Author Topic: DUmmies don't understand the difference between "Major" and "Classes"  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.

octoberlib (8,695 posts)

A Univ. of Wisconsin campus pushes plan to drop 13 majors including English, history and philosop

The University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point has proposed dropping 13 majors in the humanities and social sciences — including English, philosophy, history, sociology and Spanish — while adding programs with “clear career pathways” as a way to address declining enrollment and a multimillion-dollar deficit.

Students and faculty members have reacted with surprise and concern to the news, which is being portrayed by the school’s administration as a path to regain enrollment and provide new opportunities to students. Critics see something else: a waning commitment to liberal arts education and a chance to lay off faculty under new rules that weakened tenure.

The plan to cut the liberal arts and humanities majors (see full list below) is in line with a failed attempt by Republican Gov. Scott Walker in 2015 to secretly change the mission of the respected university system — known as the Wisconsin Idea and embedded in the state code — by removing words that commanded the university to “search for truth” and “improve the human condition” and replacing them with “meet the state’s workforce needs.”

The push away from liberal arts and toward workplace skills is championed by conservatives who see many four-year colleges and universities as politically correct institutions that graduate too many students without practical job skills — but with liberal political views.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2018/03/21/university-of-wisconsin-campus-pushes-plan-to-drop-13-majors-including-english-history-and-philosophy/?utm_term=.46391c157f65

Republicans want a nation of serfs with no critical thinking skills.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210389079

The replies in the thread... crack me up. they act like the classes are going away rather than the specific degree. If it were any other site...I'd probably be facepalming.

What's also funny ... the responses to the few that actually understand and articulate "the degrees are going away, not the classes."

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: DUmmies don't understand the difference between "Major" and "Classes"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 05:42:33 AM »
 :lmao:

I like this one, as it illustrates our mantra; DUmmies lie, all the time.

DFW (27,607 posts)

46. Not in my day

The Soviet Union showed no signs of cracking when I was in college (1970-74). The biggest advantages of learning Russian in my college days were learning to read Pushkin in the original, being able to understand the lyrics of songs I was learning on the balalaika, and being placed in West Berlin to spy on radio transmissions of the Soviet Air Force in West Berlin instead of being sent as a grunt in Vietnam. That last wasn't me, but a friend of mine, who had some very funny stories to tell, as some of the radio communications involved a lot of funny episodes and a lot of obscenities, which they were required to transcribe word for word.

So, Mark, what part of that is actually TRUE?  "That last..." goes from the period behind your dates in college.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 05:48:32 AM »
You know, it's threads like this one that remind me why they fail at so much.  I've never seen a larger group of people who misunderstand the meaning of intelligence.  These folks actually believe if you don't go to college you can't possibly be 'smart.'

The reason they fail is because they underestimate people who have intelligence, but just weren't cut out for going to college.  Some of the smartest people I've ever met didn't even finish high school.

I'm a fairly intelligent person and graduated high school. I have a total of 7 college hours, but it's just not for me.  I chose a different path in life.  I provide for my family quite well, and can hold a conversation on many topics and speak intelligently on them.

Oh well, DUmmies will always be elitists, and will continue to be losers because of it.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:34:40 AM »
It makes a lot of sense to go to college and acquire about $40,000.00 of debt to get a degree that will get you a $35,00.00 a year job or no job.

Then complain that life is unfair because you have to work your way out of a crushing debt. :thatsright: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:43:57 AM »

It makes a lot of sense to go to college and acquire about $40,000.00 of debt to get a degree that will get you a $35,00.00 a year job or no job.

Then complain that life is unfair because you have to work your way out of a crushing debt. :thatsright: :loser:

I have a very good friend who has a BS in computer science.  He's a sharp guy, and worked his way through college to get his degree. 

The one thing he lets get under his skin is that I've always earned more money than he has.  And not just a little more, I have consistently earned a lot more than he does.  He never really understood why I should earn more money than he does when he sacrificed for 4 years to get a degree, while I did not.  It irks him.

KC

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »

My son graduated with a Business degree, zero debt, and something like survivor's guilt over his friends who graduated with tens of thousands of dollars of debt. He got over it pretty quickly.

BTW, I think you have to work at Starchucks or M for a while to get raises to a $17.50/hour wage, IYKWIM.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 09:36:43 AM »

I have a very good friend who has a BS in computer science.  He's a sharp guy, and worked his way through college to get his degree. 

The one thing he lets get under his skin is that I've always earned more money than he has.  And not just a little more, I have consistently earned a lot more than he does.  He never really understood why I should earn more money than he does when he sacrificed for 4 years to get a degree, while I did not.  It irks him.

