Author Topic: Someone please remind me why America is so great.  (Read 1148 times)

Online CC27

Someone please remind me why America is so great.
« on: February 05, 2009, 05:09:57 PM »

leftofthedial  (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-05-09 05:59 PM
Original message
About 30 million of us can't get a job at all. Millions of those who do have a job (or three or four) work the longest hours in the civilized world for below-poverty wages and no benefits. Those anachronistic middle class people who make a "living" wage and have benefits must now work longer and longer hours and find that the benefits are often unusable or have become worthless now that the economy is in the toilet.

Our political "leaders" work for our enemies and simply ignore our votes when it suits them.

Our roads, bridges, schools, power grid and other public infrastructure have not been up to current standards since the 1960's.

Our health care system serves only insurance companies, wealthy doctors and the ultra-wealthy elite who can afford care. Sick citizen? You are ****ed, pal.

Our education system is an underfunded, overly politicized joke.

Our economic system has been hijacked by a relative handful of predatory, greedy vermin who now own virtually everything, including our homes. We no longer have a viable manufacturing base. Indeed, we couldn't last two weeks without importing poisonous crap from China.

Our civil liberties have gone the way of the dodo bird; we now must shuffle through lines like a bunch of docile concentration camp inmates just to travel from one state to another. And god forbid your name (or one similar to it) ends up on the wrong government shitlist.

Our media are owned by our enemies, so the LAST thing you'll ever hear on the "public airwaves" is an ounce of truth.

How is this all that different from, say, the Soviet Union circa 1965? I mean except for the part where we don't really have health care or a manufacturing base or an education system. More to the point, how is this really any different from, say, England in the 1300's

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4989577

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Someone please remind me why America is so great.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »
Oh my.

I think the Dial soap primitive should look at the calendar.

It's been 16 days now, since inauguration of the 0bamareich, and the 0bamaites and 0bamaite primitives promised us things would happen right away, immediately.

Sixteen days is a lot of time to change things around.

I think the Dial soap primitive should ask 0bama what happened, as it's 0bama's ball now, and been 0bama's ball for sixteen days.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:36:48 PM »
Well, my wife and I work long hours, but the wages are sure as Hell not peanuts, though for reasons which have nothing to do with discrimination she works more hours for less pay than I do.  I haven't conquered every hill I started out to climb 30 years ago, but things have worked out pretty damn' OK, and some of those things turned out to be much less vauable than the things I actually did get along the way.  Seems pretty great awesome to me.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:38:49 PM »
Yet the DUmmie chooses to remain.

Wonder why that is.

Could it be that deep down, they know that they would be far worse off in any of the so called utopias that they readily proclaim to be "better" than the US.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »
Somebody didn't get their pony over on the Island.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Yet the DUmmie chooses to remain.

Wonder why that is.

Could it be that deep down, they know that they would be far worse off in any of the so called utopias that they readily proclaim to be "better" than the US.

He can certainly make America a better place by leaving.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 05:47:25 PM »
Well, geezuz, I really dislike being selfish here, thinking only of myself.

Speaking as a deaf person--a deaf person who has had certain, uh, advantages most of the deaf in America never had--but speaking as a deaf person always thought predestined to subsist on social security disability and free medical care regardless, I must say that the years 2001-2009, the administration of George Bush, proved to be the best, and most lucrative, years of my life thus far.

That's what's great about America--the chance to fail or succeed according to one's own temperament.  And it was greatest in America the past eight years, no other time having been so full of opportunities.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
leftofthedial left his brain somewhere.   ::)  I've never been to Africa, but I've seen the starving people there.  I've never been to Mexico, but I've seen the people who live in garbage dumps.  I've been to Europe, and I saw firsthand that they have less freedoms than we do.  In Austria, you can't even buy tools unless you are trained and licensed to own them!  

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 06:02:17 PM »

Ok.  It is because the United States of America has so far survived every liberal assault on her founding. 

Next question.

Offline Redstatecka

• Thanks, Dad!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »

Ok.  It is because the United States of America has so far survived every liberal assault on her founding. 

Next question.

Indeed. That and among many other reasons: We have a Constitution that allows freedom of speech for all Americans, even those with terminal HUTA syndrome. And those who, when they open their cakeholes -- sorry, their croissant openings, with regard to liberals and leftists -- can utter pure nonsense without being silenced.
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ! For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity and freedom of worship here." -- Patrick Henry, 1765

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »
leftofthedial  (1000+ posts)      Thu Feb-05-09 05:59 PM
Original message

If you have to ask... :whatever:
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 07:08:20 PM »
Quote from:
leftofthedial

Because it allows someone as stupid as you to voice their opinion without fear of being imprisoned.  Of course in the America you want, that wouldn't be the case.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 12:18:21 AM »
work the longest hours in the civilized world for below-poverty wages and no benefits

Name a civilized nation with a higher per capita income? Half the world makes less than $1  a day moron

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 07:57:23 AM »
30 million can't get work? Hmm, if there are only 300 million in the country, and I'll assume 130 million are children or retirees, leaving 170 million eligible workers, wouldn't that be about 12 million?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »
US unemployment hits 7.6%

7.6%...OK.  Maybe I misrecall, but we managed to recover all these other times without massive "stimulus," didn't we?

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline blitzkrieg_17

• The harder they come, the harder they fall
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »
It was great until you and your communist friends ****ed it up.
Caught somewhere in time

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »
Gosh, they are so hung up on vacations and time off that they completely lose sight of why people work to begin with. I get 4 weeks vacation and I have to make a concerted effort to use it all. I enjoy going to work and I enjoy what I do for a living. I work because they need me and I feel my job is important to the smooth operation of things. No one forces me to be there. They are as concerned with getting paid for not doing anything as they are with getting paid more than their skills are worth.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.