Author Topic: Windows 10 and Project Spartan  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
Windows 10 and Project Spartan
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:10:21 PM »
Well, I'm running W10 on my desktop, and I think I kinda like it.

The thing looks like a smartphone screen writ large, altho the phone and tablet icon-filled splash screen is relegated to the start menu. The splash screen is very much like W7. Basic settings are the same.

The start screen is where all the stuff is, icons for the major stuff like email, weather, stuff like that. Programs are now "apps", with an icon for the Microsoft Store. Haven' gone there yet.

So far, all my programs that worked on W7 work on W10, the drivers work flawlessly so far.

Project Spartan I basically IE for tablets. Same browser, different package.

more later as I get deeper into the thing.

Don't get stuck on stupid...

I am of the CauCajun persuasion...  :-)

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Windows 10 and Project Spartan
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »
I certainly hope wifi adapter support is better than it is in W8.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:36:44 PM »
I certainly hope wifi adapter support is better than it is in W8.
I've sync'd my tablet and phone via wireless modem to the desktop. So far so good. Desktop doesn't have a wifi adapter.

Leftwing lunatic thought process concerning police: I'm armed with bad breath and body odor. The police are armed with a badge, a tazer, a 9mm, and a shotgun.  I should antagonize them.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 09:20:29 PM »
Just loaded latest build release (#10122). It is supposed to address performance and appearance issues. We'll see.

Right now, I'm using IE because Spartan/Atom won't do the font style changes I like. I already put in a bitch about that, and the inability to rearrange the Favorites (Bookmarks). Apparently I'm not the only one with these issues, judging from the feedback entries.

Getting used to the tablet/phone start menu, quirky as it is to old IE hands.

More to come as I use it more. Also, the grand-nephew is gonna be here for the summer while his parents are at work, and he uses this computer during the day. He'll really give  it a workout. (He's 9, hyper, and super intelligent.)

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 06:48:15 PM »
Well, the desktop is back to W7Pro. The Ethernet adapter wouldn't play right with my Linksys router, kept dropping IP address, and would not reconnect. had to reload the Ethernet adapter 4 times before I finally gave up. Major PITA.  :rant:

Project Spartan, aka Atom browser, sux in general.

All in all, it doesn't seem "ready for prime time", and, with Microsoft's track record, it will release with many of the bugs still there.

When they release it at  the end of June or so, I'll download my free copies and wait a while before installing them, IF I indeed do install the damn thing.

More later.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 04:52:52 AM »
 :popcorn:
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 09:17:30 AM »
Downloaded and installed W10Home build 10147, and running it as we speak.

It is, contrary to Microsoft's advertising, slow to load the GUI, slow to load apps, what we used to call "programs", and generally not very responsive. What DOES load tends to hang, freezing the computer in its tracks.

Project Spartan, the new browser, is, as of this build, now "Atom", probably for the type of bomb it seems to be. If I wanted a smartphone browser, I'd use a smartphone or tablet.

I'm gonna give it a little more time to settle down before I trash it and use a different OS.

:rant:   :rant:   :rant:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:19:07 AM »
That doesn't sound promising.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 09:45:33 AM »
Is this something those of us not computer-savvy, and those of us generally content with what we already have, can safely ignore, or is it going to get into our face sooner or later and we'll have to deal with it?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
Is this something those of us not computer-savvy, and those of us generally content with what we already have, can safely ignore, or is it going to get into our face sooner or later and we'll have to deal with it?

I keep wondering when Micro$oft is going to go full circle and wind up with Windows 95, vintage 2032.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 03:05:36 PM »
I just had a notice yesterday on my other computer that the windows updater for Win 10 had stopped working.  I have no clue since I haven't even reserved the update yet.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 04:57:26 PM »
Been using W10 Build 10147 for almost 2 weeks now with no major problems. There are still some bugs, albeit minor, that are supposed to be corrected in Build 10159, just released. I'll install it this weekend, and see what is new and different.

Stay tuned!

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »
 :popcorn:
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »
Well, Build 10147 was short-lived, like 2 days, then another, a week, then Build 10240, which is probably going to be the final version for release.

The new start screen takes a little getting used to, but is functional, albeit somewhat busy. Most Windows 7 and
8.1 programs work in W10, Favorites can be imported to the new browser, Atom.

Avast anti-virus works like a charm on W10, and all the drivers work. My AdBlock doesn't, yet, but it is open source, so someone should have a version for  Atom. The user interface on Atom is different, but works nicely.  It's still smartphone-ish, but even I got used to it.

All in all, the whole package works well, the transition is fairly seamless, and  everything but the ad blocker works.

If you decide to try Windows 10, be sure you can re-install your current OS, in case you don't like it. As always, backup your files before the install.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 05:11:30 PM »
One of the things that I heard, that I don't like is that they eliminated dual boot capabilities.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 09:20:36 PM »
I decided to take the leap and upgrade the oldest PC from Windows 7 to 10. I tried it using Windows update and it seemed to be running smoothly, if very slowly. That is right up until it froze at 24% on the installation.  :rant:

Did some googling and found out it's a common problem using Windows Update.  Doing a hard shutdown will revert it back to Win 7.

I've already downloaded and burn an ISO file to a disk, so that will be tried tomorrow or sometime.

Bill Gates is truly the anti-Christ.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »
I got it installed on one computer and it doesn't play well with the Google Chrome browser. Shockwave Flash crashed on every page it tried to load on.

Searched around and didn't find any good answers. Microsoft told someone else to ask Google for help, but Flash was crashing in the Edge browser, too.

It turns out that both Chrome and Edge come preloaded with Flash and they mess each other up.

I disabled the version in Chrome, but that didn't help.  I had to disable the Flash that came with Edge to get it to work.

Offline Mike B the Cajun

• Pot Stirrer
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
Well, W10Pro Build 10240 is the final release. The OS, so far, is working very well, is fast and responsive.

The browser, Atom, is also fast, but lacks a lot of sophistication, does not work with HTML very well, and is just all-in-all crappy. Some add-ons won't work, like AdBocker Plus, for one.  I have gone back to IE.

Other than that, a the W7 and W8 drivers work well, and I had no problems on the laptop, an Acer. The desktop, an HP, has a tendency to not play well with my Cisco router, sometimes dropping the internal IP address on power-up, and Cisco Connect doesn't solve the problem. It  requires a reinstall of the router software. Major PITA.

All in all, i'm generally satisfied with Windows 10, other than Atom.