Author Topic: In WInston Churchill - Hollywood rewards a mass murderer  (Read 5159 times)

Offline Mary Ann

In WInston Churchill - Hollywood rewards a mass murderer
« on: March 12, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210345283

malaise (169,576 posts)

In WInston Churchill - Hollywood rewards a mass murderer
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/opinions-in-winston-churchill-hollywood-rewards-a-mass-murderer/ar-BBK7flL?li=AAggNb9
<snip>
Shashi Tharoor is author of “Inglorious Empire: What the British Did to India.” He chairs the Indian Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee.

“History,” Winston Churchill said, “will be kind to me, for I intend to write it myself.” He needn’t have bothered. He was one of the great mass murderers of the 20th century, yet is the only one, unlike Hitler and Stalin, to have escaped historical odium in the West. He has been crowned with a Nobel Prize (for literature, no less), and now, an actor portraying him (Gary Oldman) has been awarded an Oscar.

As Hollywood confirms, Churchill’s reputation (as what Harold Evans has called “the British Lionheart on the ramparts of civilization”) rests almost entirely on his stirring rhetoric and his talent for a fine phrase during World War II. “We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the end. … We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets. … We shall never surrender.” (The revisionist British historian John Charmley dismissed this as “sublime nonsense.”)

Words, in the end, are all that Churchill admirers can point to. His actions are another matter altogether.

----------------------------
This war criminal orchestrated more than a few coups as well.

Those darn white guys! They screw everything up for everyone else. Should have left well enough alone, with that whole WWII thing.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: In WInston Churchill - Hollywood rewards a mass murderer
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
It's a refreshing break from Hollywood rewarding the rapists and child molesters in their midst, DUmbass.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 01:31:00 PM »
Maybe he should have driven a car off a bridge with a young woman in it, walked away (staggered away), and let her drown.  THEN he would be a darling of the left.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 01:33:19 PM »
Maybe he should have driven a car off a bridge with a young woman in it, walked away (staggered away), and let her drown.  THEN he would be a darling of the left.

KC

Damnit man; I just :hi5: 'ed you! Now I have to wait a whole hour to give you another one for THIS thing of beauty. :cheers1:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:34:02 PM »
More bizzaro world bullshit from leftist scum.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »
The research division at the dump must work 24 / 7 to find things to complain about. :thatsright: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »
Damnit man; I just :hi5: 'ed you! Now I have to wait a whole hour to give you another one for THIS thing of beauty. :cheers1:

It just hit me wrong.  They are all so upset about Chappaquidick (sp?), because it was about one of their heroes who straight up let a young woman drown.  Now they're pissed about Churchill?!  WTF?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »
The research division at the dump must work 24 / 7 to find things to complain about. :thatsright: :loser:

It's a post by mal, so you got that right. For my part, I didn't know she hated any non-US people.

An example of lying by omission, from the article mal linked:

Dealing with unrest in Mesopotamia in 1921, as secretary of state for the colonies, Churchill acted as a war criminal: “I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against the uncivilised tribes; it would spread a lively terror.” ...

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Churchill#First_World_War_and_the_Post-War_Coalition ,

In 1919, Churchill sanctioned the use of tear gas on Kurdish tribesmen in Iraq. Though the British did consider the use of non-lethal poison gas in putting down Kurdish rebellions, it was not used, as conventional bombing was considered effective.

I suspect mal's article is filled with similar lies-by-omission. This one was just the easiest to fact-check.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 01:54:47 PM »
It's a post by mal, so you got that right. For my part, I didn't know she hated any non-US people.

An example of lying by omission, from the article mal linked:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Churchill#First_World_War_and_the_Post-War_Coalition ,

I suspect mal's article is filled with similar lies-by-omission. This one was just the easiest to fact-check.

Say what they may, the man was effective and, war is hell.  There's not much I wouldn't do to stop a war.  How many lives were saved by the 100k+ we killed in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

KC

*Stolen

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 02:07:42 PM »
Pretty sure I'd take tear gas over being 'conventionally bombed'.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 02:19:03 PM »
Pretty sure I'd take tear gas over being 'conventionally bombed'.

I thought the same thing.

KC

*Stolen

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »

I thought the same thing.

KC

Add me to that list.

They probably think of 'conventionally bombed' in the alcoholic sense.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 03:49:09 PM »
Read that the other day from MSN.  Read the first couple of paragraphs, and couldn't help but think what revisionist history.  Pathetic.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 03:52:41 PM »
It is at the point where any heroic white man has to be somehow destroyed to achieve the end of making the history of the world Afrocentric.

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 04:44:11 PM »
Seems to me the left went all gaga from 2008 - 2016 about a man who's only real accomplishment was to read from a teleprompter well.   It's pitiful to hear him without his teleprompter.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 07:26:34 AM »
I'm not much on historic drama or biopics; but Darkest Hour was a great movie. Oldman deserved that Oscar.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 08:39:26 AM »
I wonder how many wedding party attendees Obama murdered in drone strikes?
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline tuolumnejim

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »
I wonder how many wedding party attendees Obama murdered in drone strikes?
Or how many died because the Clenise ordered a medicine factory destroyed over a stain on a blue dress?  :fuelfire: BILL CLINTON’S ACT OF TERRORISM
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »
Those evil British criminalized the hindu custom of bride burning.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SVPete

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 12:42:08 PM »

Suttee or Sati was the custom of a widow self-immolating on her dead husband's funeral pyre.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »

You know, sir, I'm really tired of this stale old British-bashing, which has  been going on all of my adult life.

The primitives don't know shit about it.

I'm sure that as history advances, it'll be commonly agreed that these people were some of the most decent, the most civilized, the most magnanimous people ever to grace this planet.

https://youtu.be/nhKYg641K3c
apres moi, le deluge

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »
You know, sir, I'm really tired of this stale old British-bashing, which has  been going on all of my adult life.

I'm sure that as history advances, it'll be commonly agreed that these people were some of the most decent, the most civilized, the most magnanimous people ever to grace this planet.

Hi Frank!H5 :cheersmate:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 02:00:50 PM »

FRANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

How the heck are you????????????????????

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 02:43:09 PM »
Pretty sure I'd take tear gas over being 'conventionally bonged'.
Fixuration applied.   :whistling:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 03:20:32 PM »

So glad to see you again!