Author Topic: Edwards Admits Sexual Affair; Lied as Presidential Candidate  (Read 11743 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Edwards Admits Sexual Affair; Lied as Presidential Candidate
« on: August 08, 2008, 01:59:22 PM »
Edwards Admits Sexual Affair; Lied as Presidential Candidate
In ABC News Interview, Edwards Says He Cheated, but Did Not Father Child

John Edwards repeatedly lied during his Presidential campaign about an extra-marital affair with a novice film-maker, the former Senator admitted to ABC News today.

In an interview for broadcast tonight on Nightline, Edwards told ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff he did have an affair with 42-year old Rielle Hunter, but said that he did not love her.

Edwards also denied he was the father of Hunter's baby girl, Frances Quinn, although the one-time Democratic Presidential candidate said he has not taken a paternity test.

Edwards said he knew he was not the father based on timing of the baby's birth on February 27, 2008. He said his affair ended too soon for him to have been the father.

A former campaign aide, Andrew Young, has said he was the father of the child.

More

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Edwards Admits Sexual Affair; Lied as Presidential Candidate
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »
I guess that ruins his chances for any potential VP nod. Yayyy!!!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »
I wonder if he gets to keep his speaking slot at the convention.  I'm sure they'll welcome him with open arms... after all, admiting to infidelity and adultery is just a formality, a speedbump in the life of a Democratic politician.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 02:06:24 PM »
this is very clintonian.  he is admitting what he can no longer deny, but still denying everything else.  "yes, we did it.  no, it's not my kid".  I guess if she will make it with the breck girl, though, she'll make it with just about anyone.

Watch the full interview tonight on "Nightline" at 11:35 p.m. ET -- MUST SEE TV!!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »
He also said he hasn't taken a paternity test either.

He would be toast if he was a GOP candidate......the DNC will probably want him for VP..... ::)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 02:09:30 PM »
He also said he hasn't taken a paternity test either.

He would be toast if he was a GOP candidate......the DNC will probably want him for VP..... ::)

I heard Barry was eyeing him for the AG post.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 02:09:52 PM »
This whole thing is beginning to remind me of that line from "The Last Boy Scout"...

Joe: Sure, sure, it just happened. Could happen to anybody. It was an accident, right? You tripped, fell on the floor and accidently stuck your dick into my wife. "Oops, I'm sorry, Mrs. H, I guess this just isn't my week".
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lauri

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 02:15:28 PM »
this is very clintonian.  he is admitting what he can no longer deny, but still denying everything else.  "yes, we did it.  no, it's not my kid".  I guess if she will make it with the breck girl, though, she'll make it with just about anyone.

Watch the full interview tonight on "Nightline" at 11:35 p.m. ET -- MUST SEE TV!!

in the NBC article it says she slept with Edwards and a buddy of his from his campaign. so, they are going to paint *her* as a slut and the baby as "whoever's" ...

classy act that Edwards, while his wife has terminal cancer.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 02:18:42 PM »

of course, this will completely rip the "culture of corruption" rug right out from under nancy pelosi.  no, it isn't "corruption" specifically, but I doubt she would dare bring up anything resembling the personal failings or character flaws of republicans with THIS pink elephant in the room.

this guy is (arguably) among the top 5 "prominent" democrats in the country, and he may have just handed us a perfect issue, if delicately and discreetly played.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 02:18:57 PM »

nah the Dems make heroes out of people who admit this kind of stuff.  (See Bill Clinton)

If anything it's IMPROVED his chances of getting the Veep nod.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 02:20:22 PM »
hahahahahaha *gasp* hahahahahahahaha

Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 02:20:35 PM »

in the NBC article it says she slept with Edwards and a buddy of his from his campaign. so, they are going to paint *her* as a slut and the baby as "whoever's" ...

he took great pains to make it clear that elizabeth was in remission when he was banging the divorcee like a screen door in a hurricane. :whatever:  like that makes a huge difference.  more clintonian sidestepping and obfuscation.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 02:21:13 PM »

the news on Fox was reporting that he said his wife was in remission at the time. the guy asking whoever was on the phone ( a woman)....asked if that made a difference.....the woman on the phone said no. (sorry clicked over to it and didn't see who was being interviewed)

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Donpeyote

• Schade's friend
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 02:24:19 PM »

nah the Dems make heroes out of people who admit this kind of stuff.  (See Bill Clinton)

If anything it's IMPROVED his chances of getting the Veep nod.
  +1

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »

he took great pains to make it clear that elizabeth was in remission when he was banging the divorcee like a screen door in a hurricane. :whatever:  like that makes a huge difference.  more clintonian sidestepping and obfuscation.

I'm gonna have to remember that line.  LOL

BTW, he's always been a douche, but he's extra-strength douche now. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 02:25:20 PM »

the news on Fox was reporting that he said his wife was in remission at the time. the guy asking whoever was on the phone ( a woman)....asked if that made a difference.....the woman on the phone said no. (sorry clicked over to it and didn't see who was being interviewed)

Edwards made a point of telling Woodruff that his wife's cancer was in remission when he began the affair with Hunter. Elizabeth Edwards has since been diagnosed with an incurable form of the disease.

well, mere adultery is perfectly acceptable in dem circles, as proven by the Clenis and moni*cough*ca.  BUT, banging strangers while your wife is battling incurable cancer, well, that would demonstrate insensitivity to womens' health issues, and you get the death penalty for that in the democrat party.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 02:31:12 PM »
that would demonstrate insensitivity to womens' health issues, and you get the death penalty for that in the democrat party.

I wouldn't bet on it......

doc

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 02:34:26 PM »
that would demonstrate insensitivity to womens' health issues, and you get the death penalty for that in the democrat party.

I wouldn't bet on it......

doc

. . . figuratively speaking, of course. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 02:45:17 PM »

if the affair is over, and it isn't his kid, and he did not love her in the first place, why the hell was he meeting her behind his wife's back at 2AM in a beverly hills hotel?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 02:48:52 PM »

if the affair is over, and it isn't his kid, and he did not love her in the first place, why the hell was he meeting her behind his wife's back at 2AM in a beverly hills hotel?

Because like most lawyers...he has no problem screwing anyone anywhere at anytime and not feel the least bit remorseful about it later.

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 02:51:28 PM »

It was their weekly book club meeting.  I know that's what I'm doing at 2am.   :uhsure:
Stink Eye

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 02:57:52 PM »

Edwards said he knew he was not the father based on timing of the baby's birth on February 27, 2008. He said his affair ended too soon for him to have been the father.

oh, please, the affair wasn't over last month, from all appearances. :whatever:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 03:02:35 PM »

It was their weekly book club meeting.  I know that's what I'm doing at 2am.   :uhsure:

the title that week was Ruining Your Career for Skanky Tail, by Ida N. ****mylifeup

I think the foreward is by gary hart.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 03:06:07 PM »
He could always take a page from that stalwart of the Democrat party, Marion Barry, former mayor of D.C.:

"The bitch set me up!"

:-)
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 03:09:11 PM »

of course, paying an utterly unqualified person $114K from your campaign funds for work that she never actually did, just because, as it turns out, she was doing you is definitely unethical . . . I wonder if it's illegal?