3. So marriage is about procreation, eh?
   Edited on Mon Mar-16-09 12:45 AM by TechBear_Seattle
So make procreation a requirement for marriage, and prohibit legal marriage from anyone who cannot or will not procreate. And while we are at it, we should also make it a felony for anyone to procreate outside of marriage.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings over all, but according to statistics, this Little Goon is advocating locking up a L-O-T of black Americans.

Offline Karin

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »
Anything that has to do with this subject, be it a demo or a thread on a forum, results in the most goofy-assed commentary.  You half-expect to see "It should be a requirement to be gay.  If you're not gay, you should be locked up."   If I were gay, I'd be embarassed by everything that's come out of the woodwork since the election. 

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 03:58:49 PM »
 Here's my take on the whole damned issue.

I don't give a flying **** what you find attractive. You wanna screw dead goats, go right ahead. God told you the deal and if you don't want to listen you can burn in hell for ever, for all I care. Marrage? Last time I checked I had to pay the state for a licence to get married. Give that shit to Ceasar and go all ghey if you want, but where does it say the Church is required to marry you?
If the law of the state says you can marry your pet cat, then so what? Have a great time. I could care less. If the Law, voted on by the people, says Man and Woman only, then shut the **** up and move the **** out. Last I checked your right to happiness says you can persue it- you don't just get it handed to you, you ****ing little whiny sum-bitches.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 04:45:04 PM »
I don't give a flying **** what you find attractive. You wanna screw dead goats, go right ahead. God told you the deal and if you don't want to listen you can burn in hell for ever, for all I care. Marrage? Last time I checked I had to pay the state for a licence to get married. Give that shit to Ceasar and go all ghey if you want, but where does it say the Church is required to marry you?
If the law of the state says you can marry your pet cat, then so what? Have a great time. I could care less. If the Law, voted on by the people, says Man and Woman only, then shut the **** up and move the **** out. Last I checked your right to happiness says you can persue it- you don't just get it handed to you, you ****ing little whiny sum-bitches.

Dutch, that's definitely H5-worthy.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.