KC

I know a few people with Masters degrees in the equivalent of Wymens studies. One works at Home Depot and the other at a garage changing oil.  Yes they are still paying off student debt.   :rofl:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 09:37:37 AM »
oberliner (48,792 posts)
41. English?

You think very few students major in English?

They are flooding the country with hispanics who have no interest in speaking english, so what's the big deal? :thatsright:

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 10:43:29 AM »
I'm puzzled what a degree in English qualifies them to do other than
teach English. It produces nothing but debt and disappointment. 
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »
Once upon a time a Liberal Arts degree opened doors and companies were willing to train people with Arts degrees in whatever the companies did. A shift started in the 70s or 80s and companies prefer job candidates with degrees in relevant fields of study. The stupid things here are that Academics and Progs are only starting to recognize this reality, and that the "solution" they propose, for now, is "free shit" (= cancelling student debt). Proposals to coerce companies to hire grads with irrelevant and useless degrees cannot be far behind (if such proposals have not already been propounded).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »
Part of the problem is those commercials where some hipster with the stupid man bun tools into the office on his little gay scooter and tells everyone to use fedex and the company makes millions or the one with the woman with the afro gets an app on her phone and the money just comes rolling into her checking account.   :argh: :thatsright:

Life ain't like that.

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »
You know, it's threads like this one that remind me why they fail at so much.  I've never seen a larger group of people who misunderstand the meaning of intelligence.  These folks actually believe if you don't go to college you can't possibly be 'smart.'

The reason they fail is because they underestimate people who have intelligence, but just weren't cut out for going to college.  Some of the smartest people I've ever met didn't even finish high school.

I'm a fairly intelligent person and graduated high school. I have a total of 7 college hours, but it's just not for me.  I chose a different path in life.  I provide for my family quite well, and can hold a conversation on many topics and speak intelligently on them.

Oh well, DUmmies will always be elitists, and will continue to be losers because of it.

KC

IMO, they're failures so often because they are blinded by that which they claim people on the right.

Propaganda... they repeat their tripe so much, that they believe it. Then they post it on the DU echo chamber... where they are hailed as free and original thinkers with clear and logical solutions..... with people that think just like them and offer only subtle (if any) differences in their solution. Lather, rinse, repeat....

Then they are *SHOCKED* when their ideas fail... the only possible reasons are 1. Republicans cheated. 2 Russians. and 3. Republicans colluded with Russia to cheat and disenfranchise ...*insert victim do jour here*

Offline Delmar

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »
Response to jodymarie aimee (Reply #53)Wed Mar 21, 2018, 09:13 PM
Ellipsis (7,537 posts)
58. One of the top 25 schools in the country for Theatre

"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 09:58:45 PM »
>DFW Not in my day - The Soviet Union showed no signs of cracking when I was in college (1970-74)...I was learning on the balalaika

dfw, you ignorant rich boy...you may fool the ignorant but it's because you are the fool ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xckBwPdo1c

Offline ROCKURWORLD

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »

KC

I only have a 2 yr degree from a local tech school and I make over twice the average income for my area. If you include my wife who has no degree we make over 3 times the average family income. It all has to with hard work and a overall good work ethic.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 06:54:08 PM »
My dad dropped out in the 7th grade. When he retired (in 2003 I think) he was making over $28 an hour.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 07:56:33 PM »
I only have a 2 yr degree from a local tech school and I make over twice the average income for my area. If you include my wife who has no degree we make over 3 times the average family income. It all has to with hard work and a overall good work ethic.

You’re absolutely correct. Work ethic and drive. I was raised extremely poor and knew that wasn’t for me. While my wife and I are not 1%’s, we're doing quite well. I don’t have to look in the checkbook before I write a check, and that’s nice.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 10:16:33 PM »

KC

High schools push college too much. They cut down on vocational high school programs.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 10:41:35 PM »
DFW (27,607 posts)

46. Not in my day

The Soviet Union showed no signs of cracking when I was in college (1970-74). The biggest advantages of learning Russian in my college days were learning to read Pushkin in the original, being able to understand the lyrics of songs I was learning on the balalaika, and being placed in West Berlin to spy on radio transmissions of the Soviet Air Force in West Berlin instead of being sent as a grunt in Vietnam. That last wasn't me, but a friend of mine, who had some very funny stories to tell, as some of the radio communications involved a lot of funny episodes and a lot of obscenities, which they were required to transcribe word for word.

Is there one person or one thing that Mark doesn't claim to know?
Deplorable since 2016

Offline thundley4

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 10:54:50 PM »
High schools push college too much. They cut down on vocational high school programs.

Vocational programs consume more resources than just plain classes that only need a dues paying body in the seat.