Author Topic: Iran satellite launch a failure: U.S. official  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Iran satellite launch a failure: U.S. official
« on: August 19, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »

oops.  maybe they could photoshop an iranian flag on some other country's satellite that is already in orbit. :-)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iran's attempt to launch a dummy satellite into orbit was a "dramatic failure" that fell far short of the country's assertions of success, a U.S. official said on Tuesday

"The attempted launch failed," the official said.

"The vehicle failed shortly after liftoff and in no way reached its intended position," the official said. "It could be characterized as a dramatic failure."

Iran, embroiled in a standoff with the West over its nuclear ambitions, said on Sunday it has put a dummy satellite into orbit on a home-grown rocket for the first time, using a technology that could also be used for launching weapons. Iran says it has no nuclear-weapons plans and that it seeks nuclear technology to generate electricity.

Iranian television showed the rocket on its launch pad, but did not show the actual lift-off.

More

Offline Happy Fun Ball

Re: Iran satellite launch a failure: U.S. official
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
D'oh!

“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:07:25 PM »

oops.  maybe they could photoshop an iranian flag on some other country's satellite that is already in orbit. :-)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iran's attempt to launch a dummy satellite into orbit was a "dramatic failure" that fell far short of the country's assertions of success, a U.S. official said on Tuesday

"The vehicle failed shortly after liftoff and in no way reached its intended position," the official said. "It could be characterized as a dramatic failure."

Iran, embroiled in a standoff with the West over its nuclear ambitions, said on Sunday it has put a dummy satellite into orbit on a home-grown rocket for the first time, using a technology that could also be used for launching weapons. Iran says it has no nuclear-weapons plans and that it seeks nuclear technology to generate electricity.

Iranian television showed the rocket on its launch pad, but did not show the actual lift-off.

More

I doubt we'll ever know (if this is the case) but I wonder how much one of these:

might have played a role in the "early termination" of the missile satellite launch.  Remember, it's a very  small step from being able to put a payload into orbit, and being able to put a similar sized payload on your enemy's front doorstep.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »

More

I doubt we'll ever know (if this is the case) but I wonder how much one of these:

might have played a role in the "early termination" of the missile satellite launch.  Remember, it's a very  small step from being able to put a payload into orbit, and being able to put a similar sized payload on your enemy's front doorstep.

no, I think they probably just didn't have a big enough rubber band in the sling shot.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »

Oh.  I thought this guy was the only one who still shopped from an ACME catalogue.  I guess Mahmoud Ahmanutjob does too.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »

More

It wouldn't be the first time.  The SR-71 flew foe twelve years before President Johnson made a public announcment of it and the same goes for the F-117.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:32:33 PM »

More

It wouldn't be the first time.  The SR-71 flew foe twelve years before President Johnson made a public announcment of it and the same goes for the F-117.

true, but an operational anti-ballistic missile system has a strong deterrent effect on countries that are trying to develop ballistic missile technology that would be lost if no one knew that it existed.