Author Topic: warped primitive banks out of sentimentality  (Read 640 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
warped primitive banks out of sentimentality
« on: February 11, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.org/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=114x56488

Oh my.

The primitives must have gotten their ponies, having all these bank accounts.

Until January 20, 2009, apparently they were too poor to have money in a bank.

dixiegrrrrl  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-10-09 09:35 AM
Original message

Poll question: What size bank do you use?

Poll result (60 votes) 

National /InterNational ( BOA, Citi,WFargo, etc)  (13 votes, 22%)
Regional ( serves several states)  (5 votes, 8%) 
State/Community  (9 votes, 15%) 
Credit Union  (30 votes, 50%) 
I switched from supporting the Too Big To Fail banks to banking locally in the past 2 years.  (1 votes, 2%) 
Other  (2 votes, 3%)

Wickerman  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-10-09 09:37 AM
Response to Original message

1. Credit Unions for me 

Nothing but for the last 25 years.

LiberalEsto  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-10-09 09:47 AM
Response to Reply #1

6. I switched to one last year because people at DU encouraged me to do so. I'm glad I did.

Wickerman  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-10-09 10:10 AM
Response to Reply #6

9. Pay three or four times more for worse service?

No reason to be at a "too big to fail" bank. My credit union has virtually no fees and they know me by name when I come in. Its more like the way the US used to be. Customer service and value for your money.

bunkerbuster1  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-10-09 09:40 AM

2. Big bank customer here. Guilty as charged.

Weaning myself from the oh-so-conveeenient online banking is down on my priority list, but it's on the list, anyway.

panader0  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-10-09 09:41 AM

3. Sad to admit: Chase

I will be switching to a credit union soon. Chase has done some bullshit to me. For example, I paid off a credit card last year, over 3K, and felt good untill two months later, I viewed my accounts on line and found that there has been a last interest payment they neglected to tell me about, and had attached a late payment fee on top of it. As a result, the interest rate on my other card skyrocketed to 27 percent. I felt the bank was to blame as I had clearly tried to pay the card off totally, and had not used it. They just told me tough shit, pay up.

MNDemNY  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-10-09 09:43 AM

5. Piggy, it's about 8" tall, 14" long, 6" wide.

yy4me  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-10-09 09:55 AM

7. I moved my meager assets from a much larger county wide bank to a very small stockholder owned bank in my home town. I did the bankrate.com thing, I know the personnel at my new bank and I saw their published financial report. We have 2 stockholder banks in town that are used by many locals and both seem to be on fairly good footing. Put my small savings in a CD at 3%, and work out of my checkbook after the Social Security check comes. I will have an unemployment check coming for a while and that is helping with the heat for this old place.

Unemployment will run out by the time the heating season is over. At my age, competing for a job with dated skills is a case of wishful thinking. I just can't do it anymore.

I have to trust this bank, since I am alone and have to go by my gut feeling. My prior bank is building branches everywhere and in this economy, that is spreading yourself too thin in my opinion.

Just keeping my fingers crossed.

We're all keeping our fingers crossed, what with the 0bamareich underway.

regnaD kciN  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-10-09 10:07 AM

8. Was with WaMu for sixteen years...

...switched to BECU (credit union) four days after Chase took over.

So far, no complaints. As a matter of fact, BECU handled a screw-up on my part at no charge that would have cost me $132-$176 in bank fees had I stayed with WaMu/Chase.

customerserviceguy  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-10-09 11:12 AM

13. You forgot "piggy", or is that in Other?

I use KeyBank, but only because I trust them from my experiences with them on the West Coast. I had a great credit union back there, but over here in NY, they all seem to be pretty lame. I just pulled all of my money out of a CU that I set up an account with a year ago, it seemed that their online system was always broken down. And it took me a lot of hassle to get that online account up and running in the first place, way more hassle than I would have put up with in a commercial bank.

I guess CU's are just not ready for prime time here in NY. Their locations and hours are insufficient, or they just rate too low on Bankrate.com for me to trust.

tosh  (825 posts)      Tue Feb-10-09 01:33 PM

15. I use both of the local community banks, as does our family-owned business.

Both are old (1911 and 1936), closely-held institutions and I personally know every director on their boards.

I also maintain a credit union account that I opened when I was a state employee.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-10-09 04:51 PM

17. 2 mega banks, 1 brokerage and a small local bank

The two mega banks are Peter and Paul, Paul being the junk account I use for ATM purchases. George and Henry are the brokerage and small bank.

The latter is not doing well, unfortunately, but my funds are small and I'm only keeping the CDs there out of sentimentality. The other three are fine so far.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: warped primitive banks out of sentimentality
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 03:17:49 PM »
panader0  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-10-09 09:41 AM

3. Sad to admit: Chase

I will be switching to a credit union soon. Chase has done some bullshit to me. For example, I paid off a credit card last year, over 3K, and felt good untill two months later, I viewed my accounts on line and found that there has been a last interest payment they neglected to tell me about, and had attached a late payment fee on top of it. As a result, the interest rate on my other card skyrocketed to 27 percent. I felt the bank was to blame as I had clearly tried to pay the card off totally, and had not used it. They just told me tough shit, pay up.

Sounds like a bunch of bs but regardless these folks are the most inept gang that couldn`t shoot straight I have ever seen.
They woud eff up a wet dream as the saying goes.

Offline jukin

Re: warped primitive banks out of sentimentality
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 03:25:01 PM »
I have avoided the big banks but they bought up the banks I was in. Then they started putting up advertisements in spanish..WAMU had more in spanish than English.  Pissed me off but the mortgages are there. Now that JPM/Chase has bought them the spanish signs are gone.  Who would have thought catering to illegals would ever bring one of the nation's biggest down. [/sarc]

I know it is anecdotal but I have much more confidence in the bank now. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:35:20 PM by jukin »
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.